Highest FPE for Mrod

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Highest FPE for Mrod

    Hey all,

    I was over at the Mrod forum and saw a thread about the highest FPE people have actually achieved with their mrods. A couple of guys were sayng they've achieved 40fpe+ and one even said 49fpe!
    Postby AlanMcD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:12 am
    The highest I ever got from my .22 when it was "stock" was 42 FPE - that was with the settings all maxed out and a 3200 psi fill shooting Baracudas (heavier pellets get more energy out of the air charge). The velocity fell off very fast after only a few shots when set that way, so those settings only about 2 or 3 usable shots.

    Now I have the Addicted to Airguns high flow valve, and it has hit 49 FPE (1025 fps with a Baracuda) and could probably do a little more more, as that was not even at max settings. I don't keep it there, as I prefer to run around 30 FPE for more shots at a consistent speed. But it is nice to know that I can open her up and get much more power if I want it.
    (And the link to the thread can be found here)

    So, this brings me to the main point of this post. Anyone know anything about these HFV's? How do they work? etc... 49fpe using heavy pellets in .22 would be real nice, especially if the gun can be tuned to get a decent amount of shots. Obviously 49 is a big ask and you'd probably think the amount of shots wouldn't be too high, but even around 40fpe would increase the shot count and still be a significant increase.

    Thoughts?


    EDIT: There's also a Survey Thread about fill pressures and shout counts etc... - might interest some of you (it's quite large)

  • #2
    The most I got out of mine in stock .22 form was 39 fpe with Eun Jin pellets.

    Haven't played around too much with mine, but I prefer less power more shots (26 fpe & around 50 shots). Interesting topic though, I may have a play at some stage



    Originally posted by SuburbanMe" post=28698
    Hey all,

    I was over at the Mrod forum and saw a thread about the highest FPE people have actually achieved with their mrods. A couple of guys were sayng they've achieved 40fpe+ and one even said 49fpe!
    Postby AlanMcD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:12 am
    The highest I ever got from my .22 when it was "stock" was 42 FPE - that was with the settings all maxed out and a 3200 psi fill shooting Baracudas (heavier pellets get more energy out of the air charge). The velocity fell off very fast after only a few shots when set that way, so those settings only about 2 or 3 usable shots.

    Now I have the Addicted to Airguns high flow valve, and it has hit 49 FPE (1025 fps with a Baracuda) and could probably do a little more more, as that was not even at max settings. I don't keep it there, as I prefer to run around 30 FPE for more shots at a consistent speed. But it is nice to know that I can open her up and get much more power if I want it.
    (And the link to the thread can be found here)

    So, this brings me to the main point of this post. Anyone know anything about these HFV's? How do they work? etc... 49fpe using heavy pellets in .22 would be real nice, especially if the gun can be tuned to get a decent amount of shots. Obviously 49 is a big ask and you'd probably think the amount of shots wouldn't be too high, but even around 40fpe would increase the shot count and still be a significant increase.

    Thoughts?


    EDIT: There's also a Survey Thread about fill pressures and shout counts etc... - might interest some of you (it's quite large)

    Comment


    • Guest's Avatar
      Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I did get mine shooting 40+ FPE with JSB Monsters once.
      Long time ago & the figures are vague now & shot count was pretty low.

      Pretty sure the tune I'm using now with the 23" LW barrel has it doing 36FPE with the cudda's but shot count is down to 2 mags.

      Best balance of tune I use is 18gr JSB's at 930fps with a 30 shot count in the LW barrel.
      Same tune settings as I was using with the 14gr CP's at 940fps in the stock barrel.

      Havn't used it for quite some time & these figures are just from memory.
      Mick.

  • #3
    I have some parts to get my mrod to around 90 fpe i have not installed them yet they have been sitting there for ages on the shelf.

    if you need power give dave a buzz at a2a. He stocks all crossman parts.
    His work is top notch and a great bloke to deal with and run you through a custom mrod setup.

    Comment


    • Guest's Avatar
      Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by adaml" post=28825
      I have some parts to get my mrod to around 90 fpe i have not installed them yet they have been sitting there for ages on the shelf.

      if you need power give dave a buzz at a2a. He stocks all crossman parts.
      His work is top notch and a great bloke to deal with and run you through a custom mrod setup.
      90FPE!?!?!? In .22 or .25?

      What are the parts? Rocket propelled Pellet?

  • #4
    Modded gauge block, enlarge the exhaust port, bore out th3 valve and yeh on a #15 spring no preload it will do 80fpe but with the spring from aus arms and loaded up it will do 90fpe which is amazing.

    and soon to have a depinger off matt cannot wait

    still waiting on my new mrod stock to come tactical style i went for no more timber!

