Popular & Accurate Loads for REM 221 Fireball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular & Accurate Loads for REM 221 Fireball

Couldn't see a load for the 221 so I guess if I don't who will. Popular may be a stretch.

Rifle is a Howa Mini Action (223 rechambered*) 20" heavy barrel
    Lapa Brass - factory 221 (did try resizing some 222 to 221 with mixed results. The 30 out of 100 I still use shoot well)
    Small Rifle Primer, (Federal Or CCI)
    ADI 2205 13.7 Gr (13.9 Gr works as well)
    Hornady 55Gr soft nose Bulk Pack Projectile

This load is used almost always at night spotlighting from ute for wallaby. It is extremally effective & accurate. Normal range would be 60 to 100 m but is still very effective out in the twilight zone of the headlights 150 to 200 m if needed. As for noise it's louder than a 22-250 with Trail Boss, but quieter than one at full load or a 223. In short, it's still loud.

* The standard Mag has not been moded at all. I'm not a fan of the mag in general, but it feeds the 221 cartridges well 98% of the time or near 100% if you put 8 rounds in the mag not 10. A buffer in the front of the mag to stop cartridges moving forward would help, but load 8 and it's hardly worth the efforted.
    How to make a small fortune out of farming?
    Start with a large one!

Thanks 'Ando'.

Comment

Group size at 100 Ando? and don't answer with minute of wallaby.

Comment

• Anderson
        Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL Well it is.

Originally posted by magoo View Post
      Group size at 100 Ando? and don't answer with minute of wallaby.
      MOA wallaby head bit smaller target

Comment

Group size is a 10mm or so for a pair. 27/07/20 post on 221 Rem Fireball Do I give up before I start. thread

I did sight my rifles in the other day. The grass was too long, so I tried the new ute. Well it's not the old one & I couldn't get comfy. So not a good group to be had out of the lot. Windy as well. I did 478 shooting trips in the old girl, (6092 wallaby) plus all the farm work so I guess that is why the new one is different. I will get a group at 200m, I know you have asked before. But that was the first time I fire the new barrel on the 22-250 the other day 6 months after it came back.
        How to make a small fortune out of farming?
        Start with a large one!

Comment

Working...
        X