Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided to do something

Hi....

I have had enough of the sillyness of all air rifles being Cat A and decided to voice my opinion.

Nick Xenophon was the first person I wrote to about this. In short I just argued that people who want an air rifle to kill vermin are forced into doing a safety course; this then gives them access to what they didnt want in the first place, powder burners. After the TAFE course many people buy because they can. I went onto suggest that if the Government were to stop this practise people would just buy an air rifle and be happy. The country would than have less powder burners available. Logical to me. I am not anti powder burner, just looking for a start of some common sense.

The laws and limitations of the UK were explained and given as an example. Not my idea, just something I have seen on here before.

The reply came with the suggestion that i contact my local MP and explain my reasoning. So I did exactly that. My local MP is now passing the idea onto the Attorney General. Will this do any good? I doubt it.....but it does make me feel a little better.

A better feeling Paul

Good on you Paul well done indeed
    "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• Sumo
      Sumo commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure on your message but good on ya for being proactive.

Well done Paul for DOING something many of us think only about doing or whinge about to our mates.

I also agree with the point that a collective voice is louder than an individuals,

Chewy.

Comment

Hi

Isnt it great to think that people agree that something needs to be done and are voicing an opinion. Sad to say that voicing it here will do little. You need to be proactive.

Since the people here have computers, or atleast access to one, why not jump into a new tab on your browser and write to a politician. Then you would have done something. I am not saying some people have not but as you can imagine, the more the merrier.

Please write to a Federal member and a State member. Perhaps the two might talk.

Looking to more people writing here and saying they have written to an MP.

Paul

and if your sitting on the side, visiting etc...write a letter too.

Comment

Good job the problem is this forum is not large enough as alot of shooters dont use the net. If there was another way to spread the word or get people on our side and help with this issue the chance of it will increase as people power grow

Comment

Make some flyers for the forum and post em up at your local rage. Also starting a Facebook page will help get people onboard - only problem is you don't want the 'dick heads' ruining everything.

Comment

I agree with everyone's thinking whole heartedly . The idea of sub 6fpe pistol and sub 12fpe rifles really appeals to me and I would support it in it's fullest .

I will say one thing however and that is be very careful of using the terms "dangerous" and "firearm" in the same sentence or even conversation . No firearm is dangerous in any way shape colour or form, they only become potentially dangerous when the human element is introduced. We must be very careful as to not personify inanimate objects, the moment that happens emotion gets introduced to the debate and that my friends is what the anti gun people base their entire argument upon .

Comment

I have to put my 2c worth of agreement in on this.

This is a great idea for the air gun community. I recall when the GCA knobs were out peddling their wares against the proposed de-classifying of air rifles in NSW some years ago, spouting that they 'can kill an elephant' or 'bring down a jetliner' or some crap. Okay, there are some very rare mega high powered ones, and not so rare ones like the Rogue, but they were painting your .177 Norinco as bloody AR15.

FWIW, I am one of those people who jumped through the hoops to get my mits on a fit for purpose air rifle. I was set on a nice $400 break barrel Gamo.
              By the time I bought a $400 safe, did a $450 'Firearm Safety Course' , got a $20 permit to hunt on Crown land, went to officeworks to print out photos of my safe and a tank of fuel driving all over the place, I wasn't settling on some .177 Break Barrel.

Now I own an FX airgun, with another on order, a Sako Quad, a 12 gauge and a .308 (See what they made do?), so the OP's point is spot on here. As is the point of English gentleman being able to use moderators and have FAC's apply only to the 12ftlb guns. I would like to see that here also, considering its also perfectly legal in NZ as well to use a moderator.
              Need to get the whole 'pew pew' Hollywood 'silence'r image out of peoples heads, and inform them that they just don't work like in the movies.
              Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=19624
                I have to put my 2c worth of agreement in on this.

This is a great idea for the air gun community. I recall when the GCA knobs were out peddling their wares against the proposed de-classifying of air rifles in NSW some years ago, spouting that they 'can kill an elephant' or 'bring down a jetliner' or some crap. Okay, there are some very rare mega high powered ones, and not so rare ones like the Rogue, but they were painting your .177 Norinco as bloody AR15.

FWIW, I am one of those people who jumped through the hoops to get my mits on a fit for purpose air rifle. I was set on a nice $400 break barrel Gamo.
                By the time I bought a $400 safe, did a $450 'Firearm Safety Course' , got a $20 permit to hunt on Crown land, went to officeworks to print out photos of my safe and a tank of fuel driving all over the place, I wasn't settling on some .177 Break Barrel.

