What makes Harris so good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes Harris so good?

Hi All, this is just a question that I have had for ages but have not until now asked....... What makes Harris Bipods so good? Or supposedly so good?
    I ask because I have been wanting a bi pod for my Howa for a long time but have been put of by the $100+ pricetag for even a secondhand one...! Eventually I jumped on Ebay and bought a chinese one for $12 and have been using that in the mean time. The Chinese one performs fine!! Construction is probably a little flimsier and attention must be paid to ensure that it is all secured properly at the start of the day, but other than that I am quite happy with it ( for the price). Has soemone used both? Is the Harris really "that" much better? Why?

Regards

a real Harris is basically the bare minimum of quality bipods.

as for the Chinese copies it might hold your rifles forend up to take a few happy snaps but its not going to be dependable.

just depends how serious you are about it all. you wouldn't buy a $5 mouse for your computer from ebay/china and expect much well the same goes for bipods and anything really.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      to expand on that, Harris bipods are very well made, the springs are very , very strong the feet are a very solid rubber and the attachment system is rock solid. where they fall down against higher end bipods is the feature set.

they will still rust in tropical environments without a little wipe down with oil after a days shooting

you can guarantee a harris will perform as designed without any failures but with the chinese one it will always be a matter of when/how it fails. even as you say you have to ensure it is secure at the start of the day. a harris you wont have that concern.

Time will tell . I once had that thought . Till one day I went to the range and used my harris knock off and it fell apart after a few range visits . Straight in the bin . Try loading your bipod up then you'll see how strong it really is.

Comment

i have a real harris, as well as a couple of copies.
      i have noticed that the springs on the harris are stiffer/stronger, and that the legs are also stiffer, with less flex.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyboy" post=40882
        Hi All, this is just a question that I have had for ages but have not until now asked....... What makes Harris Bipods so good? Or supposedly so good?
        I ask because I have been wanting a bi pod for my Howa for a long time but have been put of by the $100+ pricetag for even a secondhand one...! Eventually I jumped on Ebay and bought a chinese one for $12 and have been using that in the mean time. The Chinese one performs fine!! Construction is probably a little flimsier and attention must be paid to ensure that it is all secured properly at the start of the day, but other than that I am quite happy with it ( for the price). Has soemone used both? Is the Harris really "that" much better? Why?

Regards
        My answer, all of the above

Comment

Harris are quality and the knock offs are crap. Simple as that IMO !!!

Shooting targets the knock offs = larger groups

JH

Comment

I love my Harris bipod. It was worth every cent.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0138.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	52805
            Formally know as 462......

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
              SmoothOperator_87 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've used both the Harris fixed and swivel smooth legs and in comparison to a copy ( won't mention what) they are much sturdier an have better strength an finish.

The copies are just rip offs to a cheaper an inferior standard in finish and strength

It's like wearing a $5 tee shirt vs. a $80 tee shirt, you can just feel the difference....
            I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Super6one" post=41153
              It's like wearing a $5 tee shirt vs. a $80 tee shirt, you can just feel the difference....
              my ex used to work for polo ralph lauren - she said the shirts they were selling for $140 were brought in for $7.50!
          Working...
          X