    Comment


    • mattw975
      mattw975 commented
      Editing a comment
      That will be a tactical powerhouse when its finished

      Originally posted by adaml" post=29370
      Modded gauge block, enlarge the exhaust port, bore out th3 valve and yeh on a #15 spring no preload it will do 80fpe but with the spring from aus arms and loaded up it will do 90fpe which is amazing.

      and soon to have a depinger off matt cannot wait

      still waiting on my new mrod stock to come tactical style i went for no more timber!

  • #5
    Yeh it sure will be when i pull my finger out of my bum and get onto the install with everything it would be i guess the strongest mrod in aus. Also on a stock spring it will run around in the 40ish fpe which is not to bad i think.

    i think i will need a atlas bipod to go with the new stock when it comes.

    yeh it will be one heck of a gun i recon also.

    Comment


    • #6
      You should get on the Mrod forum I posted about and gloat. Those boys will be salivating over that. What do you expect the shot count to be?

      Comment


      • Guest's Avatar
        Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Easiest way of increasing performance of any PCP air rifle is to charge it with Argon or even better with Helium. Due to extremely high expansion speed of these gases your FPS will go through the roof and a Marauder with our standard settings will be cracking the sound barrier with Baracudas without any problem.

        The only issue is cost.

    • #7
      Haha that is the stupid part why im holding off also 3 to 6 shots

      Comment


      • #8
        Check out addicted2airguns its as easy as that to get power parts and stocks made up. If intreasted say adam sent you

        Comment


        • #9
          Years ago in science class, my teacher told me that the stinky part of farts was the argon, not the methane.

          So if you were to charge your Mrod with Argon, the whole shooting area would smell like you had a really BAD flatulence issue after every shot.

          Probably a good way of fast becoming the most unliked person at your range.

          Comment


          • #10


            Well I say NEVER fill any PCP with anything except clean and dry Mk1 AIR

            That is what the manufactures stipulate and we certainly don`t want any newbies filling the things up with any old gas they can find under pressure do we?!

            Always remember what we are playing with here gentlemen `WELL-BEHAVED PIPE-BOMBS`
            "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

            Comment


            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Druid 66" post=29684


              we certainly don`t want any newbies filling the things up with any old gas they can find under pressure do we?!

              Always remember what we are playing with here gentlemen `WELL-BEHAVED PIPE-BOMBS`
              Good point,

              Argon or Helium are inert gases, so these will behave pretty close to the Nitrogen that is the main component of our air.

              However industrial Oxygen, Acetylene or any other weird gas are a BIG NO NO!!!

              At the end of the day, if you are not sure DO NOT DO IT!!!

            • mattw975
              mattw975 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly, we shoot Air Guns, not Argon Guns (set phasers to stun Jim !!).

              There has been a few lucky escapes in the UK with Numpties filling PCP's with Oxygen.

              So Air only guys & gals (or CO2 in Paul's case )

          • #11
            If you are after power please be safe and do it the proper way and change the parts and dont play with other gas.

            Comment


            • #12
              If you're after power, please be safe and consider a rimfire.

              Comment


              • #13
                Na riz my 22lr rarely gets used my .25cal does everything the 22lr can and better.

                do you have a pcp?

                Comment


                • grmkc
                  grmkc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't temp him Adam. He'll out gun you.
                  My 22LR gets fair shooting time. Only because it's another HW. HW66 Production that is.

                • Riz
                  Riz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by adaml" post=29759
                  Na riz my 22lr rarely gets used my .25cal does everything the 22lr can and better.

                  do you have a pcp?
                  No, I haven't got a PCP Adam, but that's only because it's never been in the budget . I love my springers but I shoot centrefire pistol, rifles various, and a bit of shotgun too, so the wallet is over-stretched as it is. I'll join the cross-country scuba club one of these days, though.

                  I've posted about this before and I don't want to become a bore on the subject (but I probably will anyway :P ), but my personal take on the power game is that air rifles make most sense when they use waisted pellets that work well inside the intended distance, but lose energy fast after that. As power goes up, your projies need to become more and more like regular bullets, with all the added concerns about ricochets and over-travel that go with powder burners.

                  Since I like powder burners, if I need rimfire ballistics, personally I'll use a rimfire...but that's just me. I'm not saying you need to do the same.

                  Follow your heart but use your head, and the best of luck to you, old mate.

              • #14
                Haha im sure he will if i only used my air rifle typical.

                mmmmm hw they are all very nice rifles. Yeh every one has there most used.
                I rather use my air rifle than the rest of the selection i have has it is more quite when and where i hunt.

                Comment


                • Guest's Avatar
                  Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just quietly, what will the other gases do to the o rings etc. My home brewing days with Co2, it inflates the o rings.

                  Way too complicated with this stuff, just use dry air.

              • #15
                Send david a email and see what he comes up with. If he doesnt have it he can make it. I think running a .25cal valve or something is possible but you would need to go over it with a pro airgun smith like him or some of the other mobs.

                Comment

                Working...
                X