• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Target NSW, Lets get it off the ground

Hi Guys,
    This is an idea I was floating back on the old site,
    I would still be keen if any members are interested,
    I have had no experience in setting up a group or club etc but I think the way we could do this is approach a ranges is N.S.W and put forward this idea,
    It would also be a good way to get people into the sport,
    Of the ranges near me (central coast) I can think of a few that would be suitable such as Gosford, Wyong and possible Tuggerah Lakes.
    Anyone who has ideas for NSW I would be keen to hear them,

Regards

CS

I would also been keen to get into it but will need another pcp.

Comment

You know I'm keen & always up to help CS

Just need to find a range that will allow FT.

For God Sakes don't let Adam near the FT targets with his .25 MRod

Comment

It's fairy hard to get the people that run ranges to accept a new discipline , if it's a competition then you have more chance but if it's just casual fun shooting forget it . If the range is already over crowded as many are then it might be even harder .
        If you could find a user friendly range then it's a good idea .

Comment

Haha matt gives me a reason to buy a fx gun in a 177!! I wont use the mrod need to get it cracking still with the mods

Comment

• grmkc
            grmkc commented
            Editing a comment
            Adam, you don't need the FX, You need the Air Arms FTP900.

Wow haha how much is that AR looks like one series bit of gear

Comment

• grmkc
            grmkc commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty much on par with Steyr Hunter 5 or LG110 Hunter.

You ready?

On current exchange rate (depending on whose) 1485 BPS which works out at about $2500 AUD. Big but. By the time we jump through hoops and cut all the red tape I reckon it'll be closer to $3-3.2K. :S

It was reviewed on Airgunner. can't remember which issue. If i find it I start a new thread.

Wow i would need to sell some body parts put a scope and mounts on it i guess about $4000

Comment

I will be sending off a few emails today to see if we can get any interest from the ranges.

Comment

I'm keen if you can get it going. I'd even drive up to the central coast to shoot it.

Comment

Hi guys,
                Still keen to get this going,
                My apologies I have been away for several weeks with work then a stint in the green with the army,

Comment

• mattw975
                  mattw975 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any thoughts on a suitable range CS ?

Originally posted by Citizen soldier" post=34269
                  Hi guys,
                  Still keen to get this going,
                  My apologies I have been away for several weeks with work then a stint in the green with the army,

What are the actual requirements for an air rifle shooting range? I have never been able to get hold of the range safety template for air rifles, if such an item exists but I would imagine that it would be a smaller area than that needed for a rimfire range.
                The next question would have to be the desired layout of the course. From what I have read in the UK mags, their courses are all laid out in bushland and change on a regular basis. Depending on the safety template, is it possible to use private land for a "one-off" trial get-together?
                Just a thought.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by OldHilly" post=36115
                  What are the actual requirements for an air rifle shooting range? I have never been able to get hold of the range safety template for air rifles, if such an item exists but I would imagine that it would be a smaller area than that needed for a rimfire range.
                  The next question would have to be the desired layout of the course. From what I have read in the UK mags, their courses are all laid out in bushland and change on a regular basis. Depending on the safety template, is it possible to use private land for a "one-off" trial get-together?
                  Just a thought.
                  If you were to contact the SSAA Discipline Chairman for Field Target I am sure he would help with the safety template required for Air Rifles, I think it is about 200 metres from the firing line (happy to be corrected on that), as for running a "one-off" trial there would no doubt be endless legal issues if it was on private land with our ridiculous firearm laws

Strikey, you are right about all the legal BS that goes with shooting in our fair state of NSW but for a discrete "one-off" get together on private land things might be OK. The key word here is "discrete". Out of sight is out of mind. None of my land is suitable because it's too close to the road (high visibility) and too much scrub on the rest of the place otherwise I would organise something here.
                The Port Macquarie shooting complex has plenty of space mow that the 1,000 yard range has gone due to the airport upgrade so there is another possibility. Keiran Dick is the man to talk to and if my 3 remaining brain cells can remember to speak to him next time he comes into the shop I will ask him. I spoke to Barney Jenkins from Firearms Registry about this some years ago and he didn't seem too worried about it but I am told there is a "new broom" up there now so we might have to start again from scratch.

Comment

• mattw975
                  mattw975 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The discrete approach worked in the UK, it all started as a casual get together back in the 80's.

Not that there it needed to be discrete

The problem here is someone could jump through all the right hoops, set it up & still very few turn up. People need to try before they buy IMHO, but its easier said than done.

Maybe the Port McQ area is a good start, as at least you should get people from NSW & QLD to travel there ?

Originally posted by OldHilly" post=36467
                  Strikey, you are right about all the legal BS that goes with shooting in our fair state of NSW but for a discrete "one-off" get together on private land things might be OK. The key word here is "discrete". Out of sight is out of mind. None of my land is suitable because it's too close to the road (high visibility) and too much scrub on the rest of the place otherwise I would organise something here.
                  The Port Macquarie shooting complex has plenty of space mow that the 1,000 yard range has gone due to the airport upgrade so there is another possibility. Keiran Dick is the man to talk to and if my 3 remaining brain cells can remember to speak to him next time he comes into the shop I will ask him. I spoke to Barney Jenkins from Firearms Registry about this some years ago and he didn't seem too worried about it but I am told there is a "new broom" up there now so we might have to start again from scratch.

Well, I have no idea how many people in Port Macquarie would show much interest in Field Target. There are a couple of metallic shilouette shooters nearby and a couple of air rifle shooters at the small bore club but they mainly shoot benchrest. The next problem is that I have absolutely no idea about how to set out a course of fire. Targets would be another problem. I have 4 Gamo Rat field targets and there is another one in the shop, that makes 5 out of a total of what, 20? 10 lanes x 2 targets per lane seems about as much as could be handled safely and sanely. Sadly, "Outdoor Sporting Agencies" don't seem to bring the adjustable aperture Gamo targets that have been around for a couple of years now, although I could probably do a bit of grovelling to someone important if needs be.
                What say the men of wisdom and experience in these matters?

Comment

I`d come down to Port for sure - and I`ve got a few knockdown targets I could bring
                  "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

The next question is simple. What sort of area do we need? Port Macquarie range is mainly either grass or Tea Tree swamp and we would probably be shooting towards the Southern side of the range. I guess we need some sort of indication as to space requirements and the duration of the shoot.
                    I know: How long is a piece of string? :S We need (I need) some info to throw on the table.

Comment

• mattw975
                      mattw975 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      https://www.ssaa.org.au/competition-info/air-rifle-field-target.html#.UprygcsayK0

Kindly produced by our own Uncakikki

Originally posted by OldHilly" post=36667
                      The next question is simple. What sort of area do we need? Port Macquarie range is mainly either grass or Tea Tree swamp and we would probably be shooting towards the Southern side of the range. I guess we need some sort of indication as to space requirements and the duration of the shoot.
                      I know: How long is a piece of string? :S We need (I need) some info to throw on the table.
                  Working...
                  X