Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mauser 98 bolt

Hey
    A while ago I was sold a mauser 98 in 22-250 and the bolt was pretty much buggered, I was just wondering if anyone has a bolt for sale that would suit the gun?

Originally posted by HIBBO" post=42688
    Hey
    A while ago I was sold a mauser 98 in 22-250 and the bolt was pretty much buggered, I was just wondering if anyone has a bolt for sale that would suit the gun?
    Whats buggered about the bolt?

Comment

Well the pin is piercing primers (after taking apart the bolt it looks like someone has tried to shorten it or something?) but it was sent to a gunsmithh a while back and he said he wants nothing to do with it because its too old.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HIBBO" post=42725
        Well the pin is piercing primers (after taking apart the bolt it looks like someone has tried to shorten it or something?) but it was sent to a gunsmithh a while back and he said he wants nothing to do with it because its too old.
        A new firing pin may be all that is required. Find another gunsmith, even if you went and got a new bolt, you will need to have the headspace checked as well before firing...

• Shooting Sports
        Shooting Sports commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HIBBO" post=42725
        Wit was sent to a gunsmith a while back and he said he wants nothing to do with it because its too old.

A 75year M98 probably better than most new rifles.
        Original and replacement firing pins / springs are widely available

• Straightshooter
        Straightshooter commented
        Editing a comment
        M98's are most commonly customised rifle actions and all parts are easily obtained.
        Ask around and you will find a gunsmith that will do the necessary repairs without grumbling or complaining.

ok, where would be a good place to look for one?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HIBBO" post=42736
        ok, where would be a good place to look for one?
        I have a couple...

However, post up some picks of your bolt, with a close up, of the cocking piece etc. lets try and narrow it down.

Sorry about the late reply been busy, these are some photo's I already had on my phone. just say and I'll get some more.
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HIBBO" post=44239
        Sorry about the late reply been busy, these are some photo's I already had on my phone. just say and I'll get some more.
        Ok, need a close up of the underside of the back of the bolt, and back of the side of the bolt, in particular, the piece, that is held and released by the trigger. I have a feeling some Bubba may have stoned this, or worse, to "improve", the trigger.

I'm just guessing where to takew photo's of haha new to these mausers
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by HIBBO" post=44466
        I'm just guessing where to takew photo's of haha new to these mausers
        Hibbo,
        I'm not home and on the phone, but the "cocking piece", doesn't look right.

The bolt is cocked so the firing ping is going to be back as it shows in the photos. Decock the bolt and see how much firing pin protrusion you have it should be between .055 and .065 . If hand loading try harder primers like Remingtons .
      Check the nose of the firing pin it may be chiped or ridged . If it's real hard to cock then it may have a too strong bodgy spring .
      Some Mauser firing pins have an almost flat point and it acts like a cookie cutter . The profile should be a more rounded dome shape . If you think the spring is way too strong leave the bolt cocked during storage untill it weakens off a bit , sometimes they do and sometimes they don't . Other than that fit a new Wolff replacement spring . I have a Wolff 24 lb spring in a mauser and it works good. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/791695/wolff-extra-power-firing-pin-spring-mauser-98-24-lb
      Heres a tutorial of how to go about it . http://carteach0.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/mauser-firing-pin-protrusion-solving.html

Comment

I've seen cocking pieces like that, they're usually from late war production (late war rifles are very sad looking, if anything is emblematic of the dire situation the nazi's were in, comparing a pre war mauser to a late war one is a good indication). Nothing wrong with the cocking piece, just the care and quality of finish went out the window as they were trying to get stuff out.

The important part, the bolt body, doesn't appear to be of the same war expediency, as it has the oblong vent holes and the guide rib still present.

If it's piercing primers, you'll have to check firing pin protrusion. Too much is a rarity, as someone would have to modify the pin and cocking piece for that to happen, unless you get tolerance stacked parts, but it's rarely a problem. The spring also needs to be sufficiently stiff. The other thing you may want to check is pressure.

Comment

Gunsmiths in my area are rare and a lot are just self taught so it's hard to find decent the closest good gunsmiths are in Melbourne but I don't travel that way often.
          Would anyone happen too have a pin and possibly a spring too I could purchase just to try out, If it doesn't work out ill just return it. this was hopefully going to be a reliable rough ute gun just for spotlighting foxes. any help with parts would be greatly appreciated.
          cheers guys

Comment

Bolt just came up on used guns to suit mark x . These are a copy/ refirb of the 98 as far as I know. I don't think you will need a replacement, but its an option. I'ts a 308 boltface and $250.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=45333
              Bolt just came up on used guns to suit mark x . These are a copy/ refirb of the 98 as far as I know. I don't think you will need a replacement, but its an option. I'ts a 308 boltface and $250.
              The bolt shroud is different from a Mark X mauser, you would have to check the cocking cam to see if it is a Mark X bolt.

Mark X bolts have slightly reduced firing pin fall for improved lock time.
          Working...
          X