QLD AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QLD AR

Why does Qld seem to lack any real interest in AR. I would really like to know as I have seen recently south seems to have a good following. Brisbane has what I would call 4 regular air rifle shooters and for a club with as many members as it has I just don't get it. The sunny cost guys seem to be more interested and have a better following. Now with AFT up and running surely something can be done to increase our numbers. Any ideas.

When I lived in Ipswich I spoke to the SSAA Range guy about AR stuff. Like a Field Target are just Anything. He said, there is a couple (husband and wife) who shoot their ARs there and they are interested in the same, I'll put you in touch and you can work on something together. And that's the last I heard of it.

Unfortunately, the major clubs really don't cater to it. At Ipswich I was shooting on the pistol range

If there was a place where people could go, then I'm sure interest would pick up. So... who has a 100 acres close to town and is friendly to people with airrifles?

Comment

I'm hearing you, JM, but what the answer is I do not know. After seeing the number of AR shooters at the Australia Day RMS event for the last 2 years ( 50 plus) I was amazed there was that much interest in the southern part of our country, the numbers in Air Rifle silhouette grew so much the organisers had to expand what was a 2 day event to 3. Since joining this forum I know there are a lot of airgunners out there but trying to convince them to come to a range and participate is another thing, I just think most people might find range shooting a bit daunting, prefer to do their own thing on a bit of property or have other commitments that take priority.

Comment

• SteveR
        SteveR commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok so it is a little daunting when you're the only person at the range without this seasons must have accessory, the scuba tank on a trolley But it's great to meet decent people who share an interest.

I Wish I could find someone to shoot with period. I'm in Sth East Vic.

Comment

I was at the silhouette a couple of weeks ago at Belmont and enjoyed it a lot. I am very keen to get involved but find it hard to get info re what is on when; the ssaa bris website is not up to date, a guy at noosa shooters old me to check out north arms shoot but when we went there no one was there, etc. it's a bit hard unless you know the people in the first place to know what is on when. Not complaining, just explaining why I think I have only now stared to get involved.

That said, if someone can confirm that ar silhouette is on next thurs at Belmont I will be there for sure. (This time I will bring tweezers to pick the silhouettes, man they are small)

Perhaps we could intro an area on this forum for club shoot info etc? Actual places and times etc.
        Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          We will be there mate, while I shoot always someone to beat.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          We will be there.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve we will be there.

Originally posted by JM Caddy" post=26921
        Why does Qld seem to lack any real interest in AR. I would really like to know as I have seen recently south seems to have a good following. Brisbane has what I would call 4 regular air rifle shooters and for a club with as many members as it has I just don't get it. The sunny cost guys seem to be more interested and have a better following. Now with AFT up and running surely something can be done to increase our numbers. Any ideas.

It`s fear mostly - plus of course the really badly-thought-out laws regarding Firearm categorisation in Australia :lol:

IMO most Aussie shooters (especially the blokes) are simply afraid to get into Air-Guns because they lack the self-confidence to explore their inner-child

Maybe it`s just because they`re afraid that their mates might laugh at them for wanting to just have a bit of fun and `play` with what most people perceive as `just one-step-up from a toy gun`

More commonly though it`s simply because they lack the required skill, dedication and marksmanship to be able to prove otherwise

Hey maybe it`s a diet of too many bananas that makes this strange phenomena far more acute in Queensland - They certainly seem like a more macho bunch especially when it comes to the State of Origin :P
        "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• Plinksta
          Plinksta commented
          Editing a comment
          You have a sense of humor Druid hahaha. I dont think your far off sadly.

The whole one up factor would be one point, a lot of my friends would simply say why get an AR when you can get a 22lr which has more knockdown power blah blah blah. I don't need to say the rest do I? I'm sure you have heard the same sh*t.

If people know more about todays AR's it would be a different story I'm sure.

