Popular and Accurate loads for the common 22-250.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular and Accurate loads for the common 22-250.

"what is a good load in the common 22-250 Rifle Cartridge?"

So if you good folk out there don't mind sharing, could you please post the loads that have worked well for you, in your equipment, in regards to reliability, accuracy, and terminal performance.

The 22-250 is a popular cartridge and the more loads that work, we can share, the better.
    Could you please also share the following data;

1) Rifle type and model etc, (and barrel twist if you know it)
    2) case,
    3) primer,
    4) powder (+ amount),
    5) projectile.
    6) cartridge-over-all-length (or to the lands),
    7) estimated or known velocity
    8 ) Bullet performance (accuracy)
    9) a short note of 1 or 2 sentences about its terminal (hunting) performance, if applicable.

Please keep your posts brief, and factual.

note; What may be safe in one firearm may not be safe in another.
    safe shooting.

One of my pet loads.

Rifle = Howa stainless varmint (1 in 14 twist rate) 24" barrel.
    Hornady cases.
    Federal match LR primer.
    Powder = ADI, "BM2", @ 34.5gr.
    Nosler Ballistic Tip, 50gr.
    COAL = 65mm. (feeds well from mags etc.)
    velocity = 3700fps (measured)
    Accuracy = reliably shoots well under 1/2 moa (less than 1/2" group) @ 100, yet still holds under 1moa out to 500+m, in good conditions.
    terminal = great hunting and varmint bullet, as it explodes well, yet retains its thicker base for penetration and bones etc.

left group @ 100m = 0.3".................................................. ................................right group @ 300m = 1.1"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	howa250100m34.5grbm2fedprimerhornadycase50grb-tipcoal65mm-Copy.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	234622 Click image for larger version

Name:	photoh.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	234623

Comment

No for everyone

Rifle = Remington SPS - Varmint (1 in 14 twist rate) 26" barrel.
      Remington cases.
      Federal LR primer.
      Powder = Trail Boss 13 gr.
      Hornady 55gr SP
      COAL = Can't remember, but way longer than spec as projectile has to be on or very close to the lands to make the load accurate
      velocity = 2000 (not measured)
      Accuracy = Never benched, but have 2000 plus wallaby in the bag with this load. Flat to 120, still hits hard at 150. Used almost entirely spotlighting.

2020 Update. Still Using the above load. But have found 13.3gr is the sweet spot for my work. Up to 5500 wallaby
      Last edited by Anderson; 30-03-2020, 08:11 PM.
      How to make a small fortune out of farming?
      Start with a large one!

Comment

• Aushunter
        Aushunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done a fair bit of reloading for the .22-250 but I must admit I have never tried Trail boss, kudos to you Anderson for giving it a go & it obviously works for you
        It does also show the versatility of reloading & how you can have one rifle but spec it out for several different purposes!

My rifle is also a Remington SPS Varmint.
        Devcon bedded stock & modified standard trigger.
        It was my first rifle purchase since taking the sport back up again since I had let it go due to those other paths that life sometimes takes.

Load #1 & the my favourite load
        1) Rifle- Remington SPS Varmint 1:14 twist
        3) primer- Federal 210
        4) powder- 37gr Winchester 760
        5) projectile- Nosler 55gr ballistic tip
        6) cartridge-over-all-length base to ogive 2.128 inches
        7) estimated or known velocity- 3414 fps
        8 ) Bullet performance (accuracy)

Name:	W760_2016-01-04.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	234749

5 shot group.

9) a short note of 1 or 2 sentences about its terminal (hunting) performance, if applicable-

The thing I love about the 250 is just how flat this thing shoots!
        I know that from my 100mtr zero to 200mtrs there is only a 1 to 2 inch drop
        Its a pretty devastating round to say the least

I will try to post my other loads one at a time over the next few days!

