How long can you reasonably keep a springer cocked when hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you reasonably keep a springer cocked when hunting?

I tend to not wander around with a cocked rifle when hunting - be it rats, mynas, pigs, whatever - but it seems some spring gun users do judging by videos on youtube, and having missed a few opportunities due to not being ready to fire, perhaps I should consider it. But once I have cocked the rifle I generally don't like to keep it that way for more than a minute or 2 in case the spring gets tired.

How do you spring gun hunters roll when out in the field? What's the suggested maximum time keeping a springer cocked?
    Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

With a modern springer, you should be absolutely fine with a compressed spring for at least one week without risk of weakening the main spring. While this is possible, it is not recommended.

Some older rifles may lose up to 25 percent of muzzle velocity after just one hour with a compressed spring but this is not true for well maintained, quality air rifles.

For a standard hunting outing, I keep the rifle cocked with safety on. I will discharge the rifle if negotiating a fence or similar, then re-cock, engage safety and be ready to engage pests at zero notice.

Good hunting.

Comment

A spring will last a number of cycles. It should not matter how long it is cocked.

Cock, keep cocked and hunt.

Comment

• mattw975
        mattw975 commented
        Editing a comment
        There was an article in Airgun World on the matter earlier this year, Geoff where are you ?

Originally posted by Oddball" post=43381
        A spring will last a number of cycles. It should not matter how long it is cocked.

Cock, keep cocked and hunt.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Oddball" post=43381
        It does make a difference, especially if you leave the spring loaded for long periods. If you are hunting it is best to be ready and silent but don't leave a springer cocked if it isn't required.

I do the same with my air rifle that i do with my Rim or CF rifles when hunting.
      I only "Cock it" or " bolt it " when I am ready for a shot and this is for only one reason ! Safety!
      If I see a target (be it game) I cock it , if for some reason The shots not on (like it runs off or moves ) and I am not going to go with the shot.
      This is what I do and I say it again I do ( because everyone has a different opinion or way )
      I just De-cock it (we all know how to do this, de-cock a AR ) or if it a CF or Rimfire , I open the bolt .

I don't know or care weather it wears out the spring , but with me its all about safety.
      I have seen and heard of so many accidents over the years, with everything from Semi auto's and hand guns to Air rifles.
      Be safe peeps
      cheers
      Tk0
      Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
      Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
      Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
      Ruger American .22wmr
      BSA SuperSport XL .22
      Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
      Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Automatic safety's prevent de cocking, if there is a grub screw that can be removed so the safety will still come when cocking, but still allow de-cocking consider taking it out. Then you can un cock it when you like.

But don't do this is it prevents the safety come on at all, the safety is a must have.

Seems there are two issues to be addressed here .
      Firstly, the desirability of moving around your hunting area with a cocked/loaded firearm, "just in case" there is some game to dispatch, and you need to be ready. Right?
      Secondly, the durability of the spring. Whilst it might be fair comment that older springs might have lost some of their compressibilty over the years after manufacture, I think the modern equipment is a whole lot more durable than you are suggesting it might be (dis)credited for.
      Consider this. Most modern motor vehicles have each corner resting on a spring, usually a coil. Throughout the course of the next 100,000km or so, and perhaps several years, it has remained compressed. Yes, eventually it does lose some of its original properties and sags a bit, but not rapidly nor drastically so.
      I would suggest that modern air rifles have components that are equally durable. Don't lose any sleep over keeping it cocked and compressed.
      When governments fear the people, there is Liberty: When people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When I want to de-cock the HW80 I just break the barrel open, hold onto it firmly and press the trigger and slowly close the barrel, works fine, go through the fence or whatever and just cock again as normal.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Working...
        X