Springer Accuracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer Accuracy.

I just finished reading an interesting article relating to spring gun accuracy.
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/2010/11/uncle-jock%E2%80%99s-screwy-theory-of-reducing-springer-hold-sensitivity.html

My hw80 has been giving me grief over the past few days since I picked it up, sometimes returning great shot groupings and other times not so great. After reading the article I remembered that the rifle was grouping better with the 4x32 mountmaster scope fitted than when I fitted the 6x40 to it yesterday and tried in vain to zero it.
    I also noticed that when I removed the 4x32 off the missus' Gamo deltamax a few days ago and replaced it with a walther red dot sight the shot grouping at 10m improved from a "cloverleaf" type hole (shot holes all touching) to a single ragged hole.

Maybe this bloke from AoA is onto something, Well food for thought for those of us with troublesome springers.

Off to the cane paddock range tomorrow to concentrate on correct rifle hold, any tips greatly appreciated, and the above info in mind and I'll see how I go. I don't mind putting 200+ shots down-range when they are only 4c each.

Chewy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VGHVsP_b8

"Could it be me ???" Yes.
    "Be patient " Grrrrrrr.

More food for thought for those of us with troublesome springers AND troublesome shooting techniques.

Chewy.

Comment

• grmkc
      grmkc commented
      Editing a comment
      Nigel gave me a tip on how to shoot more consistently a few weeks back. Happy to pass it on.
      Find the center of gravity and balance for your rifle and place a piece to tape where it's located on the forearm. If you hold the rifle the same way at the same position on the center of balance, the recoil will come directly back on a single horizontal plane into your shoulder rather than wanting to go up or down.
      Hope that helps and not add more confusion. Have plenty of Weetbix before you go tomorrow and have fun.

Have a read of the attached link.
    Not being an air gunner (powder burner addict and the bigger the better) and one to believe everything I read, I tried it for my self, end ended up amazed.
    It also explained the sometimes unexplained loss of grouping ability, and to think, that I almost doubted my self. :lol:
    http://uksurvive.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/holding-a-spring-piston-or-gas-ram-air-gun/
    The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Comment

• Druid 66
      Druid66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just goes to show how important Air Rifles are does`nt it - Arguably they are still the very best way to learn how to shoot properly

A hard recoiling high quality springer like the HW80 takes skill to shoot accurately and training with one will soon reveal any weaknesses in a shooters technique.

Nice little introduction video for the beginner that Chewy - nicely covering the bare basics with both good advice about optics and hold - I also really like the way the guy demonstrates correct and safe loading procedure with such a well practiced air

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by retired" post=9266
      Have a read of the attached link.
      Not being an air gunner (powder burner addict and the bigger the better) and one to believe everything I read, I tried it for my self, end ended up amazed.
      It also explained the sometimes unexplained loss of grouping ability, and to think, that I almost doubted my self. :lol:
      http://uksurvive.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/holding-a-spring-piston-or-gas-ram-air-gun/
      Thanks mate, very interesting reading. Will be putting it into practice tomorrow.

Chewy.

Just one thing to consider mate, is that nothing is set in stone in regards to springers.
    My last shooting session with my '80' I tried various holds etc.. and the last few groups I fired was with a really firm 'death grip' hold and those few groups were the best of the day! So when shooting it mate, try EVERYTHING!
    My '80 is a pretty similar setup to yours (got the same kit in it) so try holding it artillery style - but give it a try firmly too and see what happens... heck, you might be surprised!

GB,

Russ.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      X

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      A firm grip on the the fore end whilst resting on a soft surface seems to produce the most consistent results for me.
      If I try to bench rest the springers, the muzzle flips and the groups spray all over the place.
      Try to hold the gun the same way each time so that's one less variable.
      Try placing your thumb on the back of the cylinder to help hold the gun in line.
      Experiment with how you hold the pistol grip.
      While experimenting with hold, just use one pellet until you're satisfied you've found what works for you.

There's so many variables that you need to focus on one thing at a time.
      Pellets are an entire discussion by themselves. I do notice that a loose fitting pellet will always fly.

Besides the front grip...

Also... some springers don't settle down until they've had maybe 500+ pellets through them.

Throw in Pellet Preference as well and you have a range of variables that can drive a new springer owner nuts.

I've got a review of one of my spingers I'll get up in the next few days. Including the pellet testing - which revealed the most common and ready available pellets were the worst performers.

Comment

Good topic with good timing, getting to know my new old Diana 34 177 and working hard at this hold bit.
      Get it right

get it wrong
      Very fine line.
      All groups with H&N Baracuda @ MV 700fps the best pellet available around here so far.
      Attached Files

Comment

I tried a heap of different holds and supports this morning, and am feeling much better about myself and my '80.

The gun likes a palm support with no fingers on the fore-end, just at the point of balance. Both elbows not supported (was using rolled towel to support hand), a tight grip on the pistol grip and a light touch to the comb of the stock with the cheek. It took a lot of trial and error and I'm happy with how things are coming along accuracy wise. 50c piece sized groups consistently at 20m. Not amazing I know but a long way from a few days ago. Consistency was what I was going for today. Going to try a few more pellets types over next weekend and practice, practice, practice to reduce that grouping size. Smiles all round.

Cheers all.

Chewy.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Chewdog" post=10202
          The gun likes a palm support with no fingers on the fore-end, just at the point of balance. Both elbows not supported (was using rolled towel to support hand), a tight grip on the pistol grip and a light touch to the comb of the stock with the cheek. It took a lot of trial and error and I'm happy with how things are coming along accuracy wise. 50c piece sized groups consistently at 20m. Not amazing I know but a long way from a few days ago. Consistency was what I was going for today.
          Cheers all.

Chewy.
          What pellets were you feeding it?
          Mine prefers a diet of H&N.

I tend to use a thumb and forefinger grip up front.

JSB Exact Heavy 18gr. I am going to give some H & Ns a go next.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if the smaller less powerful at have as much trouble as the bigger springers?

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Chewdog" post=10248

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Chewdog" post=10248
          I found the H&Ns just edged out the JSBs.

I use FTT's in my 97K. Head diameter 5.54mm. They give me tiny groups.

I need to get some more trigger practise in though and try some different holds. Usually shoot off sticks with soft padding for the rifle support. Groups can be a little inconsistent if i change the position or were the sticks are along the stock.

Im not great at group shooting however. Find my groups shrink the most if i dont drink coffee all day like i usually do :lol:

I find i get better results by setting gumnuts up and 25,30,35,40,45 yards. Can smash them all day long, then try shooting a group and always blow it.

Comment

Working...
        X