Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCBS Charge Master Vs Hornady lock N' Load Autocharge

Hi guys,

Been reloading with a basic setup for awhile now and I am making alot of ammo so decided I want to get one of these two products.

What are everyone's experiences with them? The Hornady is cheaper by about $100; is the RCBS worth the extra cash? Do both of these hold calibration and dispense the right amount of powder?

Thanks for the advice guys. Michael

I use a Hornady. I had to return the first one after a few weeks as it didn't calibrate. The replacement has been working fine for around six months and I use it to reload a lot of rounds. It stays consistant, just have to be careful of wind. The only thing I don't like about it is the overthrows. I get a fair few of them and have tried to fix it, having said that it still a lot quicker than throwing a load that is close and then trickling to top up each load. I have not used a RCBS thrower.

Comment

I use the RCBS but to be honest nothing beat the mechanical scales

Gravity doesn't change but these electronic equipment can falter .... mine not had a issue however i know of people that have had to send both types of units back : )

Comment

My RCBS Chargemaster 1500 has been brilliant so far touch wood. No complaints from me - it just makes the whole reloading process that much nicer to do. Haven't used a Hornady version but no doubt just as good. You can also change the settings in the RCBS version if that's your thing, not sure about the Hornady version.

Cheers
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Varminator" post=7435
          My RCBS Chargemaster 1500 has been brilliant so far touch wood. No complaints from me - it just makes the whole reloading process that much nicer to do. Haven't used a Hornady version but no doubt just as good. You can also change the settings in the RCBS version if that's your thing, not sure about the Hornady version.

Cheers
          Ditto........couldn't be happier. It's been at least two years since I've done it any other way.

Can't comment on the Hornady, never used one.

Ive bought a RCBS Chargemaster 1500, granted haven't used it yet to give useful feedback however going by others reviews they should be good. Pioneershooting have them pretty cheap if you are looking at closing the price gap to the Hornady.
        Happy shooting.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the RCBS Charge Master and it's pretty good actually I wouldn't live without it but I just helped a mate to set up for reloading and he got the new Lyman Gen 6 Powder Dispenser and it's a real good unit. Don't know if it will last as long as the Charge Master but I know the touch pad is nice and it seems to throw charges for the 223 and 308 a little faster than my CM. I also like that's it's not big and bulky like the CM and costs around a couple of hundred $$$ less. When my CM shits itself (again) I will probably be investing in the Lyman Gen 6 unit.

I have the Hornady autocharge, but if I was to buy again id buy the Lyman gen 6 for $345
        Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
        Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
        Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
        Ruger American .22wmr
        BSA SuperSport XL .22
        Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
        Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

I've been using my chargemaster for 5 or 6 years and have not had a problem. I think its the best thing since sliced bread.
          I have mucked about with the settings so that it accurately and quickly throws loads from as small as 3gr to over 45gr.
          I will post my settings when I get a chance, might save others some time and frustration.
          IMO you won't go wrong with the chargemaster.
          Cheers.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Another vote for the CM combo!

At the last Bananacoast Bench rest centerfire championships I think there were about 5 shooters using them, these guys are dead set sticklers for precision and accuracy that's enough for me. I have been using mine (RCBS) for about 6 months and it is as accurate as can be, once is a while you'll get a under or over but it tells you. Remember to keep either out of the wind though as it will effect the scales reading just like mechanical scales.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Guys, much the same as the OP I'm looking at either of these products, leaning towards the RCBS though.

I notice that they are much cheaper in the US, does anyone have experience buying these from the states? I remember reading about a voltage issue that needed an adaptor on the old forum?

Cheers, any help is much appreciated.

I used Ebay to buy my Hornady lock N' Load Autocharge for $255 Au Delivered
          And it is great works well
          Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
          Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
          Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
          Ruger American .22wmr
          BSA SuperSport XL .22
          Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
          Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            A couple of mates use the RCBS Chargemaster and after this thread was started I thought I would borrow a set and compare to the old fashion beam scales. I loaded 300 22-250 rounds using Win 760 weighing every fifth throw on the beam scale. The results were very good, but Win 760 powder is very fine and meters well .

I then went on to ADI 2208 which I load the most, I was not happy with the results. 2208 is pretty coarse and did not meter well. About every third or fourth would over charge from 0.1 - 0.3 grains according to the charge master, I then confirmed this on the beam scale. It then became slower to remove a few granules before dumping in the case . The charge master weighed the charge spot on it was just the metering aspect. After 50 loads I did the next 100 loads using the beam scale.

I then thought I would try my other mates RCBS which resulted in the same outcome. If you are metering fine powder not an issue. If you use coarse powder it will be an issue I believe. Not sure if any other shooters out there have established a similar issue with the metering aspect?

i'm not a fan but i believe they have their place

before you buy you should read this article on 6mmbr

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

also i read here that someone said they saw benchrest shooters using them and i've heard this too but you must understand that a benchrest rifle is tuned so well that a load variation of .1gr may not affect group size at all and 90% of them simply throw their charges without weighing (granted they use high quality throwers such as the harrell and even those can throw the odd charge .2 or .3 over or under

just for your interest have a look at my vid and see how quick a well set up thrower and powder trickler with beam scales can be, in fact i don't believe there is a massive advantage using dispensing scales

steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5FvttmmOc&feature=player_detailpage#t=62

Comment

• Varminator
            Varminator commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 6602steven" post=20451
            i'm not a fan but i believe they have their place

before you buy you should read this article on 6mmbr

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

also i read here that someone said they saw benchrest shooters using them and i've heard this too but you must understand that a benchrest rifle is tuned so well that a load variation of .1gr may not affect group size at all and 90% of them simply throw their charges without weighing (granted they use high quality throwers such as the harrell and even those can throw the odd charge .2 or .3 over or under

just for your interest have a look at my vid and see how quick a well set up thrower and powder trickler with beam scales can be, in fact i don't believe there is a massive advantage using dispensing scales

steve
            G'day Steve,

The thing I think the Electronic Scales are better at is allowing you to do a load and whilst the next load is being dispensed you can seat the projectile in the previous load, just speeds up the whole process and makes it automated to some degree.

Varminator, thanks for the Maccas straw tip, I can see how that should work better .

Cheers.

Comment

Ended up going with the RCBS Chargemaster and so far i LOVE IT.

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

I had the exact same dilemma the other week. However in the end I decided to go the charge master. Only loaded up about 100 rounds so far but so far so good. Produced some excellent groups today down at the range.

Comment

Working...
              X