CZ 75 SP01 vs Jericho 941 (aka 'Baby Eagle')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZ 75 SP01 vs Jericho 941 (aka 'Baby Eagle')

G'day,

Has anyone tried both the CZ 75 and the Israeli made Jericho 941? I have had a quick play with a CZ 75 and liked it but the all steel Jericho (CZ 75 / Tanfoglio clone) can be had right now 'on sale' with 4 mags for almost $500 less. The Jericho / Baby Eagle seems to get favourable reviews, as does the more common CZ 75. I did try the Jericho at a range in the US about 6 months ago but it was one of half a dozen handguns I tried, I remember I liked it but not much else. It would be used for IPSC.

Cheers.

There are more than a few different CZ 75 models, which did you try and which is the $500 more expensive model.

I note the safety is on the slide which may be inconvenient for some matches.

Comment

7600 commented
      Editing a comment
      No contest CZ all the way!

The SPO1 is purpose built for IPSC worth every cent more.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      $500 difference compared to the SP01 Shadow which is the one I checked out.

• SuperDuke
      SuperDuke commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guessing the 'Baby Eagle' would be used in production class so the safety wouldn't be an issue as you would start double action with the safety off.

Yeh, but every man and his dog has a CZ.
    For my money, the Jericho is minimalistic drop dead sexy.
    I'd get it just because it is different.....

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by galaxy" post=10408
      Yeh, but every man and his dog has a CZ.
      For my money, the Jericho is minimalistic drop dead sexy.
      I'd get it just because it is different.....
      Every man and his dog has one for a good reason. I have a Shadow and while I haven't tried the Eagle I know a guy who used a Beretta in IPSC who had a little trouble with a similar slide mounted safety.

You can probably get a plain CZ 75 or CZ 75B for less than $1k new but I would spend the money on a Shadow or the Tanfoglio equivalent myself.

Some facts:

It is a Tanfoglio. Israel contracts with Tanfoglio to produce these to a point where they can be finished in Israel and (under Israeli law) defined as "Made in Israel".

Cz75 mags do not work.

Small frame Tanfolglio mags work fine ( Witness, Force, basically any Series 88 model ) as this is just another small frame / Series 88 Tanfoglio variant.

Unlike other Series 88 Tanfoglios, this does not have an automatic firing pin block. The safety does several things:
    1) Rotates the firing pin inside the frame, so the hammer can't touch it
    2) Blocks the firing pin internally
    3) Drops the hammer
    4) Decouples the trigger

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nalioth" post=10531
      Some facts:

It is a Tanfoglio. Israel contracts with Tanfoglio to produce these to a point where they can be finished in Israel and (under Israeli law) defined as "Made in Israel".

Cz75 mags do not work.

Small frame Tanfolglio mags work fine ( Witness, Force, basically any Series 88 model ) as this is just another small frame / Series 88 Tanfoglio variant.

Unlike other Series 88 Tanfoglios, this does not have an automatic firing pin block. The safety does several things:
      1) Rotates the firing pin inside the frame, so the hammer can't touch it
      2) Blocks the firing pin internally
      3) Drops the hammer
      4) Decouples the trigger
      Good info, thanks. Have you shot one?

You could always see about finding a Jericho 941 F model. The "F" denotes it has a frame mounted safety

Not sure if you guys get Canik pistols down there, but the Canik Shark is a copy of the Jericho 941 F:

Comment

• Aussie44
      Aussie44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nalioth" post=10629
      Not sure if you guys get Canik pistols down there, but the Canik Shark is a copy of the Jericho 941 F:
      So It's a copy of a copy :lol: :lol:

• trumpychris
      trumpychris commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nalioth" post=10629
      You could always see about finding a Jericho 941 F model. The "F" denotes it has a frame mounted safety

I really like the look of that!

Which after all the import hassle you'd have to go to, might not be much less than the real thing in the end Lol

Not mentioning extra mags/equipment

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by zhuk" post=10860
      Which after all the import hassle you'd have to go to, might not be much less than the real thing in the end Lol
      It's a common misconception that Tanfoglios 9mm pistols are clones of the CZ75.

This is simply not true at all. "Clone" implies that parts can be interchanged at will, but even Tanfoglio's first design was not fully interchangeable with the inspiration (the CZ75). With the Series 88 pistols, there are virtually no interchangeable parts.

Also, the Tanfoglio's internals work a bit differently than the CZ.

IMHO, it's more accurate to say Tanfoglios 9mm pistols were "inspired" by the CZ75, rather than call them "copies" or "clones".

Originally posted by zhuk" post=10860
      Not mentioning extra mags/equipment
      Tanfoglio series 88 magazines will fit the Jericho. Magazine availability should not be an issue for it.

The Jericho was a joint development between IMI (the small arms decision has since been privatized and became IWI) and Tanfoglio. The only semi auto handgun IWI had ever built before was the Desert Eagle which is by no means conventional so they sought outside assistance. The Jericho is essentially an ultra rugged and reliable version of a Tanfoglio partially manufactured by Tanfoglio. Aside from one particular special batch, they don't produce competition models. The other thing is that they're only bringing the slide mounted decocker safety into the country (you want the frame mounted version).

The smart thing is to buy a Tanfoglio, the new Tanfoglio Stock III Xtreme is built to topple the Shadow. Existing guns with the new Xtreme parts retrofitted are absolutely phenomenal.