• Anderson
        Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Anderson" post=227990
        No for everyone

Remington cases.
        Federal LR primer.
        Powder = Trail Boss 13 gr.
        Hornady 55gr SP
        COAL = Can't remember, but way longer than spec as projectile has to be on or very close to the lands to make the load accurate
        velocity = 2000 (not measured)
        Accuracy = Never benched, but have 2000 plus wallaby in the bag with this load. Flat to 120, still hits hard at 150. Used almost entirely spotlighting.
        Just an update
        Brought some new brass (Hornady, 15 reloads out of the Rem's) the necks seemed tight so I tried the new brass with the above load without Lee Factory Crimp.
        Didn't work well, inconsistent. Drove back to the house tonight, crimped the lot, set off again & totally different sound, from the muzzle blast & the projectile flight, with a lot more energy visible when it hits. I also took off the 3 clicks of adjustment up I had added. I tried 125 without the crimp, over the past 3 weeks, as it was the crimp area that went on the old cases. No use having good cases & nothing in the back of the ute. Guess it needs that bit of resistance to build up pressure.

**************NOTE THIS IS FOR THE IMPROVED VERSION**************************
      my load for my 22-250AI
      Rifle- Ruger 77 MK2 target barrel Krieger 1-9
      projectile- Hornady VMAX 55gn
      powder- 43.8gn of 2209
      primer- Federal GM210
      case- Remington
      speed- 3773fps
      O.A.L.-62.14mm base to tip of projectile
      5 shot group was 10.83mm X 2.75mm centre to centre

Name:	100mgroup.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	238807
      effect on rabbits is that it can take a few seconds for the last bit to come down
      I zero at 77m and comes back to zero around 233m hits a bet less than 1 inch high at 100m

Comment

• Bazooker
        Bazooker commented
        Editing a comment
        Anyone out there have a 22-250 with a 1:16" twist barrel?

Baz.

• grevo
        grevo commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by grevo" post=231850
        **************NOTE THIS IS FOR THE IMPROVED VERSION**************************
        my load for my 22-250AI
        projectile- Hornady VMAX 55gn
        powder- 43.8gn of 2209
        primer- Federal GM210
        case- Remington
        speed- 3773fps
        O.A.L.-62.14mm base to tip of projectile
        5 shot group was 10.83mm X 2.75mm centre to centre

effect on rabbits is that it can take a few seconds for the last bit to come down
        I zero at 77m and comes back to zero around 233m hits a bet less than 1 inch high at 100m
        ok this is how this load works on rabbits at about 70M
        SpoilerClick image for larger version

Name:	Rabbitfenceb.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	239252
        Attached Files

Load #1
      1) Rifle- Winchester Westerner 1:14 twist
      3) primer- Federal 210
      4) Powder- 38gr AR 2208
      5) Projectile- B&T Energetics 40gr Controlled expansion
      6) COL- 2.350"
      7) Velocity- 4000+fps
      Used for spotlighting and whistling up ferals, and point and shoot load with little drop.

Load #2
      3) primer- Federal 210
      4) Powder- 36.2gr AR 2208
      5) Projectile- Hornady Z-Max 50gr
      6) COL- 2.360"
      7) Velocity- 3700 fps
      Great load for spotlighting, hits hard enough with little drop.

Load #3
      3) primer- Federal 210
      4) Powder- 35gr AR 2208
      5) Projectile- Hornady SP 55gr
      6) COL- 2.390"
      7) Velocity- 3550 fps
      Load use for pigs and goats. Little slower and tougher projectile.

Comment

Baz,
        Is that what you've got?
        A 1:16 twist 22-250 ?

Comment

• Bazooker
          Bazooker commented
          Editing a comment
          I do indeed; a BSA sporter on an M1917 action with a BSA barrel stamped .22LR, bought it unseen off the net for the action. When I cleaned it up, I didn't have the heart to tear it to pieces.

The bore slugs at .224" and yep it's 1:16", possibly put together as a kind of poor man's Swift

Haven't done much with it, played around with some TB loads earlier on, probably won't stabilise more than a 55gr flat base soft point beyond 3600 fps according to the Speer people.

Baz.

Hornady cases.
        Federal LR primer.
        Powder = AR2209 - 39gr.
        55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
        COAL = Just off the lands, way longer than spec
        velocity - per. ADI hand book 3490
        Accuracy =Appears to be very good. I change between TB & 09 loads as required.
        Due to the wet conditions I needed something to reach into the wet paddocks, well into the twilight zone of the headlights and past the reach of my usual Trail Boss load. Only used the ballistic tips so I can see the different loads, see no reason why this wouldn't work with the Hornady 55gr SP. I can now say I have used the 22-250 with a full load. Only took about 2 years.
        How to make a small fortune out of farming?
        Start with a large one!

