Maintaining an under lever springer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining an under lever springer?

Im about to get my first air rifle in a long, long time and it will most likely be the most powerful air rifle I've ever owned, it's only a norica dream hunter which I know by the posts here may well be looked down upon by owners of high end air weapons...lol!
    My question is, what is the correct way to maintain/lubricate such a thing?
    I'm well aware not to pour oil into the piston chamber for fear of dieseling but surely there must be something I should be doing to keep this running at its best?
    Thanks in advance for your advice!

The lubrication on the inside is good for many thousands of pellets.
    You don't need to add to this.
    Ceratinly doesn't need oiling or anything like that on the inside.

Lube the pivot points, clean the barrel sparingly and that's it for quite some time.
    If you feel the need, a dab of grease where the cocking arm connects with the piston.
    Wipe down any blued surface with an oily rag to keep it from rusting.

If at any point the action stops being smooth to cock and feels rough, it's time for a service.
    This may be many tins down the track. With a heavy springer it'll arrive sooner, a lightly sprung model may never get there.

Feed it some decent quality ammo and enjoy.

Comment

I think that is a nice looking gun & it certainly gets a good review here:

http://www.targetsportsmagazine.com/features/view/10248/air-rifle-review-like-a-dream/

Its got a nice, safe breech area which for an underlever is important.

Being someone who makes tuning kits & enjoys tuning springers, looking at the exploded view it looks like they have included a top hat & spring guide as standard which is nice to see (not even the mighty Winerack do that).

Nigel has covered the basics, however if you get the urge to strip it down polish the spring ends & check how tight the spring guide & top hat are inside the spring. If it twangs a bit when firing they are probably a tad loose.

If in the future you want better fitting parts I may be able to help, but until then look after it & above all else enjoy it.

One of my fave guns is my tuned GAMO 440 Hunter, so you won't see me looking down on a fellow Airgunner (on the contrary, we need to stick together).

Cheers,

Matt W

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24972
      Originally posted by Havoc" post=44034
      Im about to get my first air rifle in a long, long time and it will most likely be the most powerful air rifle I've ever owned, it's only a norica dream hunter which I know by the posts here may well be looked down upon by owners of high end air weapons...lol!
      I'm well aware not to pour oil into the piston chamber for fear of dieseling but surely there must be something I should be doing to keep this running at its best?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by mattw975" post=44057
        however if you get the urge to strip it down polish the spring ends & check how tight the spring guide & top hat are inside the spring. If it twangs a bit when firing they are probably a tad loose.
        Baby steps Matt - he's hardly got it and you've pulled it apart already

Havoc,
        Put a tin of pellets through it to bed it in nicely.
        Post a pic of your best group at 25 metres when you've run a few through it.
        if the group looks like a shotgun pattern, we'll let Matt jump in.
        If they're all in one hole, then don't touch it.

m about to get my first air rifle in a long, long time and it will most likely be the most powerful air rifle I've ever owned, it's only a norica dream hunter which I know by the posts here may well be looked down upon by owners of high end air weapons...lol!

No one will look down on you. We all start somewhere on our journey with air rifles. Today you may have a springer, tomorrow a PCP and finally a CO2 rifle.

I read a great tip about keeping an lightly oiled rag in a zip top bag for wiping over the rifle. As Nigel says, pay attention to your bearing surfaces with a little grease. It will take a tin or two of pellets to settle, but its a good time to get an idea on how to hold the rifle, load the rifle safely.

I think enough people have given you tips....and do not forget to have a chinwag with Matt when you are ready. He will help you squeeze out every fpe as efficiently and comfortably as possible.

From my experience never be afraid to ask a question here.

Paul

Comment

Thanks guys, I am well versed in keeping other firearms well maintained, I've been a shooter for more than 40 years.
        Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything with the new air rifle.
        I'm a fitter and machinist by trade and specialize in electro pneumatics so mechanical repairs aren't really a problem.
        I've also been heavily involved in tournament paintball for the last 20 years and am often asked to repair/modify/tune privately owned electro pneumatic paintball guns.
        If you live in Vic and ever feel like a "high end" paintball game for not much expense...hit me up! :P

Comment

• mattw975
          mattw975 commented
          Editing a comment
          I reckon the Norica will be stripped after a tin of 500 based upon your reply

Originally posted by Havoc" post=44101
          Thanks guys, I am well versed in keeping other firearms well maintained, I've been a shooter for more than 40 years.
          Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything with the new air rifle.
          I'm a fitter and machinist by trade and specialize in electro pneumatics so mechanical repairs aren't really a problem.
          I've also been heavily involved in tournament paintball for the last 20 years and am often asked to repair/modify/tune privately owned electro pneumatic paintball guns.
          If you live in Vic and ever feel like a "high end" paintball game for not much expense...hit me up! :P

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Havoc" post=44101
          Hi....

