Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on cleaning stuff

Hey peeps,

Just after some suggestions on cleaning products. Need to get a pull through, probably make one, but I'm pretty lazy - so any suggestions on that would help too!

Basically some product names would help.

This is to clean my Marauder. Also, I noticed some surface rust on my air cylinder, anyone know how to stop this? it's in it's safe, has those silicon bags to soak up moisture in there too.

Froglube.

Maybe get some damp rid for the safe and check the location, it won't get as much condensation in there if it's at a fairly stable temperature, the more variation the more you will get condensation iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by SuburbanMe" post=26740
      Hey peeps,

Just after some suggestions on cleaning products.

Also, I noticed some surface rust on my air cylinder, anyone know how to stop this? .
      Have a look at VFG cleaning products. Talk to Klaus at Acme
      I used to be unconvinced about the cleaning pellets but am now an advocate of them.
      I use Ballistol for the barrel.

As to rust - what's your location? If it's somewhere humid you'll need to take steps to reduce the moisture.
      I simply wipe my guns down with and oily rag to remove any fingerprints and store in the safe.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Nigel-l" post=26754
        Hey peeps,

Just after some suggestions on cleaning products.

Also, I noticed some surface rust on my air cylinder, anyone know how to stop this? .
        Have a look at VFG cleaning products. Talk to Klaus at Acme
        I used to be unconvinced about the cleaning pellets but am now an advocate of them.
        I use Ballistol for the barrel.

As to rust - what's your location? If it's somewhere humid you'll need to take steps to reduce the moisture.
        I simply wipe my guns down with and oily rag to remove any fingerprints and store in the safe.
        I'm in Carrum Downs (VIC) at the moment, and the safe is locked up in my garage which is pretty dry, but I guess the fluctuations in temps recently won't help.
        I had thought of an oily rag, but was unsure what type of oil to use, and I've only got some 2 stroke oil - but I think it's a no no.

Personally I've never liked cleaning pellets (mind you I only have springers). You get much more control and feel with a rod or pull-through. Be sure to look after the muzzle crown though.

If you want a pull-through but don't want to make one, have a word with Matt.

Comment

Hi...

I use a pull through I bought from Matts kids....got to encourage the young....and a wipe with an oily rag...all done.

Paul

Comment

Hey peeps,

Just after some suggestions on cleaning products. Need to get a pull through, probably make one, but I'm pretty lazy - so any suggestions on that would help too!

This is to clean my Marauder. Also, I noticed some surface rust on my air cylinder, anyone know how to stop this? it's in it's safe, has those silicon bags to soak up moisture in there too.
          ************************************************** ************************************

SuburbanMe, I have quite few of these in my safes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	remingtomdehumidifer.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	40296

Made by Remington

The mains power type is probably the best though.

Name:	electricgunsafedehumidifier.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	40297

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************

Comment

Sounds like you need a mini dehumidifier and a gun sock. All the protection you need.
            Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, Glad to have somewhere to ask the Questions I have, and trust me, I have HEAPS! haha.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back to the range to sight in my scope, and I think giving the barrel a clean would obviously help. After everything I've been reading, I'm glad I didn't let the guy at the range have a crack. He was going to use a rod with a copper or nylon brush, and it would seem that doing so is a good way of damaging the O-rings in the breech? Hence the interest in a pull through. I've also read that the .22 bore snakes can also damage the O-rings due to them having the brushes built into the actual pull through. I'm not sure - just what I've read.

Anyway, Thanks again for the replies!

Comment

Hi Luke.

There is a thread in this air rifle forum from several days ago called cleaning. I provided a YouTube link for cleaning.

As for oils, pretty much any of the commercially available gun oils will do the job. I normally put through some oilled patches with the pull through followed with dry ones until they come out clean. I don't even use a rod on my HW66 22lr let alone the ars. I do the same with the 22lr. I used a lightly oilled rag with the same oil for the metal work.

As for shotting buddies. Email me. There are several of us airgun addicts in the east and southeast. Just a matter of organising the shoot I think.
                Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by grmkc" post=27170
                  Hi Luke.

There is a thread in this air rifle forum from several days ago called cleaning. I provided a YouTube link for cleaning.

As for oils, pretty much any of the commercially available gun oils will do the job. I normally put through some oilled patches with the pull through followed with dry ones until they come out clean. I don't even use a rod on my HW66 22lr let alone the ars. I do the same with the 22lr. I used a lightly oilled rag with the same oil for the metal work.

As for shotting buddies. Email me. There are several of us airgun addicts in the east and southeast. Just a matter of organising the shoot I think.
                  That vid was the one with the british guy right? That's what has prompted this question about what to use in regards to products. I just want to get a fair few opinions as I stated before the 'gunsmith' at the range wanted to stick a brush and pole up my barrel - hmm sounds painful. :P
                  I also saw this on Ebay, and read good reviews on it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Napier-Power-Pull-Through-Kit-Air-Rifle-gun-177-22-BSA-Cleaning-Kit-VP90-/321036681099?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingS ports_ET&hash=item4abf46ff8b
                  I'm totally into supporting kids too, the main reason I posted the above product was because It's specifically designed for Air rifles and last night I was reading on a British AR forum (I think) and they were swearing by it. Anyone have any experience with that product?

Heading down to the range on Saturday if you're interested. Not sure what time, Hope I can get a booth though. If ANYONE is keen to head down to the SSAA Springvale Range - come say hi, I'll be there with my Mrs just trying to sight this damn thing.

The thing that's kinda annoying me, is I'm a pretty good shot (IMO), but I've never been one to use a scope, only open sights on springers and pumpers. So setting this up is completely foreign. Oh, this may seem like a silly question, But how do you guys store your guns in regards to the bolt - Open or closed? I have mine open only due to the FO at the safety course saying that you should always have the action open if not shooting, and he takes guns off people for not doing that. So I have a range flag I modified covering the breech.

I use this stuff on all my guns myself - It does was it says on the tin and lasts for ages.

Obviously you would`nt want to use it anywhere inside the air-cylinder as High-Pressure-Air and Petroleum-Based-Lubricants are always a very dangerous combination But when it comes to wiping things down and squirting a little on a pull-through-pad G96 Complete-Gun-Treatment is your man

Also I will highly recommend one of V-MATT`s A&G Pull-Through-Kits for a PCP - (Pic please Matt ) They`re very-well-made, some of the money goes to charity and when you consider they`re Hand-Made-in-Australia they`re incredibly good value
                "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

Hi Suburban, A good trick is to make your own patches cut out of chux’s super wipes.
                  I do this for running solvent through the barrel as it absorbs more and then use the good Proshot patches for patching out.

Comment

BTW The A&G Pull-Through-Kits even come with a few cleaning patches included
                    "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• mattw975
                      mattw975 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Here's a piccie (I hope) 80 patches come with the kit

And the twins donate $2 to Ronald McDonald House from every sale

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	41000
                      Originally posted by Druid 66" post=27413
                      BTW The A&G Pull-Through-Kits even come with a few cleaning patches included

I am a massive advocate for Froglube... 14 weeks since last application and no rust in my safe during the dry season... I was getting 9 weeks during the last couple wet seasons... I dont use damprid or anything in my safe...
                    People who use Froglube swear by it...

Plus my wife doesnt mind the smell compared to other products I have...

Comment

• Mat1979
                      Mat1979 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Plus my wife doesnt mind the smell compared to other products I have...[/quote]

I could wear G96 as deodorant , I love the smell of the stuff .
                      But the wife hates it and I think it may ruin my shirts!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
                      Cheers Mat.
                  Working...
                  X