Hunter Field Target

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hunter Field Target

    Looks like a lotta lotta fun

    http://youtu.be/BJnrm1jAW0k

  • #2
    What's the difference between hunter FT and normal FT

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mattw975" post=40863
      Looks like a lotta lotta fun

      http://youtu.be/BJnrm1jAW0k
      That makes way more sense than normal FT. Atleast it's based in reality, and allows ALL air gunners to compete on an even playing field.

      I'd be right on that if we had it here.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree HFT is a much better idea that FT

        BTW Nice to see the Kiwis hav`nt lost-the-plot when it comes to their firearm laws
        "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

        Comment


        • #5
          How could we get this going over here?

          Comment


          • #6
            Eat more cheese sandwiches!? :P
            "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

            Comment


            • grmkc
              grmkc commented
              Editing a comment
              Kiwis hav`nt lost-the-plot when it comes to their firearm laws
              I thought they recently changed the law on PCPs because there was a death.

              How could we get this going over here?
              Need someone in Vic with some acreage and a few willing organisers.

          • #7
            So we have to make Strikey's targets out of 6mm Bisaloy plate ? That way I could use my .25 cal Marauder

            Comment


            • #8
              It`s not only the more-rational-approach to firearms that support the sheer-weight-of-numbers in the countries mentioned though - To be fair we also get hit with the double-whammy of our geographic circumstance

              For example the UK and NZ are both are relatively small countries which means that their competitors can easily drive to any given location `and back again` in the same day or weekend - Not making excuses - Just pointing out the facts.

              More info here - http://www.6mmbr.com/fieldtargetposition.html - IMHO HFT is definitely the-way-to-go - Far more realistic and gives everyone a-fair-go

              BTW I thought it was the-other-way-round 3D-AAA Archery was a Rip-Off of HFT which has been around since the 1980s
              "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

              Comment


              • Guest's Avatar
                Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Druid 66" post=41434
                It`s not only the more-rational-approach to firearms that support the sheer-weight-of-numbers in the countries mentioned though - To be fair we also get hit with the double-whammy of our geographic circumstance

                For example the UK and NZ are both are relatively small countries which means that their competitors can easily drive to any given location `and back again` in the same day or weekend - Not making excuses - Just pointing out the facts.

                More info here - http://www.6mmbr.com/fieldtargetposition.html - IMHO HFT is definitely the-way-to-go - Far more realistic and gives everyone a-fair-go

                BTW I thought it was the-other-way-round - AAA Archery was a Rip-Off of HFT which has been around since the 1980s
                Some great Info on that page Druid, Thanks for that, It's been bookmarked!

                Also, what you said about the Travelling in Aus compared to the UK is spot on.

                @Strikey For arguments sake, say I did take advantage of the QLD FT. It would take me atleast 2 days to drive there (breaking all speed limits), then a day or so competing, then another 2 days to drive back (again breaking all speed limits), so that 5 - 6 days away from work - you reckon that's a viable choice for someone to be making? Maybe once or twice a year IF I'm lucky, but logically speaking - it's not viable. The country is a lot bigger than the state of Queensland mate.

                IMO This comment (Specifically what's bolded and underlined) "I personally think a lot of people on here missed a golden opportunity to attend the inaugural FT Nationals held recently, then everyone would have a better understanding how it is being run in our country instead of sitting in front of a computer wondering about it all and having a whinge that we don't have FT" is a bit rough. No one's "whinging" about anything. Personally - I've only recently purchased my first gun in Australia, so my knowledge about what's available is limited, however upon researching, I found it's not available in my state. How commenting about this is classified as "Whinging" is beyond me, especially for those of us that can't just trek halfway across the country at the drop of a hat.

                But it's all irrelevant anyway, as this topic is about HFT - not normal FT.

              • nate
                nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Druid 66" post=41434
                BTW I thought it was the-other-way-round - AAA Archery was a Rip-Off of HFT which has been around since the 1980s
                Its never been heard of before... but I could be wrong... :P

            • #9
              The kids indeed - We had our Xmas shoot the other day and it was all too obvious how the youngsters there were not as intimidated by having a go on the air-rifles as they were about firing the other guns.

              IMHO the only realistic way that shooting will ever make it as a truly popular sport again in this country is by de-classifying low-powered air rifles and then legalising backyard plinking as a lawful activity.