Comment

well finerly got to do some testing with the new barrel in my 22-250AI i wont bother with group size due to me keeping on pulling shots think a brused rib was the fault makes shooting prone not so easy.
          data from the old barrel:
          22-250AI
          projectile- Hornady VMAX 55gn coated in HBN
          powder- 43.8gn of 2209
          primer- Federal GM210
          case- Remington
          speed- 3773fps

now the same load from the new pac-nor polygonal rifled barre that is 28 inches long also a 1-9 twist
          gave a average speed of 4009fps
          extreme spread of 16
          didnt think that the speed would go up that much

Comment

ok I now have a 28" 1-9 twist pac-nor barrel with polygonal rifling fitted and with my old load above the avg speed went up to 4009fps and I have found that with a 1-9 twist that the 55gr V-MAX pills just cant handle that speed and pop too often and have now gone to a load of:

22-250AI
            projectile-Nosler BT 55gn coated in HBN
            powder- 43.4gn of 2209
            primer- Federal GM210
            case- Lapua
            speed- 3949fps
            extreme spread of 37fps over 5 shots
            5 shot group was 18.93mmX8.85mm would of been 7.6mmX8.85mm if I hadn't pulled the first shot of that group abit
            will be interesting to see how they do on critters as they have a bit thicker jacket than the Vmax but if the vmax may not make it to said critter whats the point

Name:	nosler.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	258696

Comment

• Send-it
              Send-it commented
              Editing a comment
              anyone here using Hornady 53gr vmax / got a good load for it? (in the 22-250).
              curious to try some, as an all rounder.

Using a zmax in my 22-250.

Hit a young boar on the run mid shoulder the other weekend. Dropped instantly

Less expansion in the zmax however.

Comment

Tikka T3 Hunter stainless with 1 in 14 twist, 22.441" barrel.
              Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 scope with BDC reticle, mounted on Warne High mounts.
              Norma brass once fired, FLS. Wilson bushing die .245" neck sizing bush.
              Winchester large rifle primers.
              55 grain Sierra Game King, Super Roo projectiles. $155.00 /1000.
              COAL 2.37", 30 thou off the lands.
              Tried 34.0 to 35.5 grains in .5 grain steps with ADI BM8208 $113.00 for a kg bottle, 35.5 grains gave av. 3664fps, 22mm 5 shot spread. 35.8 gn started to show pressure. 35.8 gn is max listed load. 3768fps ADI velocity with 35.8 grains, 90fps with 24" barrel greater than mine. 35.5 grains would be my load for this combination. 26cents powder per load.

Tried ADI BM2 $113 for a kg bottle, 33.1 (3487fps) to 41.2 grains(3597fps) in .3 grain steps, with best at 18mm spread. 41.2 gn started to show pressure, but not major, way, way above recommended max. load of 33/34 grains too! Way less velocity than Nick Harvey (3700fps at 34 grains), ADI (3650fps at 33grains) listed with 24"barrels. Dud batch of powder? An inch and a half less of barrel length can't be that significant? 100fps faster than mine even at 41.2grains. Probably load at 33.6 grains for 3507fps for this combination. 24.6 cents a load.
              Tried ADI AR2208$332 for a 4 kg bottle, 35.5(3518fps) to 36.5grains (3627) in .3 grain steps. Significant pressure spike at 36.5 grains, which is max. load. 19mm 5 shot spread at 35.8 grains. 43fps average slower than ADI site with 24" barrel. 35.8 grains of ADI AR2208 and 34 grains of ADI AR 2206 used to be my standard loads for this weight proj. in other rifles for over 30 years. I would probably load at 35.8 grains for 3570fps for this combination. 19 cents a load. The cheapest.
              I had thought that the BM8208 would be the best to use, but CFE223 ended up being a winner.

