Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diana Model 54 Airking

G'day guys,

Aynyone have personal experience with this rifle? It seems that this forum is very weirauch oriented, but this rifle seems to get good reviews and has plenty of oomph - more than the hw97 for example. Apart from an apparent tendency to break scopes, it looks pretty good to me, as someone who is at their wits end with a powerful yet unrefined break barrel.
    Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

I'm assuming this is the one on Abused guns.

The neighbour across the road shoots comp with a Walther side lever model and he reckons that the side lever is a pain to use.

Have a chat to Matt and see if the Cometa you have can be put through finishing school for better behavioral traits. If you're in Melbourne, a few of us would be happy to help you through tuning.
    Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      Two of the boys who used to shoot at Belmont had one each. I'm afraid I cannot recommend them based on their experiences. One of them kept destroying itself (the recoilless action completely destroyed itself on 2 occasions) the other had major accuracy issues and ended up being replaced under warranty and the replacement gun had two new springs fitted to it in quick succession (under warranty) the first of which broke when the gun was cocked for the very first time and the second broke after shooting less than 100 shots . It was again replaced under warranty and the rifle was promptly traded in on ............wait for it.........a hw97 . The trigger on the 54 is also nowhere near the quality of the Rekord that is on the HW (it is the standard by which all other airgun triggers are measured).

I personally wouldn't waste my money on one and would much rather spend my hard earned on the 97. They have the reputation they have for a very good reason. It's not that we are Weihrauch oriented but we are reliability oriented and the HW's tick that box every time. Spring piston airguns aren't meant to produce mountains of power, sure you can do it but there is a cost unfortunately and I've yet to see a Diana (like many others) achieve the advertised numbers, least ways not without using a super light pellet and they don't shoot so there is really not point in having power if you can't hit your target with it. A problem that you are already experiencing I believe.

In short, I believe there are really only 2 guns to be considered in a top end under lever in Australia, one being the HW97 the other being the beautifully made Air Arms Tx200. Everything else pails into insignificance in my opinion. The very fact that the Australian agent sells their 97 stocks almost as fast as they can get them is a testament to that.

Comment

• Druid 66
        Druid66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Uncakikki" post=20965
        In short, I believe there are really only 2 guns to be considered in a top end under lever in Australia, one being the HW97 the other being the beautifully made Air Arms Tx200. Everything else pails into insignificance in my opinion. The very fact that the Australian agent sells their 97 stocks almost as fast as they can get them is a testament to that.
        The truth has been spoken - Anything else is Myth or Legend

De-tune the Cometa, it will be much better to shoot.

Or sell & buy a 97

Originally posted by SteveR" post=20944
      G'day guys,

Aynyone have personal experience with this rifle? It seems that this forum is very weirauch oriented, but this rifle seems to get good reviews and has plenty of oomph - more than the hw97 for example. Apart from an apparent tendency to break scopes, it looks pretty good to me, as someone who is at their wits end with a powerful yet unrefined break barrel.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am planning to have a go at refining the cometa, the trigger is the main issue - a more creepy, scratchy trigger I have not met. Whereas every review if it spoke of how good the triggers are. Mine feels like the sears were cut using an oxy torch. I have a go at it soon, and also give the spring ends and piston a polish and add some spring tar to tame the spring a bit. Is there anywhere in Australia that sells spring tar?

I have photos of rifle and trigger disassembly so should be able to work it out. Or may be in the market soon than expected!
        Beeman R9 .20 | Cometa Fusion .22 | Weihrauch HW80k .25

PCP is not my drug of choice

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Never believe reviews Steve........Have you ever read a bad one? Give Lewis Reinholdt a ring at Greenfield mowers a ring 3875 9400 I'm pretty sure he'll still have some of what you are looking for and he isn't far from you.
      Working...
      X