Another question to ask yourself: Is the Australian market special version of the Jericho on the IPSC Production Division approved list?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Gidge" post=12681
      The Jericho was a joint development between IMI (the small arms decision has since been privatized and became IWI) and Tanfoglio. The only semi auto handgun IWI had ever built before was the Desert Eagle which is by no means conventional so they sought outside assistance. The Jericho is essentially an ultra rugged and reliable version of a Tanfoglio partially manufactured by Tanfoglio. Aside from one particular special batch, they don't produce competition models. The other thing is that they're only bringing the slide mounted decocker safety into the country (you want the frame mounted version).

The smart thing is to buy a Tanfoglio, the new Tanfoglio Stock III Xtreme is built to topple the Shadow. Existing guns with the new Xtreme parts retrofitted are absolutely phenomenal.

Another question to ask yourself: Is the Australian market special version of the Jericho on the IPSC Production Division approved list?

What Aust compliant version is that, Gidge? I can only find the 941 F/R or PL/RPL which are (allegedly) 112mm barrel

Prod list

JERICHO 941, 941S, 941F, 941FS, 941FB, 941FBL, 941R, 941RB, 941RS

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive got a Brand new jericho baby eagle 2 9mm and it shoots awesome. genuine magnum research mags are only $50 (and they have tangfolios "T" stamped on them), compared to about $80 for cz. most parts are interchangable.
      only holster i found that would fit that wasnt made to specifically was a double alpha sp01 shadow holster.

Ive out shot other club members with shadows and more experience multiple times with my jericho.

if more people had experience with them or were willing to try something different there would be more around.

CZ didnt get popular being crap.... if the jericho was better. there would be more around.

Comment

hey guys

I personally havent shot a jericho, but one of the very experienced guys at our club has one and used it for a while. Never a complaint and always the centre of discussion. Always only positive comment about it.
      Im not sure if he has posted on here or not, as I dont know if hes on here or what his name wold be.
      All comes down to personal preference. Im not a SP01 or tanfog fan either, just cos I like to be different to what pretty much everyone else uses apart from Block.
      Must allow people to be individual and allow them to be different with out the sly snarly comment like "staring you in the face"

If you can, have a shot of both, at least have a good fondle and play with one.

MM
      "shoot straight shoot quick"
      Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

7600 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Martymonster" post=12761
        hey guys

I personally havent shot a jericho, but one of the very experienced guys at our club has one and used it for a while. Never a complaint and always the centre of discussion. Always only positive comment about it.
        Im not sure if he has posted on here or not, as I dont know if hes on here or what his name wold be.
        All comes down to personal preference. Im not a SP01 or tanfog fan either, just cos I like to be different to what pretty much everyone else uses apart from Block.
        Must allow people to be individual and allow them to be different with out the sly snarly comment like "staring you in the face"

If you can, have a shot of both, at least have a good fondle and play with one.

MM
        Marty,
        The OP's last line of his first post was " It would be used for IPSC." Now he dosen't qanitfy that statement by saying I'm a Newb & only want to shoot IPSC at club level (No problem with that) However those that have been around the IPSC game for any length of time will tell you if you ask (& he did) that the CZ/Tanfog line of pistols rule in IPSC production competition, for good reason.
        Mate I have been to nearly every IPSC Nationals since Production was introduced and have shot Production at some of those matches, The Number of Jericho's I have seen in the holsters of the top 20 of so competitors I could count on 1 hand with all my fingers closed.
        Is the Jericho a good gun...Yes it is well made & reliable.....It is suitable for IPSC.....Yes but as I & several others have pointed out if you want to be competitive in IPSC & you ask which is better the answer with no malice intended is staring at you in the face - the CZ SPO1 (Or Tanfog Stock2/3) .

7600, dude I completely agree, but..... he may not want to go to the nationals, if he does want to go to the nationals, he may wanna have some thing different on his belt.

I get ribbed for using an M&P, but I love it and dont think using an IPSC inspired CZ or tanfog would make any difference for me.

I just need more practice and tke it more seriuosly to improve

MM
      "shoot straight shoot quick"
      Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

7600 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Martymonster" post=13167
        7600, dude I completely agree, but..... he may not want to go to the nationals, if he does want to go to the nationals, he may wanna have some thing different on his belt.

I get ribbed for using an M&P, but I love it and dont think using an IPSC inspired CZ or tanfog would make any difference for me.

I just need more practice and tke it more seriuosly to improve

MM
        Marty,
        Thats the problem with this type of threads the OP's usually provides very vague info. Agreed they may not aspire to shoot in the Nationals or at national level but they don't usually relay this effectively so those who have the experiance can only guess what they want. A vague It will be used for IPSC (or Service etc etc) is little help and we can only give advice on our own knowledge.
        If you don't want the advice don't ask the question & blindly carry on, be different thats fine use whatever you want but whats the point of asking advice to start with?

BTW thaters nothing wrong with M&P's they do just fine!

Well there you have it. 7600 says the Jericho is not a good choice. SW357 says it is.

Clear as mud! Ask a question on the web and this is what you get!

7600 has been playing the IPSC game for ages and shoots it well. Not sure about SW357. No contest IMO (Well that and the fact that 7600 is right that the SP01 wins hands-down!)

Comment

Cheers for the info mate

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I have gone with the CZ75 on used guns. If that deal had not come along I probably would have went with the Baby Eagle. For a club level shooter looking for something a little different I reckon it would have been OK, I guess I'll never know now. Thanks for the input guys.
      Working...
      X