Evanix Blizzard S10 - Depinger Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evanix Blizzard S10 - Depinger Installation

As most of you know I recently acquired a pre-loved Evanix Blizzard S10. Picture below of gun as received.

One of the first things I did was to strip the rifle to make sure all the parts were in working order and to give everything a real clean, and repaired where required. That is all done. The Hammer Spring was replaced by the C730 hardware store special and the trigger stripped and polished. I had intended to post a thread on tweaking the Blizz but Nate and Oleg have covered those topics admirably. And thank you guys as I found that thread extremely useful. Shoots like a dream.

As I proceeded to shoot the Blizz, I noticed a slight but unremarkable noise/resonance coming from the air reservoir. As time went on and as I played with the rifle more it became more apparent but it was still tolerable. But the more I discussed the sound with Matt and others, the noise was now always in my head as I squeezed the trigger. Not sure how this pre-installation noise grab will come up but I reckon the Blizzard ping is more apparent than in other rifles.

Discussions ensured between Matt and I on an easily installed and removed depinger. The final product was turned out of delrin and had a couple of O-rings near either end. We also added a brass pin so that we had a way of pulling the unit out if required. See the two pics below.

# Depinger Side view with the brass pin visible on the left side. A later pic will better demonstrate where the pin is located.

# Depinger bottom view

Now to proceed with the installation process.

Firstly the action is removed from the stock via a hex screw on the underside next to the air gauge. As this is a high pressure device, the air reservoir is total depressurised prior to commencing. This is done by slowly unscrewing the air gauge to allow the air to trickle out. As the pressure drops to near zero, the gauge may be completely taken off, cleaned and replaced. The reservoir is now void of pressure. In the newer models and as Oleg has indicated, there is a Safety/Burst disk that can be used to depressurise.

The brace which hold the shroud and reservoir is then removed by unscrewing three (3) grub screws.

The reservoir end cap is unscrewed and the fill inlet protector removed.

The end cap for the shroud is unscrewed and the bracing arm is gently slid off the reservoir and the shroud.

Whilst everything was is a dismantle state, I also took the opportunity to remove the shroud to clean and oil the barrel. Good thing I did. It was covered in a fine grey layer of what appeared to be lead dust. So it was a quick wipe down and a oily cloth wipe and the shroud replaced.

The reservoir was removed from the action.

The fill valve was removed from the opposite end just because I may need access from both ends. This didn't eventuate. Also gave me a chance to check for rust and oxidation. All clear on that front. The valve O-ring was then lightly greased with silicone grease and refitted to finger pressure only.

Finally the O-rings on the depinger was also lubricated with silicon and the unit was gently pushed into the reservoir, brass pin side up. Oh, Oh, too tight. Matt and I must have been able to measure our respective components with great correlation but not allowed for the O-rings. The fit was so snug that it was installed without the O-rings. Notes for modification to the design has already been flowing back and forth.

The O-ring for the reservoir located on the action was lightly greased and the reservoir replaced and screwed to finger tightness. Reassembly of the rifle is done in reverse order.

It should be noted that when an O-ring seal is required for high pressure air, it only needs to be a finger tight seal. For example the diving regulators to a SCUBA tank, or the fill adaptor, diving torches, etc. Oh, DO NOT use grease on a SCUBA tank valve O-ring if you intend to go diving with it.

I suppose the all important proof of the pudding. So, the reservoir was refilled SLOWLY to avoid overheating, pellets loaded and the target holder was punished. Post installation sound file attached.

I hope this has been helpful.

Geoff

PS Thanks Druid.
    Attached Files
    Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Email me the file Geoff - I'll ask admin.

Comment

• grmkc
      grmkc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Will do.

Thanks Nigel. Much better.
    Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Comment

Working...
    X