Compound bows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My broadheads were ozcut from memory and I never did learn how to sharpen them.
    It's the lump in the middle that makes it seem impossible.
    I bought a neat little plastic holder come spanner type tool so you are not risking fingers when fitting the broadheads.

If the shop dude didn't tell you, never practice with an open grip hand to keep a loose grip as loose fingers getting sliced with a broadhead taking off does happen.
    Best to make a habit of wrapping fingers around the grip and just loosening the muscle tension if that's how to explain it.

A uTube vid surprised me with how much flex a carbon shaft does when it is pushed off, not sure if it stabilizes or keeps gyrating through the flight.
    Those evil little 3 blade things may well fly better
    I just kept the same as field tip weight and did a few naughty test flicks at the archery field as I wasn't going to wreck my own targets.
    The broadheads seemed to shoot the same at 30m so I left it at that.

Keen to see if I can get grouping again at 30 and 40m but my private bush field may need a brush cutting session, not as keen on that.
    I can just pay the small association fee to access the big club field and use my own targets as I have a decent range finder.
    Sort of need one for bow hunting as it does the angle compensating calcs.
    4m out because of a steep hill could be a miss.

Seen a funny vid with these keen blokes hunting deer with trad bows.
    They go bare foot for the stalk but this dude bursts out crying when he shoots one.
    Not sure if he expected his mate to give him a cuddle or what but I think I would have to carry a warm beer to offer him.
    Not like you can carry the esky out hunting.
    When his missus had a baby, the nurses would have had to abandon her to console him and stop him rolling around on the floor in tears.

Comment

I know there’s a few archery clubs in the area, there’s two that I know of at Toronto, another traditional archers club at the north end of the M1 freeway and there’s Feral Archery at Maitland a few nights a week. Feral Archery is worth a look as the lady who runs it both her and her husband are both champion archers and have a ton of awards, they’re very friendly and taught me a lot. I’d definitely recommend a few visits there for some
      pointers.
      Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

This is the exact model I have, the Bear Legion. Click image for larger version

Name:	8C99480D-A34D-4F95-B403-8D43656CD689.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	325996
        Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Cheers Magoo thank you for the tip.
          no he didn't get to explain that,

yeah they reckon they cop a hiding the carbon fiber arrows especially when they punch thru bones and muscle.
          cheers Several thank you I might mosy on up there and have a look see.
          that's a nice looking bow.
          the one I was looking at was the Bear species.
          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Yeah, it's just too easy to practice with field tips that way, but not worth the risk if you hunt.
            Can't hunt with field tips because even a rabbit can bolt with the arrow in it.
            Razor-sharp broadheads are the best chance to pass through and pulling over 50lb to get them going.

Mine is the Species and I don't really need anything more but all the serious hunters and blokes at the 3D shoots use the dual cam bows rather than the single cam with one round wheel. The single cam is easier to tune and adjust as you don't have to get both pulleys timed the same.
            Bear make a few good solid entry level bows and the components seem reasonable.

A better bow would cost heaps more by the time you add better components to suit.
            Only way would be second-hand or pay heaps.

Some extras can be had cheap from ebay, I got a bigger, better front stabilizer rod thingo that is still not too long for hunting.
            Everyone seems to use them.

I got rid of the rubber tube that keeps the peep aligned as it broke a few times and near flicked into my eye.
            Just hard to keep the sight aligned as factory strings are not as good as the good ones and stretch and twist.
            I found a few tricks and still run the original string, 5 years maybe.

Comment

I took up biw hunting in the late 80s with a view to hunting deer outside the southern boundary of the Royal National Park.

I went cheap and bought a 55lb bear recurved with now quiver, half a dozen wood shafr broad heads and half a dozen field point arrows of the same weight and a bow sight. I practised in my back yard until I could consistently put my arrows in to a paper plate at 20m. At that point I felt comfortable in trying to hunt up a deer. I'd been that close to them often enough with a camera in the park. Different story outside the park....

So I went to learn my craft hunting goats which was also an education in understanding your quarry. So much bloody easier with a rifle! Eventually got a couple of goats with the bow, and never did get a deer.

I can tell you that bow hunting takes it much closer to "fairness" to the quarry when hunting, but a rifle is far more humane.

Just my two cents worth.
              I have more guns than I need but not as many as I want

Comment

Working...
              X