• Sambar Country
          Sambar Country commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Druid 66" post=27304
          Originally posted by JM Caddy" post=26921

It`s fear mostly - plus of course the really badly-thought-out laws regarding Firearm categorisation in Australia :lol:

IMO most Aussie shooters (especially the blokes) are simply afraid to get into Air-Guns because they lack the self-confidence to explore their inner-child

Maybe it`s just because they`re afraid that their mates might laugh at them for wanting to just have a bit of fun and `play` with what most people perceive as `just one-step-up from a toy gun`

More commonly though it`s simply because they lack the required skill, dedication and marksmanship to be able to prove otherwise

Hey maybe it`s a diet of too many bananas that makes this strange phenomena far more acute in Queensland - They certainly seem like a more macho bunch especially when it comes to the State of Origin :P
          No....you can't kill a deer with an air rifle, you need a .30 cal. You can't kill wild dogs with an air rifle, you need a .204 or more.

Its not the banana's, Druid, its the XXXX Gold

Comment

• G Unit
          G Unit commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Guys,
          What we really need are dedicated Air Rifle Ranges . Shooting Ranges that cater for Air Rifles. Where you can practice Field Target , Hunter Field ,Punch paper , shoot spinner targets. With what ever Air Rifle you want to use what ever caliber you want to use . Where everyone there have the same interests and you don't feel the odd person out. And not be told at a rimfire range that your .25 cal. air gun is too big and probably way too loud to shoot there !!!
          Sorry guys just ranting

Then of course their`s just the sheer lack of knowledge about the whole subject that really lets them down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0XVa5oyMU
        "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

I am a member of Mackay and Bowen both 100klms from me .AR folded in Mackay due to lack of support and 2 of us are struggling to get it going in Bowen .Some shooters are showing interest ,so here's hoping.
          It's not just AR but most shooting competitions up here. Both clubs have lots of members but the bulk are "Hunters'.
          They come in droves to sight their rifles in but as soon as a comp.is ready they pack and leave. After seeing some of the targets some guys could sure use some practice.
          Also at both clubs all the office bearers and people who run shoots plus those that work to keep the clubs running are target shooters as well as hunters.
          NOT ONE PERSON WHO IS STRICTLY A HUNTER EVER HELPS AT THE CLUBS .
          Yet they are the first to complain.
          Rant over
          Jim

Comment

I think another problem is...

Someone thinks "Gee, I had a slug gun when I was a kid, I wouldn't mind getting another one" and so they go off researching. Very quickly they discover that there is Way more to this whole AR thing than they thought. They just wanted a slug gun, now they are faced with Springer vs PCP vs CO2. And then within each of those areas there are entry level stuff and top of the range stuff which many of the "advisers" seem to have. Then there is all this talk about tuning. Intimidation sets in. All they wanted was a cheap ass slug gun to whack some Mynas and now they begin feeling they need to drop a grand+ on a PCP and pump and.... a confused mind says no... so they decide they'll just go buy a 22 rimfire instead as that seems way less confusing - and cheaper.

Comment

• Druid 66
              Druid66 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Mister" post=27543
              I think another problem is...

Someone thinks "Gee, I had a slug gun when I was a kid, I wouldn't mind getting another one" and so they go off researching. Very quickly they discover that there is Way more to this whole AR thing than they thought. They just wanted a slug gun, now they are faced with Springer vs PCP vs CO2. And then within each of those areas there are entry level stuff and top of the range stuff which many of the "advisers" seem to have. Then there is all this talk about tuning. Intimidation sets in. All they wanted was a cheap ass slug gun to whack some Mynas and now they begin feeling they need to drop a grand+ on a PCP and pump and.... a confused mind says no... so they decide they'll just go buy a 22 rimfire instead as that seems way less confusing - and cheaper.
              Valid points for sure - Luckily everything moves on and even the quantum leaps in Air-Gun technology over the last 20 years are`nt really that difficult to get your head round once you take an interest - Plus on the $$$s front once anyone bothers to do the sums it quickly becomes very obvious that even a $1000+ PCP is a lot more cost effective than the very cheapest rimmie once you`ve put a few tins of ammo through it

• grmkc
              grmkc commented
              Editing a comment
              Then, there is the other side of the fence where shop operators do not have the knowledge or resources on Airguns. How many staff serving you at the counter actually know about air guns. I've noticed that in the past 3-6 month, some of the owners of LGS's that I frequent are actually quizzing me for AR info. Bayswater for example has gone from pretty much just stocking Gamo, to now having the majority of the stock from German origin (HW & Diana). And, even a couple of PCPs (HW100). They said that customers were actually coming in and asking for the higher end brands.

