AB&H Firearms Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB&H Firearms Safe

A rookie question perhaps, but I'm interested to know what suggestions you might have for 1) location for a firearms safe in a small terrace house that doesn't have any wardrobes or closets that could fit a sizeable AB&H cat. safe. The gun shop suggested I go 2 or 3 separate safes, but I prefer one large safe then to have my house peppered with them. And 2) Would any sane person have many safes about the house? The combo safe that I am looking at is a Spika (SCH1: http://www.spika.com.au/gun_safes.html) I don't really have a big enough hidey hole for it. I also cannot lug it upstairs because it's well 150 kg and the actual staircase is narrow as in most old terraces. I don't mind just having it in the hall towards the back of the house, but would you think the FAR would take umbrage at that? I'm hoping to make a decision soon as my LGS is having a 30% off sale on them this weekend. Thanks for your consideration. -Jen

Originally posted by CalamityJen" post=44573
    A rookie question perhaps, but I'm interested to know what suggestions you might have for 1) location for a firearms safe in a small terrace house that doesn't have any wardrobes or closets that could fit a sizeable AB&H cat. safe. The gun shop suggested I go 2 or 3 separate safes, but I prefer one large safe then to have my house peppered with them. And 2) Would any sane person have many safes about the house? The combo safe that I am looking at is a Spika (SCH1: http://www.spika.com.au/gun_safes.html) I don't really have a big enough hidey hole for it. I also cannot lug it upstairs because it's well 150 kg and the actual staircase is narrow as in most old terraces. I don't mind just having it in the hall towards the back of the house, but would you think the FAR would take umbrage at that? I'm hoping to make a decision soon as my LGS is having a 30% off sale on them this weekend. Thanks for your consideration. -Jen
    If it is secured in accordance with legislation it would be fine, as far as I can work out. You could always have a custom timber cupboard built to conceal it.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great idea to build a little (or not so little) number to conceal it. Mind you, If it's not against the law, I don't really mind it uncovered. It is what it is. We aren't really a high visitor/trafficked household which suits us in any case. I just wasn't sure if it had to be hidden by law? Thanks so much for your reply.

I posted this in another thread just this morning. Might suit you, it's a bit taller thinner and lighter. Looks to have a larger Cat H compartment and ammo compartment too.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Notch" post=44583
      I posted this in another thread just this morning. Might suit you, it's a bit taller thinner and lighter. Looks to have a larger Cat H compartment and ammo compartment too.
      Brilliant. I did have a look at that one on their site. Certainly the stated capacity should work. Is that the S3CH Large? 12 A/B/C capacity? It does look less bulky. Thanks for that.

So, I mustn't be the only one who thinks having a few safes around the joint seems odd? LOL

CMI Basic 1D, should have got the 2D as the Encore's not going to fit without taking the barrel off.

Factory second I can't tell why, couple of paint chips?

Oz

http://www.cmisafe.com.au/images/safes_and_security_products/commercial_safes/Basic%20Security.pdf

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Safari Firearms in Bexley is the LGS having a ripper of a sale.

Originally posted by CalamityJen" post=44573
    And 2) Would any sane person have many safes about the house?
    Sometimes one safe just isn't large enough

Plus "one for them to find" can work too.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

When I was safe shopping for ABH I worked out it was cheaper to buy a H safe (6mm steel) and a separate AB safe (2-3mm steel). Plus if broken into Mr Burgler would go for the AB safe since it's bigger and hopefully miss the H safe.

Comment

Mite sound like im gee ing ya up or a dumb ass idea, But
        What about the Kitchen in the Fridge Well , Reason 1 = You could put the fridge somewhere else, like outside the rear door ( If your fridge is outside or a bit away from kitchen , whats the worst thing ? yes you mite have to carry the milk or butter to the counter, so what! )
        Reason 2 = Also it could be a great talking point when friends or family are over for dinner
        Reason 3 = Your guns are more important than the fridge lol .

ps Like i said may sound a bit silly, but think about it this way, you could be the only one in your town or state who has a Gun safe in the kitchen
        just my opinion
        Cheers
        tk0
        Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
        Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
        Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
        Ruger American .22wmr
        BSA SuperSport XL .22
        Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
        Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

LOL In the fridge well doesn't seem all that unusual knowing me, I'd probably would go something firearm related first if given the choice. LOL

Comment

************************************************** ******************************************

CalamityJen, I installed mine under the enclosed staircase in the townhouse.

It's very cosy place and out of view, looks like a wine room.

Thanks....

************************************************** ******************************************

Comment

I was in a similar position to you, I went for the Spika SCH1 as I liked the idea of not bolting it down. Still not sure where "its" home will be - currently in spare bedroom. Once organised with reloading bench etc I will probably bolt it down but that will be down the track a bit.

Love the Spika by the way.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by saczed" post=54128
                I was in a similar position to you, I went for the Spika SCH1 as I liked the idea of not bolting it down. Still not sure where "its" home will be - currently in spare bedroom. Once organised with reloading bench etc I will probably bolt it down but that will be down the track a bit.

Love the Spika by the way.
                Que ?
                If you are in NSW and using it for cat H then you have to bolt it down regardless of the weight
            Working...
            X