Advice re. HW50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re. HW50

I recently purchased an older model HW50. Appears to be in good condition and well looked after. However it is only doing around 535fps with H&N FTT .177 pellets. What should I be expecting?
    It does not have a safety or trigger adjustment.
    Bought it to help get some of our juniors shooting. Target shooting mainly
    Around 22lbs cocking effort.
    I know nothing about these so am asking for some good advice and general information about it.
    Would it be worth a good tune up ?
    I await your learned replies. Still not sure why I really bought it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Jim

That's not too bad for an old gun.
    It'll probably come up a bit with a good service and a bit of a tune.
    New seals, both piston and breech would certainly help.
    You could fit a kit if you wanted to refurbish it further.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I know they changed the poweplant in the 50 series. I believe the first models are less powerful.
      Does it have the rekord trigger unit?
      Great model IMO
      I had one of the new ones but sold it to fund my R7

Originally posted by oldfarmer" post=45134
    I recently purchased an older model HW50. Appears to be in good condition and well looked after. However it is only doing around 535fps with H&N FTT .177 pellets. What should I be expecting?
    I know nothing about these so am asking for some good advice and general information about it.
    I await your learned replies. Still not sure why I really bought it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jim
    Looks like you might have been ripped off, old mate, you should send it my way :lol: :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Early 50's produced mid 500's out of the box.

If it were mine, (like any second hand airgun), I couldn't stop my self pulling the thing apart for a check of the internals, and a clean and lube at the least.

Tuning works wonders on them, just ask A13 (soon to be A14)

Originally posted by oldfarmer" post=45134
    Jim

Comment

• grmkc
      grmkc commented
      Editing a comment
      A13's was pumping out about 762 fps with 10 fps spread (+/- 5) freshly tuned. The spread will have dropped by now with settling in. It was with 8.64 grain FTTs with around 11.14 fpe.

A tune will do wonders for it. Nice rifle to shoot before and even nicer after tune.

Jim,
    Don't be confused by some forum members figures as your 50 is the original HW 50 not to be confused with the newer model mentioned, they are the bigger brother to the HW 30 and rated about 50 fps more and should shoot around the high 600's close to 700 fps. You could if you're not airgunsmith orientated remove the stock, lye it flat on it's back and with some warmed up grease to make it flow a little rather than blob on ( which you should read another recent post on lubrication advice ) and a cotton bud smear it onto the spring through the cocking slot then get some Silicone chamber oil and add 5 drops down the transfer port and stand it upright for a few days, the way to get it in there is break the barrel before cocking then add a drop onto the port and cock it but not all the way, that way it will suck it in, repeat five times as yours will have a leather piston seal and would be as dry as a bone, that way the piston seal will swell and should create a better seal hence improve velocity then oil all the pivot points etc and it should be just fine.

My HW 50 is the older model also and a pleasure to shoot.
    ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, WHO'S BRINGING THE CHIPS?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Andrew T" post=45406
      Jim,
      Don't be confused by some forum members figures as your 50 is the original HW 50.
      Though I have no personal experience with an original HW 50, the chronied figure I mentioned is courtesy of the respected airgun aficionado John Walter in his "The Airgun Book"

....Early model .177 HW 50 (with no safety catch "Perfekt" trigger) tested produced 547 fps (9.28 fp) with RWS Diabolo.

Thanks for all your advice. It does not have the Rekord trigger and the one it has is a bit average however it is easy to shoot even though range seems to be a bit limited.
    It will have to wait until after xmas to see if I have any cash left.

Just knew Strikey be ready with a quick reply. There is still 1 on used gun sales I think.
    Jim

Comment

• grmkc
      grmkc commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't be confused by some forum members figures as your 50 is the original HW 50 not to be confused with the newer model mentioned,
      Good point Andrew.
Working...
X