Can someone please tell me if this rabbit is ok to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please tell me if this rabbit is ok to eat?

Hey all, got a pic of the liver (i think) and Apparently if it has white or yellow bits it's no good, but seeing as this is my first time gutting etc... I have no idea what I'm really looking for.

So this is the pic - help me please!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	51377

Check this out mate

http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/hunting/3280-white-marks-on-rabbit-liver-ok
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

hmm I'm really not sure. I checked out the thread, plus the other thread link inside the one you posted, but I'm still clueless. If someone has any idea from looking at the pic I posted, I'd really appreciate it.

Luke

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Burp is the bloke to ask

Looks fine to me - Rabbits with Myxomatosis usually have very obvious cream-coloured spots on their livers - Not that eating a rabbit that had mitsy would hurt a human anyway - BTW See that yellow bean-shaped thing - That`s the gall-bladder - You just need to nip that out and chuck it.
      "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks druid

Even after years of processing roos I still get squeamish so I tend not to look

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Druid 66" post=39438
        Looks fine to me - Rabbits with Myxomatosis usually have very obvious cream-coloured spots on their livers - Not that eating a rabbit that had mitsy would hurt a human anyway - BTW See that yellow bean-shaped thing - That`s the gall-bladder - You just need to nip that out and chuck it.
        Excellent! Thx druid, I was wondering what that jellybean was all about. So i guess it's a good looking Liver then! Sweet!

One thing I noticed - Bunnies have that sickening sweet smell like roo meat does. I've had to put some incense on cuz Its stained my sinuses.

Looks healthy to me
      The TRUTH is out there,
      the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
      We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
      That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

What you are looking at is a nice healthy chunk of offal........so rip it out and tuck in!

A good liver should be a rich red with no mottling, nodes, lumps or cysts.

On the old Shooting dot com website there was quite a good thread instituted by Burp, maybe if he sees this one he can contribute and add pictures should he still have them.

In the meantime, these should help you out as examples of things to avoid:

If in doubt, throw it out!

Comment

I would`nt chuck out the liver (or the kidneys) myself - Chop them up and bung them in with the pie too - Give it a bit more taste
          "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

Working...
          X