Now thats an interesting offer!!

BTW have you any unwanted 4 oz CO2 paint ball bottles that you may want to sell?

Paul

Hi...

One of the really nice things on this site is that Matt's encouraged his daughters to be creative. They have produced a nice little cleaning kit for a very reasonable price. It is simple and effective.

Its a simple pull through supplied with a few pieces of cloth. Well worth the money and definatly well worth encouraging his girls.

Paul

Comment

Yes they`ll be fine - Even better get an A&G Pull-Through Kit from V-MATT tuning in NSW - They sell a complete kit `Made in Australia` for only 10 bucks!! -
          "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• mattw975
            mattw975 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Druid,

They give my twins some pocket money, Ronald McDonald House a donation & your gun a clean barrel

Originally posted by Druid 66" post=44931
            Yes they`ll be fine - Even better get an A&G Pull-Through Kit from V-MATT tuning in NSW - They sell a complete kit `Made in Australia` for only 10 bucks!! -

Havoc - Try some Crosman Premiers in it too - I have a feeling in my water that they`d go well in that barrel

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought you guys might like to see some pretty air guns of a different sort.
            This is my wgp karnivor 68 cal paintball gun...not your average paintslinger!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	10837408_WGP_STO_Karnivor_Paintball_Gun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	59608

Here I am thinking this thread was about under lever springers

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, got a bit off track, ok, tomorrow Im going to Clayton firearms to pick up my sons new savage BRJ 22lr (nice rifle for a 12 year old!) and I will buy some more RWS superdomes while Im there..they are 15 bucks a tin, best I can do elsewhere is 13 dollars...so 2 bucks, meh, I don't wanna bother the back yard guys to save 2 bucks!
            Looking at the high powered springers they had there the other day makes me see I got a good buy with the Norica http://www.gunemporium.com.au/Norica-Dream-Hunter-PAckage.html
            Im going to gun emporium later in the week, one of my mates liked the norica so much, hes ordered one too.

Wish me luck, hitting a mates place on Thursday night for some bunnies....

Hope the little buggers co-operate!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, it didn't go too well, hit two, neither dropped...I think I need more off hand shooting practice.
            One of them was hit hard, poor little bugger would have carked it in his burrow, not what I would prefer.
            I will just have to get closer or practice more with off hand shooting, funny, I often off hand shoot rabbits with my 22 magnum out to 100 meters, I know if I tag them they usually drop on the spot, 22 mag does a fair bit of damage.
            Will practice more on targets before venturing out after the bunnies with the air rifle again I think.

Always good to hear from a man whom respects his quarry and obviously recognises the limitations of both himself and his equipment - Pity this time you had to find out at a rabbits expense but I`d guess that`s something that`s happened to most blokes here I`m sure

I`d wager one of the hardest thing for most hunters is to comply with the self-discipline required to get within range and then wait for a humane shot to present itself - I`d also say if you`re sticking mainly to rabbits I`d seriously consider a bigger calibre too - IMHO a .177 spring rifle is perfect for targets and okay for feathers but fur really does require a bigger punch downrange.

I reckon that if most shooters were really honest about it `including myself` they would never be that confident of pulling off a perfect head-shot on a rabbit Off-Hand at less than 30 paces in normal hunting conditions anyway - In closing the best advice I ever took on board in our sport was to always practice your Maximum-Hunting-Distance regularly and be truthful with yourself at which field-positions you can reliably pull these off from - Ideally with Airguns this criteria would be scoring 5-Shot groups consecutively into a 30mm circle

Comment

• grmkc
            grmkc commented
            Editing a comment
            A few nice HWs on Ozguns and Used guns atm.

I'll organise to catch up and you can have a shot of my HW97 in 0.22 or 0.177. Which ever or both.

The best way to improve your offhand shooting IMO is Metallic Silhouette, if you are SSAA members go to a few silhouette shoots and your performance in the field will definitely improve. Personally I have been shooting silhouette for too many years to count and when I get the chance to get onto some rabbits their heads seem like a very big target, have had no trouble head shooting them out to 100 yards with a rimfire and would back myself out to 50 yards with an air rifle unfortunately there are not too many rabbits out this way and when I have mentioned to any property owners that I will be using an air rifle, they just laugh and I don't get permission, maybe I should try telling them I want to use the biggest powder burner I can legally own :P
          Sorry if this has gone off topic but it looks like the whole thread has

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, it continues to improve
            The Norica performs well at 20 meters with RWS domepoints.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3shotsfromairrifle.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	67036
            3 shots off hand at 20 meters
        Working...
        X