Anyone near Newcastle have a PCP? Advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone near Newcastle have a PCP? Advice needed!

Hi All!
    I am in the market for a PCP(currently have a Crosman NPSS and getting rid of it to upgrade).
    The role for this rifle is to take over the job of the 22LR and Long Z's removing bunnies from around the house (30m max). Z's out of my rifle get about a half inch at 30m groups and make the noise - well, of a Z... Furthermore, I would love to be able to get rid of pest birds (out to 40-50m).

I would like the PCP to be at least as quiet as the Z's if not quieter.
    It must be substantially more accurate.
    I would like the projectiles to drop their energy much quicker than the Z's once they hit the ground/object or over a shorter distance past the object.

Is this at all possible or am I dreaming?

Is there anyone in Newcastle who has a PCP that could show me how it performs?

I was looking at Evanix Monster but it appears to be far too powerful (shooting a similar sized projectile 150fps faster than the Z's)!
    Is it possible to tune down something like a Monster?

All help greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Andrew

Originally posted by wipikafish" post=21495
    Hi All!
    I am in the market for a PCP(currently have a Crosman NPSS and getting rid of it to upgrade).
    The role for this rifle is to take over the job of the 22LR and Long Z's removing bunnies from around the house (30m max). Z's out of my rifle get about a half inch at 30m groups and make the noise - well, of a Z... Furthermore, I would love to be able to get rid of pest birds (out to 40-50m).

It must be substantially more accurate

I was looking at Evanix Monster but it appears to be far too powerful
    Is you budget around that of a Monster?

Can't speak to tuning of Evavix - there are a few members that will be along presently to advise on the tuning side.
    There's a couple of Evanix tuning threads - have a look there to start with.
    Quiet - A Monster won't be.

You may need to find something on the second hand market that's shrouded to keep the noise down.
    PCPs running at full power aren't quiet - turned down a bit they begin to be stealthy.

Have a look at the FX Royale - Adjustable power tack driver. Completely boring to shoot - they all go in the same hole.
    I had shot with Phil's and it's beautiful.
    You can turn the power up and down with the adjustable wheel to suit the situation.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      The budget (as set by the wife ) is about $1200 including pump and scope (which is the price of this second hand 22 Monster).
      This monster I was looking at has some sort of shrouding/sound moderating device - apparently the volume of a nail gun... Im just worried about the energy carried through a rabbit at 20m...

I am completely okay with boring rifles that shoot through the same hole... I wont ever complain about that!

What sort of energy would I require for my intended purpose? Is de-tuning an air rifle a DIY job if you're half competent at tying your own shoes?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by wipikafish" post=21538
        Thanks for the reply.
        The budget (as set by the wife ) is about $1200 including pump and scope (which is the price of this second hand 22 Monster).

What sort of energy would I require for my intended purpose? Is de-tuning an air rifle a DIY job if you're half competent at tying your own shoes?
        Put a deposit on it tomorrow if it's going for that price inc scope and pump.
        You will want a scuba tank to fill it with, as pumping the twin tanks by hand will get old real quick.

Energy wise a sub 12ftlb gun is capable of taking a rabbit so if you got the Monster down to around 30 and it was quiet, it'd have more than enough. I regularly take rabbits with springers which have around 15-20 FPE.

Tuning - if you're half way mechanically minded then it's doable.
        Word of Caution - PCPs use high pressure air - safety first in all things - don't go sticking a screwdriver where it doesn't belong if you're not sure.
        Check back here and the Evanix owners will keep you on the right track.

• Spaana
        Spaana commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure how exactly to access the hammer spring on the monster in regard to the extra bottle hanging of the end, but if it's similar to the Blizzard it's not even a job.
        Check the thread at the top of the Airgun page on Evanix tuning. it's as simple as unscrewing a bolt and bunging in a new lighter spring.
        In stock form, my Blizzard was pumping out at 50fpe, now with the lighter spring it has around 30fpe. Plenty enough power, accurate, and quiet enough to shoot from the backdoor with out the missus even knowing about it.

Evanix Windy City Will Do All That you needed

Comment

• nate
        nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey guys i'm here...

