Hearing Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Protection

Here are the latest government stats from some new legislation to consider when purchasing and using Hearing Protection

Shooting Ranges
    Shooting ranges come in many shapes and sizes and can exist both outdoor and indoors and use a number of different types of firearms.

The nature of firing a firearm is such that it produces very high peak sound pressure levels even with small calibres. These peak levels cause impulsive sound to reach the inner ear and because of the characteristics of impulsive type sounds (i.e. very high sound levels occur in a matter of microseconds), our ears are more prone to hearing damage than with sounds emitted from operating machines.

The human ear has a protective mechanism, called the aural reflex, which activates in about 25 milliseconds when sudden loud sounds reach the ear. This reflex is said to be capable of reducing the sound volume by up to 8dB.

In the case of firearm shots, research has shown that under open field conditions, a typical rifle shot at four metres lasts up to four milliseconds. It follows therefore that the aural reflex is unable to afford a degree of protection against hearing damage caused from firearm noise.

The second part of the problem lies in the extreme high noise levels involved - even when hearing protectors are worn correctly, the amount of protection afforded may not be sufficiently adequate to protect the wearer against hearing damage. This is particularly true when shooting larger calibre weapons.

In addition, lead and lead contaminants may be present in the breathing zone of the shooter following the firing of a weapon. Lead contamination is absorbed into a person's body, even through the ear and because it is toxic to the ear can increase the potential hearing loss.
    Typical noise levels from firearms

Some typical noise sources from firearms include:

Outdoor range
    pistol cal. 22 @ 10 m to the side 127 - 129dB peak(C)
    rifle cal 7.62 mm @ 2 m to the side 154 - 158dB peak(C)
    rifle cal 5.56 mm @ ear level 156 - 157dB peak(C)
    revolver cal .38 @ ear level 149 - 153dB peak(C)

Indoor range
    pistol cal .38 @ approx. 1.5 m behind 145 - 147dB peak(C)
    pistol 9 mm @ approx. 1.5 m behind 147 - 149dB peak(C)
    12 gauge pump action shotgun 150 - 151dB peak(C)
    Noise control measures

There are no legal engineering noise control measures that can be taken. Wearing appropriate personal hearing protectors is of the utmost importance.

Choose personal hearing protectors appropriate for:

the noise levels produced
    type of weapon being fired

In the case of larger or more powerful calibers there would be a need for wearing earplugs in combination with a top of the range earmuff. This is particularly important in circumstances where a large number of rounds are to be fired.

Last updated 26 November 2013

Is there any sort of ear plugs that are electronic like the ear muffs you can buy because i find that when the weather warms up they get abit sticky the muffs that is

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Archie" post=45599
      Is there any sort of ear plugs that are electronic like the ear muffs you can buy because i find that when the weather warms up they get abit sticky the muffs that is
      Yes, hearing aids and similar devices are available. They used to be very expensive but I haven't looked at prices and what is available since about 10 years ago.

not that I know of.
    other than a AAA battery in each ear.

Comment

• Archie
      Archie commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=45603
      not that I know of.
      other than a AAA battery in each ear.
      i might need AA's ive got big bloody ears

Peltor SportTac, any caliber...can't beat them...hunting or at a range. I'm sticking with them.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Working...
    X