Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin marauder modification

Hi guys ,
    Heres some pics of a modification i did on a new import marauder. This is a fully legal import, with no reduction in noise levels as per the new interpretation of the law.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050640x480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	34455

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052640x480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	34456
    As you can see the shroud is removed completley leaving tha barrel exposed, and the fake muzzle flash supressor is holding the barrel in alignment inside the barrel band. I have not test fired the gun it is brand new. I have my own marauder that i will accuracy test when i have time, but i am extrememly confident accuracy will be excellent and not vary at all from shrouded versions. One thing for sure is the gun is alot shorter and feels lighter and more managable. Let me know what you think.

Cheers
    Jeff

I think it looks great....and (in case no-one has mentioned it before :P ) I think banning silencers is stark, staring mad.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work Jeff, looking very Air Armsesque there!

......But, as has been mentioned many times before, how completely ridiculous it is that our laws re shrouds and supressors mean we have to go to such lengths to appease the law and adulterate guns coming into this country, that are designed to be shrouded (and have light factory trigger)

Aus must seriously be the laughing stock of the global airgunning community.

• Plinksta
      Plinksta commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jeff

Looks good actually, but have you thought about having the barrel sleeved in between the muzzle brake and the action? The exposed crown looks out of place that's all.

Jeff...thats one very nice Mrod....well done...Paul

Comment

I did think about machining up a cover that would screw onto the action end and hide the thread, but it kinda looks ok, you don't notice it as much as youd think.
      I machined it Andy from some round bar aluminium. Its a lot of work but I think it sets off the rifle well. Without it the gun looks weird.
      thanks for the positive comments guys. The laws are the laws, we can only abide by them, but we believe there is still a viable market for these fine guns and they are a very good gun for the price, unfortunately they have gone up to compensate for the extra work and dropping dollar to $850.

Cheers
      Jeff

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Put any lead through it yet? I'm curious how she groups with the muzzle break rigidly mounted into the barrel band, wouldn't surprise me if there's bugger all difference

What is the weight of your brake vs the shroud?

It would be good to get a db reading against shroud vs brake from shooting postion out to say 80m or so.

Comment

• nate
        nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by adaml" post=26270
        It would be good to get a db reading against shroud vs brake from shooting postion out to say 80m or so.
        There are no reductions in noise.

Yes and noise reduction is a no no, remember louder is better

Comment

Nate im sure the data between the two can still be shown to see what the noise difference is.

Comment

• nate
          nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by adaml" post=26633
          Nate im sure the data between the two can still be shown to see what the noise difference is.
          89db shrouded
          89db with HPA's mods.

done.

Im not sure of the DB rating on unshrouded Marauders guys , but i can tell you from experience they are a little quiter than an Airforce condor for instance. But out in the field they arent as loud as a rimfire and from a distance hard to hear, say at 80 meters. Accuracy testing will be done as soon as i find the time, but i could almost garuantee it wont be affected at all with shroud on or off. You can tune these guns to shoot quieter and by reducing the velocity. They usually spit out .22 pellets at a 1000 FPS or there abouts, around 750 to 800 with the heaviest pellets. If you drop the velocity down to say 900 with light pellets and 700 with heavier, you wont notice too much difference in trajectory but you will have reduced report due to less air being used.

The powers that be have deemed anything that reduces the report to be a silencer or moderator, i know its a shame as shrouded air rifles are great, but dont let that stop you from owning a pcp air rifle. They are great fun, have immense power for an air rfile and are cheap to shoot. I have a .25 as my own gun and it shoots incredibly accurate and is great fun , but a bit heavy. This modified one in stock is quite light, but that could be due to the density of the wood, its lighter than most marauders ive handled. PCP's are inherenatly more accurate than springers due to the lack of recoil when firing. The marauder is a good place to start in the PCP world, they are dependable and nicely made, no way as good as some of the german or UK guns but not bad. If i can figure out how to post a video ill do some shooting and you can judge for yourself the noise level.

Comment

Looking forward to th3 videos.
          you can tune the gun down but there needs to be a balance between power and shot count.

If it is going to be a little less loud the a condor may as well go a condor in my eyes.

its a shame the fun police wreck everything

Comment

You are so right adaml, the shrouded guns were much less hassle to import and sell, no need to modify the gun at all until our competitors had a whinge to customs and had drop tests implemented in Victoria. Now I assume that marauders imported by others into Australia do actually adhere to the law and DO NOT reduce the report in any way as if they do they will be in breach of the new interpretation by customs and the attorney general's department. I would suggest if anyone that buys a new shrouded gun that supposedly "complies "is unsure, they can unscrew the shroud and test it for themselves. It is quite easy as the shroud can be removed by hand you simply unscrew it. If the gun is quieter with the shroud on then im afraid it is not legal and therefore could present problems. From what the firearms department of the attorney general has informed us, ANY reduction however small will be deemed as a silenced or moderated weapon requiring a Cat D license. For that reason we have tested different modifications to this gun to see if there is indeed any reduction with certain mods and anything that extended past the barrel unless open ended or fully blocked caused a reduction. I made the decision to modify our marauders to comply to the new interpretation completely, no grey area. I do not want any of my customers having to hand in guns as restricted weapons or worse. You can rest assured Marauders imported by Hi Power airguns are fully compliant with current laws.

I may be biased Adaml as I love airforce guns, but you might be right about the condor. The marauder had 2 important advantages over a condor, they were quieter and they had a 10 shot magazine. Now the only advantage is the magazine but in power terms the marauder is half the power of a condor at 30 FPE, condor 60FPE. The condor has a higher shot count than the marauder and has comparable accuracy, and they are considerably lighter.

Comment

• Plinker
              Plinker commented
              Editing a comment
              CAT D...mmm not sure on that one, permits for suppressors (and shrouds on newly imported air rifles) is possible on CAT A with the correctly worded permit. But to be honest why would you bother. You only have to look to the UK and other markets to see that LDC's are put on shrouded air rifles.
              Once the suppressor is attached to the firearm it does become a prohibited item, so you need the permit for that as well, and all the restrictions that come with a prohibited firearm.

Just got back from NZ work trip and all the gun/hunting mags have people with suppressors on their guns and advertisements for them..
              Its just considered normal over there.

//Plinker
          Working...
          X