Sorry to hear about your medical hearing issues - we'll get you something quiet.
        Blizzard S10 seems to fit the bill.
        Thats 5 shots within a 5c coin - 50m outdoors

Drop like a stone after 30?
        Never had that one... I'd got for a 22 for ammo availability & get the lightest ammo you could - it'll be affected more by drag & slow down faster, however its going to be pretty much linear.
        we've done the tuning already as mentioned before.

I'm lower north shore sydney, happy to help with rabbits & come for a drive on a weekend sometime.

• Snag
        Snag commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=21609
        Evanix Windy City Will Do All That you needed
        around 74 DB(A) at the rifle, bugger all at 30m.

But 70 grainers don't drop off in a hurry. (relatively speaking).

Welcome Andrew,

Where abouts in Newcastle are you mate ?

Originally posted by wipikafish" post=21495
      Hi All!

It must be substantially more accurate.
      I would like the projectiles to drop their energy much quicker than the Z's once they hit the ground/object or over a shorter distance past the object.

Is this at all possible or am I dreaming?

Is there anyone in Newcastle who has a PCP that could show me how it performs?

I was looking at Evanix Monster but it appears to be far too powerful (shooting a similar sized projectile 150fps faster than the Z's)!

All help greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Andrew

Comment

Again - thank you all for your replies! They've been incredibly helpful.
        The Monster comes with bipod, scope, bag, pump, some ammo and maybe a spare mag for $1200.
        How close to that price could I get a new Marauder for with the mentioned extras? From the looks of it, not quite close enough

To start answering some questions (in no particular order:

Im up in Port Stephens.

I had a look through the Evanix tuning page and rang AusArms to find out what can be done to the monster.
        The one thing that worried me was reading that if you lighten the hammer spring (which levers the velocity???) you run the risk of bump firing... Ive run into the same thing with shimming the trigger of my CZ.
        Is it possible to tune down the velocity safely?
        (sorry - been writing this at work since 9am - ill contingue it when I get home...)

Comment

• nate
          nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by wipikafish" post=21839
          How close to that price could I get a new Marauder for with the mentioned extras? From the looks of it, not quite close enough
          The one thing that worried me was reading that if you lighten the hammer spring (which levers the velocity???) you run the risk of bump firing...
          Is it possible to tune down the velocity safely?
          Forget the Mrod & stick with the Nix's
          Not sure how the hammer spring reduction will make it more prone to bump fire - if you changed the trigger springs then yes.
          I suppose in the right circumstance the bump could compress the striker & spring, relieve a bit of pressure off the trigger & then the trigger drops out of the way & it goes off.
          But for that to happen it has to be cocked... not sure why you'd be cocked & potentially loaded if you werent ready to fire - so no concerns for me.
          They've also got a very good safety mechanism too

The windy city sounds nice - but the budget is $1200 form start to finish
        Not even a new Marauder fit under that with all the attachments required. My best bet is a pre-loved model of some description that someone is willing to part with... Any takers?

Comment

• Plinker
          Plinker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I wont be parting with my Monster for a long time.

There are some differences between the monster and windy city etc. You have to remove the rear tank to get to the spring, and tune the trigger.

Putting a lighter spring would work, but the monster has a different plug end, and a heavier spring than the WC or others. Mine was doing 60fpe or more when I got it. Changing the spring does change the trigger to a certain degree, but there wont be any safety issues going from heavier to lighter, its going the other way when you need to tune the trigger for safety, if anything you can make the trigger a bit better or lighter with a lighter load on the trigger sear.

I ended up on cutting two coils off the hammer spring, and fitting two regulators set to 150Bar one for each tank.
          If you can get a Monster for $1200 that is in reasonable condition, then its a steal.

You can tune and then put regs on a bit later on if you wish to make it more consistent. I get a 4-6fps spread over 90 shots JSB 18.1 940 fps and H&N 21gr 900fps

Heavy gun though, shoots well, great on properties where there are lots of rabbits, mine shoot predators polymags also.

Get some patches or cleaning system for the barrel you will need if you shoot lots.

If you can make a trip down to the south coast of NSW, I am 300km south of Sydney, I can take you to the local range to shoot it.

//Plinker
      Working...
      X