Now I own an FX airgun, with another on order, a Sako Quad, a 12 gauge and a .308 (See what they made do?), so the OP's point is spot on here. As is the point of English gentleman being able to use moderators and have FAC's apply only to the 12ftlb guns. I would like to see that here also, considering its also perfectly legal in NZ as well to use a moderator.
                Need to get the whole 'pew pew' Hollywood 'silence'r image out of peoples heads, and inform them that they just don't work like in the movies.
                Hi....

This is what I am talking about.

I am NOT denying anyone the responsibility and right of buying and owning a correctly registered fire arm. All I am saying is that people want to, if you excuse the analogy, to do is buy a hammer and end up with a nail gun.

Please, if you agree, send off a letter, make a phone call, pop in the office of/to your local MP. The insanity surrounding air rifles has to stop.

Paul

Just a question for those with more knowledge on this subject than I....
              Would re-classifying sub 12FPE air rifles mean that "air-soft" rifles would become legal?
              What is the FPE figure on an air-soft gun?

Col

Comment

• Druid 66
                Druid66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Big_Col" post=19720
                Just a question for those with more knowledge on this subject than I....
                Would re-classifying sub 12FPE air rifles mean that "air-soft" rifles would become legal?
                What is the FPE figure on an air-soft gun?

Col
                Good question Which means "I don`t know" :P but I do know that in the UK at least any `Firearm` that produces less than 1 FPE is`nt actually classified as a Firearm at all (if that makes sense )

A 12 FPE `Not Specially Dangerous` limit makes sense here as it would set us in line with all the other countries on the World FT circuits and other important shooting competitions.

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi...

I have no idea. You see one of the points of many of the air soft I have seen is that they have been "realistic"...meaning an Uzi looks like an Uzi...indeeed I just saw air gun reporter making an air soft P08 pistol look real and aged.

On a personal note, becuase of the realism I would have to say I hope not. Sorry. Perhaps not what you wanted to hear. Its not a debate I would like to get into. It can be very emotional.

Paul

Did any of you get this from the Shooters and fishers Party

Dear Shooters, Hunters, Collectors and the Firearms Industry

The Police Minister officially announced on Tuesday last week that Deloitte was conducting a review of the Firearms Registry, and that stakeholders would have an opportunity to have an input into the review. There is now a way for individuals to have their say on the Registry, by way of the Government’s “Have your say” website at http://www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/consultations/nsw-firearms-registry/?date=2013-11-01
              There is a questionnaire here that you can complete, and/or you can make a more detailed submission by email to [email protected] The Police Ministry presumably passes these submissions onto Deloitte. Deloitte are contacting the major associations directly to interview them. The terms of reference for this review are found here: http://www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/assets/premier-and-cabinet/cal-gray/NSW-Firearm-Registry-Terms-of-Reference.pdf

Over to you….

I filled in the questionnaire and added this to the comments box -

As is now the case in most other first world countries the law should be changed so that Low- Powered Air-Rifles (ie Sub-12FPE only) are no longer classified as `Firearms` - This smart change in the law would help cut down on Police time spent registering relatively benign rifles and more-over actively encourage Law-Abiding-Firearm-Owners to purchase `not specially dangerous` equipment as opposed to the current default of giving them no real good reason against buying a Higher Powered Firearm instead.

Comment

Welcome Dave - As an ex-pat from Wales I can tell you you are in for a BIG shock regarding the attitude surrounding ALL types firearms over here - Unfortunately as far the authorities are concerned commonsense was banged up in 1996 and the key was thrown well away - On top of that the now dis-armed population has been completely brainwashed by the state controlled media whom make it their business to ensure paranoia reigns supreme - A very sorry state of affairs indeed

Saying that it`s still a lot better than living in that cold wet dump so sell all your guns and get over here quick - You gotta make some sacrifices mate :P

Comment

Does anyone want to post their letter up here so it gives us all something to go off?
                  Cheers, Andrew

Comment

Hi Dave

I hope that really enjoy your last English summer before coming down here and enjoying the much warmer Australian summer. And also welcome to the forum

The archaic system we have here regarding the rights and responsibilities of owning fire arms will be an eye opener and I am sure at one time or another you will want to write and tell your friends of how you have to pay large amounts of money and put in considerable time only to find out you cannot get here what you can buy over the counter in England. I am not just talking about the guns either. I am talking about no moderaters at all ( some do not even like the word silencer ). In SA you cannot even buy pellets without producing a fire arms license. Your home has to be open for inspections of your firearms, though you might get warning the police are coming, but you may not. One pellet not locked up may and can cause you to loose all your firearms. The law is the law.

As for idiots misusing fire arms. I am not silly enough to discuss this subject on here...but it happens, believe me...however I think you are going to get that anywhere you go. Always a bad apple somewhere..isnt there?

Learn the name Martin Bryant. His actions spoilt it for all.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X