Comment

Don't let him fool ya's fellas.......it's a cardboard cutout. :P

Comment

Do you fancy selling it?

Comment

• grmkc
          grmkc commented
          Editing a comment
          Well worth the wait. BUT, what about the rest of us?

Devastated That is how I now feel after firing this new rifle

Why? Because I now realise I have gone for all these long years shooting completely the wrong calibres in Air Rifle

Man this thing shoots!!
        The trajectory is Soo forgiving out to 50yds and at the current export setting of 20FPE 16FPE my homemade knock downs are copping a real flogging

Straight out of the box I`m actually managing to reliably knock down (2 times out of 3 anyway) a 40mm target at 50yds `field-sitting` just with the OEM open sights
        Heavens knows what it`ll do if I actually bother to put a scope on it
        "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Try the open sights for a while, maybe they will get better and better, with no scope issues or weight?

I want one.

How do you reckon the smack-down factor compares with .22?

Comment

• Druid 66
          Druid66 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Riz" post=23817
          I want one.

How do you reckon the smack-down factor compares with .22?
          Much better Riz especially out of this one :P

With a rifle like that you won't need to stalk your rabbits. They'll volunteer. :lol:

Comment

Yep - This `job in the town` was on the Tuesday morning shift I reckon - Bugger all twang, negligible dieseling, barely noticeable recoil, perfectly set trigger and driving tacks straight out of the box - Nicest Winerack I`ve ever shot for sure

Comment

Don't tell me they even lubed it at the factory?

Comment

Soon find out when I rip the guts out of it mate Gotta source a spare spring first and then Matt`s going to sort me out with a tuning kit - Tell you what mind...it`s going to be hard to improve on perfection

Comment

If anything Geoff I`ll get Matt to reduce the power a little just to smooth things out even more

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What did that set you back?

Just ordered a HW50S, now I'm second guessing my self

Any questions?! :P

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Druid 66" post=37732
                  Any questions?! :P
                  What was the lube like.
                  How tight is the guide

Key point Nigel - Well done

This is actually the second stripdown shown here as my first effort produced far too much dieselling for my liking probably because I`d wiped the piston and cylinder over with an oily rag before I reassembled it - BIG Mistake :S

Consequently during this second strip-down I took no prisoners - coming in with a complete and thorough degrease with a HD-Auto water soluble degreaser - Then washing everything down with hot-water (hence the galvanised watering-can) and finally drying it all off with the garage air compressor gun and leaving all the guts to bake dry in the hot Aussie sun-shine

Went real careful this time using only a lightly brushed film of TR-Robb MS2 on the new V-MATT Spring Guide and Geoff`s spare .177 HW97K End-Polished Main-Spring

This time the piston assembly got no more than a couple of drops of Silicon-Spray wiped over it - and the Trigger Sear and Piston Catch a small smear of Moly.

The guide was Damn-Tight - I know that`s how Matt likes them but I begged to differ - so I just roughed it over a little with some 400 grit emery - Another light brush of Moly and it snugged in fair-tidy - BTW The Top Hat got rammed in hard - especially as I`d taken it out to heat-shrink two of the coils down as a down-tune.

Only other lubing I did was lightly smearing Vasoline into the inletting before the action went back in (old pomme-springer waterproofing-trick ) and then wiping down the externals with G86 after reassembly

Comment

• SteveR
                  SteveR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tell us a bit more about the Vaseline waterproofing trick if you don't mind... I am always very paranoid about moisture, and will be much more so when my new R9 in .20 arrives...

Yes Matt it`s back together now thanks and she`s shooting like a champ with NO Twang what-so-ever and no more pesky deseilling either :P

As is always advisable I`ve gone over to a heavy pellet now too run her back in and right now she`s bunging out a consistent 690 Fps - which with the 13.89Grn H&N Barracudas adds up to a very nice 14.65 FPE

Comment

• mattw975
                  mattw975 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent news, she'll bed in nicely to 15 fpe or so

Guide tightness is a very personal thing, the Venom boys used to hammer them home !! My preference is "a good hand shove" tight is sufficient & a spring & a cocking lever will overcome such a fit no dramas.

I'd rather make em tight, as its a heck of a lot easier to take material off than put it on

If its twang free it's tight enough.

For those springer newbies, a well fitting spring guide cuts out the twang & gives the gun directional recoil fore & aft (in the line of sight). Spring twang causes multi-directional recoil left, right, up, down, fore & aft which can have a detrimental effect on groups if not controlled by a super consistent shooting technique (or eliminated with a better fitting spring guide).

This issue is more of a drama on lighter guns.

Matt W

Originally posted by Druid 66" post=37759
                  Yes Matt it`s back together now thanks and she`s shooting like a champ with NO Twang what-so-ever and no more pesky deseilling either :P

As is always advisable I`ve gone over to a heavy pellet now too run her back in and right now she`s bunging out a consistent 690 Fps - which with the 13.89Grn H&N Barracudas adds up to a very nice 14.65 FPE

Well some might say the OEM Factory-Lube-Job was a bit dry Nigel but IMO it was more than adequate - Tell you what after this job I can certainly now see the wisdom in being prudent with any internal lubes - The OEM guide was indeed a fair bit looser than it could of been

Getting some great groups for a pre-coiler (C`mon it is a Weihrauch ) especially with my new Williams Peep Sight and now Filed down to a fine-point Front-Post
                I suppose if I was light-weight enough I could desecrate it with a poncy-looking scope and give my two lardy-dah PCPs a run for their money :P

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love the stock on that rifle Mark, how do you find the laminate as far as finish and feel go?
                  I reckon I would get that exact same rifle if I was going to get another springer and I weren't so smitten with my R7
              Working...
              X