              The FT and HFT circuits would thrive then as Air-Rifle ownership would automatically leap into the millions
              "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

              Comment


              • mattw975
                mattw975 commented
                Editing a comment
                Druid for PM

                Originally posted by Druid 66" post=41592
                The kids indeed - We had our Xmas shoot the other day and it was all too obvious how the youngsters there were not as intimidated by having a go on the air-rifles as they were about firing the other guns.

                IMHO the only realistic way that shooting will ever make it as a truly popular sport again in this country is by de-classifying low-powered air rifles and then legalising backyard plinking as a lawful activity.

                The FT and HFT circuits would thrive then as Air-Rifle ownership would automatically leap into the millions

              • Guest's Avatar
                Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Druid 66" post=41592
                The kids indeed - We had our Xmas shoot the other day and it was all too obvious how the youngsters there were not as intimidated by having a go on the air-rifles as they were about firing the other guns.

                IMHO the only realistic way that shooting will ever make it as a truly popular sport again in this country is by de-classifying low-powered air rifles and then legalising backyard plinking as a lawful activity.

                The FT and HFT circuits would thrive then as Air-Rifle ownership would automatically leap into the millions
                Might even make a dent in the pest population then too!

            • #10
              Hi all, I've been keeping to myself for a bit since the nationals and am just reading through a few things and feel there are a couple of important things that need to be mentioned so I'll be straight up. Please do not take the following as personal attacks on any one member nor take offence at any of the following I consider all you blokes to be friends and I want it to stay that way but there are a few things that are getting thrown around here continually that are simply not worth beating yourselves up over .

              The following is in no way legal advice nor is it specific to any state, association or individual, you must check your local rules and regulations for yourself. The rules regarding this stuff definitely are not consistent across borders and that is what makes getting things going nationally a bit of a mine field.

              1.HFT is not a recognised discipline in Australia by any association at present and there are no "Australian rules" pertaining to it that are recognised by any of the various weapons registries, as such it can't be legally shot in this country at the moment. Watch this space because I am working on that at the moment, the wheels turn slowly but they do turn . Yeah yeah I know it's just a variation on the FT rules but they are none the less different and in the eyes of the law that is what counts.

              Ok what does that mean to us ..."As HFT is not recognised nationally as a discipline there is no insurance coverage and as the various weapons registries don't currently recognise it there are therefore no ranges approved to shoot it.

              Here is the clincher so take note: If you are silly enough to try to shoot any event on a range that does not hold the appropriate approvals it is quite simply "illegal use /operation of a range" which is an offence in most states under the various weapons acts. No prizes for guessing what happens to shooters who get charged with offences under a weapons act! So be aware if not forewarned. Check with your state body and local club to see if they are approved before you start shooting any new discipline. If you don't and things go awry it gets pretty horrible for all and sundry pretty darned quickly. Getting the appropriate approval is generally pretty simple but you will need to talk to your local club management about it.

              2. I hear time and again the statement made that "HFT stops the equipment race".

              Utter rubbish, the primary difference between HFT and FT equipment wise is the scope. Most of the top HFT shooters use their FT guns and simply swap their scopes over usually the 10-50x60 comes off and on goes a high quality 4-12x40. Generally the scope value is about the same, quality glass gives a better depth of field which is what is required in HFT and quality costs. I been shooting competitively for a very long time and the simple fact is that as your ability improves you lust after better gear and people will always push the rules to the nth degree, it is firmly entrenched in our DNA as human beings. There are also some other slight variances but I would hardly call a $40.00 glove and $100.00 mat (if you use them) big expenses not these days at least when you consider what it costs to go and play a season of football with the local under 9s.

              3. "It would be nice if we could set up on farmer Joes back paddock and go shooting competition like they do in the UK".

              I agree it would be bloody wonderful and if you can pull it off great! My advice to you is simple reread no 1 above and then think about how you are going to obtain the insurance..........in case you're wondering ,aside from having to take out extra insurance to cover your new range the farmer has to insure for you whilst you are on his land (unless you have some sort of lease agreement) and you will need a pretty golden tongue to get him to part with the dollars in order to make that happen. Again I'm no expert in these areas and you would need to get specific legal and insurance advice, your state association may be able to help.

