Pellet Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet Testing

Well, Ive now got my Umarex 850 Air Magnum (second hand) and with thanks to a pellet sample pack, I have some photos.

First, some observations about my new rifle - my first gas powered air rifle.
    Its fancy - a real piece of engeneering mastery (compared to the old springer...).
    The scope - a 6x AO Walther is very clear. It has a minor issue with light coming in from behind the eye, in the evenings, and casuing a reflection on the eye piece (which I noticed significantly in the cheap Center Point scope on my other air rifle buy non existant on my Leupolds).
    The posts on the reticle are very thick!
    I had no real idea how to use the AO (my Leupolds are not AO).
    On occasion, it is hard to load the pellet into the breech, and on even less occasions, its hard ot extract the bolt.
    JSB pellets have thin skirts that are easily knocked out of shape.

Here is where I need your help. The photos below show my test targets in an underground range (no wind) at 13m. The first 3 are on day 1 when I just got it out of the box and without adjusting the parallax properly and shooting off the bipod which had some flex... The second 3 are on day 2 off the 'bench' with the parallax adjusted alot better. Rifle had a couple of patches pushed through it and I gave it a light scrub with a bronze brush, no solvent then re patched before day 1. Both days had a fresh CO2 cylinder installed, Day 2 was not cleaned before hand (but after cleaning it when I got home, after around 200 pellets, I noted that it wasnt overly dirty.) At that point I then put a very small amount of Slip 2000 on the bolt and any other moving bits I could find.

When offering advice and recomendations, please limit yourself to 1 'you need to shoot better' type comment

Cheers in advance.
    Andrew

Click image for larger version

Name:	Target1Day1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	49142

Comment

Name:	Target3Day1.jpg
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	49144

Comment

Name:	Target2Day1.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	49146

Comment

Sorry, the 3rd pic goes before the second pic...

Comment

Name:	Target1day2.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	49150

Comment

Name:	Target2day2.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	49152

Comment

Name:	Target3day2.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	49154

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It will get better with more practice. Trigger adjustment might help, less travel maybe.

Try to limit yourself to one brand of pellet, and one type for consistency re the lead composition etc.

The skirt is very important bit, maybe a heavier JSB will have a thicker skirt, or maybe H&N. Keep damage skirted ones aside.

Buy another Leupold for the 850. Its a pest having different brands scopes on different rifles, they behave differently as you can already see.

• grmkc
                  grmkc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I could be wrong but it appears that the Superdomes might be the pellet of choice. Except for the one flyer in #20, they looked like they grouped well compared to the rest. Definitely bypass the heaviest two (Barra 21 and JSB 18.1). Except for the two shots in #12, the SuperPoints come a close second.

Bring on the indian mynahs. The proof is in the pics.

It would be my guess that the superdomes take out the pellet of choice award as the one to buy alot of. The rifle took out its first rabbit last night at about 30m or so. So it has proved to me that it is capable of doing what I purchased it to do!

Just waiting for Paul to comment

Any observations and recommendations would be appreciated.

Also - interesting to note was the Heavy JSB's making a single hole!!! That was what I was expecting from at least one pellet - but so far, I havent been able to get it consistent...

Comment

• grmkc
                  grmkc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think taking a quarry at 30m pretty much says it all. BUT do you have Pics as proof.

I did notice the one group of JSB (18.1) with the ragged hole. But overall, the other three groups looked like a 410 shotty. The Domes on the other hand, were very consistent.

Your fixed parallax scope may also be adjustable. It would make shooting closer distances more pleasant. Refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T97GCZqbZio One of my 3 - 9 x 40 was so tight that I just let it be and opted to sell instead. Probably adjust to approx 30 m depending on pellet trajectory. My HW95 and 97 in 0.177 are zeroed at 38m, the HW97 0.22 at 36m and Blizzard at 40m for the pellet of choice for the respective rifle.

Keep it up. You're doing great.

Hello...

Thanks for the compliment Matt. Very nice of you Coming from someone I admire and respect its great. However it is nothing I have not gleaned from emails and bulletin boards...and that includes stuff written by you eons ago...well not really eons!!

The targets that Andrew has posted reflect all the knowledge that he has also picked up on the net as well....also by talking to others..

Its pretty obvious that the rifle likes RWS superdomes and the best thing is that as Andrew gets used to the rifle he will only shoot better. He already has one bunny for the pot and many more to follow.

Well done Andrew.