Best accuracy and least recoil felt with 39.0 grains Hodgdon CFE223 powder. Not an easy powder to find here in any quantity. $65.00 for a pound. 36 cents a load. The most expensive.
              Old Lyman 55 powder measure delivered spot on with this slick flowing ball powder. Not once did I have to use the trickler when checking loads with the Hornady Pacific powder scale.
              Elevation 500 metres ASL., Temp. 34 C. Humidity 65%. Bit muggy for here.
              Interestingly, 38.5 grains of the same powder only gave 3630 fps, 30 fps variation and way less accuracy, 22mm spread with 5 rounds. 38.0 grains 3540fps with 36 fps spread, 37.5 grains 3492 fps. 39.2 grains, which is Hodgdons listed max. load started to show primer cratering and minor primer flattening pressure signs, so pulled out after 2 rounds fired.
              Basic Caldwell Chrony on the 39 grain load gave 3696-3721 fps at 15 ft from muzzle, averaged 3709 fps over 10 rounds. Really impressed with the narrow velocity spread. First time loading with the new Wilson Bushing die. Fair old muzzle blast though, kept blowing the shades off the chrony at 10 feet where I normally place it, so had to put it further back.
              Best accuracy at 100m was a 15 mm spread from first group of 5 rounds, with a fluky, hot, gusty crosswind up the gully about 10-15 km/hr at times. Second group fired with a hot barrel not quite as good. No pic to show as used the same target all afternoon after and was a mass of pulp. Spent a lot of time waiting for the barrel to cool between strings, test firing other loads and sighting in scopes of other calibre rifles to kill the time.

Comment

• Aushunter
                Aushunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats some test report there Curramore!

Do you have any pics to go with it?

• Curramore
                Curramore commented
                Editing a comment
                Months later, still experimenting with these loads, I have found another "node" with the Hodgdon CFE223 powder with the 55 grain Sierra GK Super roo pill at 37.3 grains in this rifle. A tad slower than the 39.0 grain load, but a smidgeon more accuracy. On warm summer nights I was getting a few pressure signs with the 39.0 grain load and was prompted by a primer movement from a warn primer pocket in 10 times reloaded brass to lighten the pressures. Now I have another sweet load, I find that this powder is going to be no more in Oz. Winchester Australia is no longer importing it. Bugger.

That sucks, I have a love-hate relationship with load development.

Just bought 3 packs of expensive pills and 2 slabs of target shotty ammo, not much change from $500 LOL.

I have sped up a few cals and they show a good result at 200 with less drop but still have to shoot them through the chrono to do the drop sheets.

First range visit in 3 weeks yesterday, but took a mate for a first time shoot so didn't even shoot many groups myself.
              Was good though and he had a try at 200 as well as starting with a .22 and working up through the cals.

Did put a nice 1/2 MOA group on the 200 targets with the .223 and those Super roos.
              Can't fault them and just cracked the 5th box.

Comment

Savage Axis 22/250 Heavy barrel.1 in 12 twist. Hornady Z max 50gn (havent seen these advertised for a while now) OAL 2.468 inches. Lapua brass. CCI standard LR primers. ADI BR2 powder Around 3800fps Accurate load ...will produce 1/2 inch at 100 yards in calm conditions. Good on foxes.wild cats etc.out to 400 yards under calm conditions....not so good on rabbits if your after the meat...maybe the back legs if your lucky.

Comment

Hi All,

Here's my 22-250 load

1) Tikka T3X Super Varmint, factory heavy barrel, 1-14
                  2) Lapua cases. Body size and collet neck size each time.
                  3) CCI BR2 primers,
                  4) 2208 35.4
                  5) 55 GN Berger Flat Base Target .
                  6) Base to tip - 63mm ( ~approx. 30 thou off lands )
                  7) around 3650, off a borrowed MagnetoSpeed at the range for a few shots when I was load developing.
                  8 ) 5 shots groups mostly go into 0.4 to 0.6 moa at 200 Yards, ... I occasionally fluke a tighter one around 0.3 moa.
                  9 ) Have not used for hunting. the above is very consistent. I shoot this over a Caldwell BR rest and rear bag.

Cheers,
                  Spaz

Comment

Working...
                  X