Beeman R9 in .20 with Maccari tune: Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beeman R9 in .20 with Maccari tune: Thoughts?

I'm considering the above rifle but have some trepidation regarding the calibre (availability mostly) and the medium power rating over say a HW80. Would use for FT, silhouette and small game such as mynas and rabbits out to say 40m. How's the suitability for this purpose, anyone had experience with the R9/95?
    Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

Personally I'd love it Steve but the choice is yours. Generally people are scared of .20 and always get worried about the lack of pellet choice. The fact that .20 cal pellets are not usually found at the local gun shop and that the choice is a bit limited is nothing to get worried about as in reality there are only a couple that you will ever need. I only use JSB's or H&N in my own .20 and have never run short nor have I needed to buy anything else.

I only know of 1 R9 in SE Qld in .20 with a Macarri kit.......is that Rays' gun? If it is you won't be disappointed!

Comment

I think a 95 is a bit easier to control than an 80.
      A 80 on full power does jump around a bit and takes a while to master. I've been trying for 20 years and still haven't got there : )
      A 95 with a Macarri kit would be running quite sweet and putting out a good useable amount of power.
      If you wanted to use an 80 for FT, I'd suggest that it would need to be tuned down a bit to make it shoot sweet.

Comment

• grmkc
        grmkc commented
        Editing a comment
        My 95, eventhough it's just a 0.177, has been tuned with an Airgun Wizard kit (V-Matt) and behaves really well. It has a bit of a recoil but is very controlled and consistent. I would suggest that a tamed 0.20 would be great for FT. Anything without a buck-like recoil would probably do the job. Lighter than a 80 as well.

Sourcing one might be the issue. It could well be a Druid type wait. I was lucky in that I grabbed the last one A&P had eatlier in the year. There might be a couple with the last shipment but doubtful if they would be 0.20s.

Pellets for this caliber is more common than you think. LGSs stock them but seem to not make it known that they have them on the shelves. As Chris said, you wouldn't really need to conduct exhaustive pellet testing when the JSBs and H&Ns are available.

Easy One - GET IT!

It is only now to my great lament that over the last twenty odd years that I wasted so much time Umming and Erring about trying this fantastic `inbetween-calibre` out.

Now I finally bought one http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/air-rifles/1999-weihrauch-hw77k-special-edition-20cal?limitstart=0&start=20 I think this is actually THE BEST CALIBRE OF ALL for anything between 10 and 30 FPE

Availability? No Worries - Just buy a few tins of H&N Field Target Trophy and JSB Exacts from Acme Firearms or through A&P and I wager you are very unlikely to be disappointed - Infact you are going to be Bloody Stoked
      "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• grmkc
        grmkc commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you sure about that Druid?

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like a good thing for what I am after. Chris, I can't deny or confirm your suspicions at this point! You guys are right re pellets, it's not like I usually pop down to the LGS for a packet of Winchester pellets, it's normally Klaus or Potters, so all good really.

Looking forward to experiencing all the good stuff about the HW that you lot go on about, and at last not feeling like the awkward Spanish bloke sitting in the corner at the German club!
      Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

Comment

Working...
      X