Pistol info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol info needed

Had a look at a repro .36 BP pistol today, a Siller & (something), maybe Italian
    Has a brass receiver and blued cylinder and hex barrel
    Looks in fair condition, a little loose in the charger handle, but the bore looks fine and the cylinder is comfortable.
    Comes with some ball (and a few pointed projectiles - "minnies"?)
    Also a home built press for off the gun charging, and a can of FFFFg.
    How do I determine a price ?

I called into the local gun shop to ask about powder supplies, and he reckons that Trail Boss can be used in BP revolvers.
    Anybody know of this?
    Should I get FFFg or FFFFg?
    How do I know if it takes #10 or #11 caps?

I'm on a steep learning curve.
    thanks

just sayin'.

4F will work fine
    The iti replicas take No. 10'' s

Tell that LGS to flush his trail boss - Rule 1 BP pistol use only BP!
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

hi checked a guns illustrated 1975 they had a spiller and burr priced at $69.95 US . Brass framed revolvers are not as strong as steel . In the book it says that they were using FFF . Not sure what price . At the gun show in Adelaide a Remington copy 1858 , steel frame in good nick sold for $100.00.
      As for trail boss have only heard of this been used in cartridge rifles . I would stick to black powder . Hope this helps . Scott

Comment

Brass frame are pretty weak but being a .36 it should be okay. DO NOT put trailboss in it you will blow it up. If you can't get proper bp I have seen Alliant blackmz on the shelves which is a substitute and will be safe in a muzzleloader. As for price I sold my old uberti Remington .44 for $175 so I wouldn't pay anymore than that.

Comment

Thanks guys
          I thought the Trail Boss comment was a bit off, but mebbe there was something I didn't know.
          BP only it is
          I did some time on google last night
          turns out its a Spiller and Burr, .36BP, 1862 replica by Pietta (italy) (with the brass frame)
          I think I'll grab it as i'm told it's a good price he's asking, considering ball, caps, powder and press in the deal.

Now, what's the best prices for FFFg and #10 caps to be found around Sydney?
          And, I'm assuming I'll be moulding my own.
          LEE twin cav 36 mould?

just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
          X