Mister is correct when he said that ARs just aren't the slug gun that a lot of people grew up with. It's easier to find someone in the shop who knows about 22LRs than someone who knows about ARs. I went into a shop last week looking for some pellets and the guy who served me didn't even know where they were in the store. This is a big store in the CBD.

I would personally have felt intimidated taking an AR to the Springvale Range in the early days. You walk in and everyone is blazing away with the powder burners. However, I walk in now and I more often than not out shoot the 22LRs with my HW97K at 50m. It is they who now feel intimidated. I haven't taken the Blizz there yet but I wonder how they would react to ARs shooting 10 cent groups at 50m.

my two cents worth.

Just in case anyone is thinking that serious airguns - and taking airguns seriously - are recent developments...

Comment

************************************************** *********************************************

Speaking for myself, I really like the " Bang Bang " that comes from my firearms.

The shiver that goes down through my spine is unequalled to anything I've felt.

I'm a rimfire & centrefire pistol & rifle shooter.

Thanks...

************************************************** *********************************************

Comment

Perhaps we might need to organise an airgun forum shoot or something similar such as the blokes from another part of this forum have done. If any body is involved with a club that is receptive to the idea and is located reasonably central to everyone it could be worth a try. Keep it informal ( no serious comps ) with a bit of plinking at differing targets, maybe try other air rifles and meet and greet other air gunners I think it could spark some interest. IMO a lot of new shooters whether they are using ARs or powder burners find comp shooting a bit intimidating when they see the gear being used and all the associated rules, I know I did when first starting out many years ago, so if we could bring a bit of fun back into it, well, you never know where it may take our sport.

Hey, Maverick, my .22cal Daystate is loud enough to satisfy anyones desire for noise

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Strikey" post=27844
                  Perhaps we might need to organise an airgun forum shoot or something similar such as the blokes from another part of this forum have done. If any body is involved with a club that is receptive to the idea and is located reasonably central to everyone it could be worth a try. Keep it informal ( no serious comps ) with a bit of plinking at differing targets, maybe try other air rifles and meet and greet other air gunners I think it could spark some interest. IMO a lot of new shooters whether they are using ARs or powder burners find comp shooting a bit intimidating when they see the gear being used and all the associated rules, I know I did when first starting out many years ago, so if we could bring a bit of fun back into it, well, you never know where it may take our sport.

Hey, Maverick, my .22cal Daystate is loud enough to satisfy anyones desire for noise
                  Good idea mate maybe we could talk to Chris Dale incorporate a fun shoot day into FT. Shit I might even shoot in it.

Two of us at Bowen have been trying to get people interested in AR. We had a day a couple of months ago and got 1 or 2. We are having another go early next year. This will be as Strikey says with different targets set at easy ranges to let people see what it's all about.
                Our lgs tells me that they have sold a couple of dozen air guns in the past couple of months .Mostly Gamo springers and mixed with Gamo and Stoeger pellets I guess shooters just don't know what a good AR is capable of.
                We are determined to get it going. I guess that is the trouble with being a couple of Seniors . We are too dumb to know when we are beaten.
                Jim

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by oldfarmer" post=29390
                  Two of us at Bowen have been trying to get people interested in AR. We had a day a couple of months ago and got 1 or 2. We are having another go early next year. This will be as Strikey says with different targets set at easy ranges to let people see what it's all about.
                  Our lgs tells me that they have sold a couple of dozen air guns in the past couple of months .Mostly Gamo springers and mixed with Gamo and Stoeger pellets I guess shooters just don't know what a good AR is capable of.
                  We are determined to get it going. I guess that is the trouble with being a couple of Seniors . We are too dumb to know when we are beaten.
                  Jim
                  Jim
                  Don't give up mate I'm not going too. (I'm not to bright either, think it helps)
              Working...
              X