              Lastly I just want to comment on the whole demographic issue. Australia is the little place at the bottom of the map as far as the rest of the world is concerned but it is a bloody big place and we have enormous distances to consider, it takes less time to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne through 2 states than it does to drive from Brisbane to Cairns in the same state, WA and Tassie is a whole nuther shooting match. The decision we make as to where a nationals is held is not made lightly. Sure this year was the inaugural and as Qld is the only state shooting FT then it made sense for the nationals to go there, that is pretty much a no brainer. From there it will rotate around the states ,unless a state knocks it back, in accordance with SSAA National policy.

              I more than anyone understand how hard it can be to have to work for a living and at the same time wanting to go to all these wonderful competitions across the country. Hell I am the current RMS National Hunting Rifle 2 gun champion but with the rms nationals being at Easter next year in Perth it is simply impossible for me to get time off to travel over there and attempt to defend said title. Such is life . Build a bridge and get over it.

              Next year the nationals will be held in Canberra (yep you heard it here first) so it will give a lot of you southern guys a better demographic chance to come along and have a shot at the title. Just to clarify one point that a few peeps have been muttering........yes i am a Queenslander but when I am talking FT , I am Australian, and worrying about what the rest of the world can do and how they may or may not have it better than we do simply serves no constructive purpose whatsoever. You will find yourselves a whole lot better off if you concentrate your energies on what we can do as opposed to what we can't do. It's a whole lot more satisfying .

              Just my 2 cents worth men...........now where did I put my flame suit :lol:

              Comment


              • mattw975
                mattw975 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Chris,

                Very well explained mate

                Do you have any dates set for the ACT Nationals next year, if its October again you Northern lads need to pack your thermals.

                Gives us Pommie Bar Stewards an unfair advantage as we won't be shivering in our singlets & shorts

                Originally posted by Uncakikki" post=42621
                Hi all, I've been keeping to myself for a bit since the nationals and am just reading through a few things and feel there are a couple of important things that need to be mentioned so I'll be straight up. Please do not take the following as personal attacks on any one member nor take offence at any of the following I consider all you blokes to be friends and I want it to stay that way but there are a few things that are getting thrown around here continually that are simply not worth beating yourselves up over .

                The following is in no way legal advice nor is it specific to any state, association or individual, you must check your local rules and regulations for yourself. The rules regarding this stuff definitely are not consistent across borders and that is what makes getting things going nationally a bit of a mine field.

                1.HFT is not a recognised discipline in Australia by any association at present and there are no "Australian rules" pertaining to it that are recognised by any of the various weapons registries, as such it can't be legally shot in this country at the moment. Watch this space because I am working on that at the moment, the wheels turn slowly but they do turn . Yeah yeah I know it's just a variation on the FT rules but they are none the less different and in the eyes of the law that is what counts.

                Ok what does that mean to us ..."As HFT is not recognised nationally as a discipline there is no insurance coverage and as the various weapons registries don't currently recognise it there are therefore no ranges approved to shoot it.

                Here is the clincher so take note: If you are silly enough to try to shoot any event on a range that does not hold the appropriate approvals it is quite simply "illegal use /operation of a range" which is an offence in most states under the various weapons acts. No prizes for guessing what happens to shooters who get charged with offences under a weapons act! So be aware if not forewarned. Check with your state body and local club to see if they are approved before you start shooting any new discipline. If you don't and things go awry it gets pretty horrible for all and sundry pretty darned quickly. Getting the appropriate approval is generally pretty simple but you will need to talk to your local club management about it.

                2. I hear time and again the statement made that "HFT stops the equipment race".

                Utter rubbish, the primary difference between HFT and FT equipment wise is the scope. Most of the top HFT shooters use their FT guns and simply swap their scopes over usually the 10-50x60 comes off and on goes a high quality 4-12x40. Generally the scope value is about the same, quality glass gives a better depth of field which is what is required in HFT and quality costs. I been shooting competitively for a very long time and the simple fact is that as your ability improves you lust after better gear and people will always push the rules to the nth degree, it is firmly entrenched in our DNA as human beings. There are also some other slight variances but I would hardly call a $40.00 glove and $100.00 mat (if you use them) big expenses not these days at least when you consider what it costs to go and play a season of football with the local under 9s.

                3. "It would be nice if we could set up on farmer Joes back paddock and go shooting competition like they do in the UK".

                I agree it would be bloody wonderful and if you can pull it off great! My advice to you is simple reread no 1 above and then think about how you are going to obtain the insurance..........in case you're wondering ,aside from having to take out extra insurance to cover your new range the farmer has to insure for you whilst you are on his land (unless you have some sort of lease agreement) and you will need a pretty golden tongue to get him to part with the dollars in order to make that happen. Again I'm no expert in these areas and you would need to get specific legal and insurance advice, your state association may be able to help.