Paul

Comment

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice.
                  If anyone has any other pellets they recommend, I would like to try them before I bust out and by 10 trillion superdomes...
                  Please feel free to impart advice that is air rifle specific, that I might not have thought about whilst using my 22 or 223.
                  I am already stoked that this rifle groups a lot better than the 22 shooting Long Z's - which was the whole reason for getting it!

Comment

• grmkc
                    grmkc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's where the problem is. Long Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's. They fall asleep after about 25m. :P

Out of curiosity Paul, what sort of speed would pellets be coming out of Andrew's rifle?

Alright brains trust...
                  Does anyone here have a healthy supply of RWS superdomes they would like to get rid of?
                  Happy to pay the going rate, but I don't want to get fleeced for postage like the last mob I enquired with.
                  Alternatively, anyone know any gun stores within an hour of Newcastle or at least in NSW that would post to Newcastle?

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

• mattw975
                    mattw975 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I stocked up in Melbourne last time I was down.

Maybe ask a friendly Victorian member to post some for you, as they seem to have a good supply down South.

Originally posted by wipikafish" post=37274
                    Alright brains trust...
                    Does anyone here have a healthy supply of RWS superdomes they would like to get rid of?
                    Happy to pay the going rate, but I don't want to get fleeced for postage like the last mob I enquired with.
                    Alternatively, anyone know any gun stores within an hour of Newcastle or at least in NSW that would post to Newcastle?

Cheers,
                    Andrew

Hi...

Yet if I send them in the post from SA I break all sorts of State laws.

In SA air pellets are treated exactly the same as live rounds. I have box's of projectiles on show...legally...but if I leave an air pellet on my desk, bench I am gone.

Stoopid SA.

Paul

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Both potters and acme post pellets outs, if you get ten time they discount quite well. With postage like it is, its gets comparatively cheaper the more you get. Ten tins from acme gets you a discount. I noticed a difference between domed pellets and round headed pellets, it may be domed ones you gun likes, rather than the brand name, I think JSB exacts are domed.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by paul" post=37325
                    Hi...

Yet if I send them in the post from SA I break all sorts of State laws.

In SA air pellets are treated exactly the same as live rounds. I have box's of projectiles on show...legally...but if I leave an air pellet on my desk, bench I am gone.

Stoopid SA.

Paul
                    It's funny you mention this Paul,

A couple of weeks back I went and picked up a camper Trailer from Maryborough (VIC). I got it from one of those 'We've got pretty much everything stores" that deal in camping and outdoors products. Anyway, they aren't licensed to sell guns, but they did sell AR ammo. They had RWS, Winchester etc... but What spun me out was during my Safety course, the firearms officer said that if you're not a licensed shooter, it's illegal for you to touch even AR ammo. So if this is the case, how the heck are they selling the ammo? Was pretty cheap too! about $12 for one of those plastic boxes of 500 pellets.

Hi...

WARNING RANT

Its cowboys like those that make life for honest people almost unbearable. We like to always blame the bad gus for our woes....the mass shooters...OMG's...the crooks, petty and major. But its not always, is it?

Paul

Comment

• grmkc
                    grmkc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Both potters and acme post pellets outs,
                    Only problem with that is neither of them sell RWS Superdomes. Klaus is sticking with H&N doesn't stock them anymore and Potter's is pretty much the JSB and Predator lines.

Another option might be to ring Graham Forbes and see who he supplies the RWS to around Newcastle. We could do it for you in VIC and get the bulk discount but the P&H would be at the same rates I suspect. http://www.forbesws.com.au/

And a special one for you Paul. :P

The Chill Pill.

For Mr 'Proof is in the pudding'...

Name:	rabbits.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	49873
                  These two were shot this afternoon at about 20m (after about 100 shots on this cylinder) with the RWS Super Points (as I'd run out of domes).
                  The one on the bottom stood up and looked in my direction and I wanted to test penetration through the chest. Pellet entered in through its right front chest, turned about 75 degrees south and exited just above the left kidney next to the spine.
                  The one with grass still in its mouth took one to the head - straight through.

I am falling more and more in love with this rifle. it seems to be doing everything I've wanted it to do. Next goal is to do some distance testing to work out hold over... If only I had a mil dot scope...

Managed to get 2 packs of Superdomes sent from one GS to my local one - will pick them up this week! Yay!!!

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep Mildot is a must have for ARs if shooting at differing ranges.
                    AO or side focus are important as well
                    Good to hear its shooting well for you

• grmkc
                    grmkc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Andrew. U da Man!

Looks like the rifle is shooting well, as are you. Great that you secured a local supply for the RWS's.

Cheers, Mr Proof's in the pudding.
                Working...
                X