Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projectile or (bullet if you wish) and powder suggstions for 7mm Rem Mag

Hello Gents,
    I am looking some suggestions for a starting point for a paper punching/gong ringing load for a 7mm Rem mag.
    I will be starting at 300yds and working my way out as my shooting (hopefully) improves.
    I have 2213, 2209, 2217 on hand. I would prefer to stay with ADI powders if possible.
    I have Federal 215 magnum primers and Federal brass. I tried to get some Nosler or Norma brass
    but had no joy at Lgs so I settled for Federal to start with.

I have some Berger 168gr Classic Hunters but was looking at maybe A-max or Sierra?
    I don't have vld seating stems. If Vlds are the way to go I can get a Vld seating die.

Which powders have you had work well with which weight projectiles?
    Is the 160 ish grain projectile a good choice or should I go heavier?

Rifle is a Tikka Varmint SS with set trigger in Gunworx stock with an SIII 8-32 scope and 20 moa rail.

Thanks
    bw

With my limited knowledge of the 7mm RM I'd have thought 2217 would be a good starting point.

162g SSTs or any of the low drag 168g bullets would be ok I would have thought. 2217 would be good for those one would think.

Sorry, this is mostly lay-person stuff from me but sounds like you are on the right track.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      guessing its a 9.5 twist? I think that may rule you out of the 180gr Berger Hybrids (someone may correct me on that), but that's what i'd prefer. For anything over 165gr I would try 2225 first, but that's just me, Have used it very successfully in a lot of mags. For paper punching and gonging BC is basically king, consistency and price also come into it naturally.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I had good results with Ar2225 & 140gr NBT, accuracy as good as any of the other ADI powders but at higher velocity.
      If you are looking at going out to long distance then something around 160 or heavier is probably the go. If your only looking at 500 or so then I wouldn't get to hung up on BC just go with what ever weight is most accurate.

Yep the guys above are onto it....2225 is the powder you want. The Tikka will have a 1-9.5 twist rate and most likely wont shoot the 180 Bergers ( I know of 1 tikka that does most don't ) so that will leave you shooting the 168's you've got or looking else where. I use the 162 AMAX as a hunting bullet and it's bloody awesome but Hornady have suspended production of this bullet for the time being in the US to concentrate on keeping up supply of there more popular bullets , so they'll be hard to get but some stores still have them.... I got the last in Brisbane....

I now run almost 74 grains of 2225 and get almost 3100fps using the 162's and there very accurate my old load was 73grains for this..

but i kept playing and the new load is more accurate and a bit faster so very happy . As stated above BC is your friend... Hunting or Target shooting it doesn't matter so look for a High BC bullet. The new Nosler long range projectiles look to be very good also but are as scarce as hens teeth ( again due to extreme US demand ) but if you can sorce some the 175 grainers just might work in a 1-9.5. if not try the 168 nosler ???

FT

Comment

• Bullwinkle
      Bullwinkle commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shooting there Ft.
      Hope the A-maxs don't run out too soon :lol:
      Can't wait to shoot my new toy.

cheers

bw

• speerchucker
      speerchucker commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by findingtime" post=7521
      Yep the guys above are onto it....2225 is the powder you want. The Tikka will have a 1-9.5 twist rate and most likely wont shoot the 180 Bergers ( I know of 1 tikka that does most don't ) so that will leave you shooting the 168's you've got or looking else where. I use the 162 AMAX as a hunting bullet and it's bloody awesome but Hornady have suspended production of this bullet for the time being in the US to concentrate on keeping up supply of there more popular bullets , so they'll be hard to get but some stores still have them.... I got the last in Brisbane....

I now run almost 74 grains of 2225 and get almost 3100fps using the 162's and there very accurate my old load was 73grains for this..

but i kept playing and the new load is more accurate and a bit faster so very happy . As stated above BC is your friend... Hunting or Target shooting it doesn't matter so look for a High BC bullet. The new Nosler long range projectiles look to be very good also but are as scarce as hens teeth ( again due to extreme US demand ) but if you can sorce some the 175 grainers just might work in a 1-9.5. if not try the 168 nosler ???

FT
      FT what is the rifle

Thanks everyone.
    Had no luck with A-max as yet but I will keep looking.
    Looks like I will grab some 2225 next trip to Lgs.
    There are some 162 SST on the way.
    Might try and find some Hornady 162 HPBT. Same bc as A-max.

This will get me started.

Cheers
    bw

Comment

Working...
    X