                Lastly I just want to comment on the whole demographic issue. Australia is the little place at the bottom of the map as far as the rest of the world is concerned but it is a bloody big place and we have enormous distances to consider, it takes less time to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne through 2 states than it does to drive from Brisbane to Cairns in the same state, WA and Tassie is a whole nuther shooting match. The decision we make as to where a nationals is held is not made lightly. Sure this year was the inaugural and as Qld is the only state shooting FT then it made sense for the nationals to go there, that is pretty much a no brainer. From there it will rotate around the states ,unless a state knocks it back, in accordance with SSAA National policy.

                I more than anyone understand how hard it can be to have to work for a living and at the same time wanting to go to all these wonderful competitions across the country. Hell I am the current RMS National Hunting Rifle 2 gun champion but with the rms nationals being at Easter next year in Perth it is simply impossible for me to get time off to travel over there and attempt to defend said title. Such is life . Build a bridge and get over it.

                Next year the nationals will be held in Canberra (yep you heard it here first) so it will give a lot of you southern guys a better demographic chance to come along and have a shot at the title. Just to clarify one point that a few peeps have been muttering........yes i am a Queenslander but when I am talking FT , I am Australian, and worrying about what the rest of the world can do and how they may or may not have it better than we do simply serves no constructive purpose whatsoever. You will find yourselves a whole lot better off if you concentrate your energies on what we can do as opposed to what we can't do. It's a whole lot more satisfying .

                Just my 2 cents worth men...........now where did I put my flame suit :lol:

            • #11
              Hi...

              No need for a flame suit.

              Every one is welcome to have an opinion here and it seems little of the venom of the other site made it here.

              The good thing about a forum is a good and sensible well structured argument is a good base for discussion. You have put in a lot of thought, and effort, into your discussion. Well done.

              Paul

              Comment


              • #12
                Canberra ? Bugger, another 2 day drive each way 4000km round trip, fortunately I know the road :lol: :lol: Suppose I will have to forget about shooting any good there if I catch up with Dave and co.

                Comment


                • oldfarmer
                  oldfarmer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very well put Chris. It is easy to over look the legal side of things. As a shoot captain and Range Officer we are constantly reminded just how easy it is to have a range shut down.
                  I agree with Strikey about Canberra. Mate it would take me about 4 days to drive down from up here and I would be so darn tired I'd just want to sleep.Can't do the long hauls like I could 30 to 40 years ago.
                  Be a fun shoot with Dave and co.
                  Jim

              • #13
                Stop your whinging strikey. :P

                (If you didn't realize, I was making light of the fact you called some of us whingers).

                Comment


                • Guest's Avatar
                  Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by SuburbanMe" post=42703
                  Stop your whinging strikey. :P

                  (If you didn't realize, I was making light of the fact you called some of us whingers).
                  I have done the trip down to Canberra from up here in Central QLD a few times in the last couple of years so doesn't faze me that much, just have to plan for it, if you can make it to Canberra I will guarantee a good time will be had by all, the only " whingeing" you will hear from me is when I am trying to shoot with a mongrel hangover

              • #14
                Sorry guys I forgot to add that at this point in time it will be the long weekend in October for next year unless something unforseen happens.

                Thanks for your comments guys, I know how easy it is to feel like you have been forgotten about when we are dealing with this sort of stuff.

                Just a little food for thought as it is easy to fall into the trap of "I don't feel loved by my club or association" and those feelings are toxic to every thing we do and unfortunately unavoidable in just about every assciation or club. Just remember that all clubs/associations not matter how big they are are groups of people, mostly volunteers, not some all powerful mystical being that magically creates things for us when we want them. It all takes time and effort and these day everyone is time poor, but many hand make light work!

                Comment


                • #15
                  Ok not sure if it's just me but Damn I like the looks,of those targets in the video. Now to work out where to buy them or how to make them.


                  Mykii

                  Comment


                  • Guest's Avatar
                    Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by mykii_shooter" post=42777
                    Now to work out where to buy them or how to make them.
                    Mykii
                    If you ask Chris real nice he may be gracious enough to redo his excellent thread on knock down targets.
                    Pretty please
                Working...
                X