Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 308 case mystery

Hi guys..
    I recently started reloading using the lee breech lock press and pacesetter die's.
    I've done about 100 rounds so far and no problems except for one, it was a once shot fed case which i fully re sized and trimmed using zip trim and case length gauge, chamfered De burred and all that, checked the length and it was fine.
    So i primed loaded powder, projectile, measured and still good AOL. I then tried to chamber the round and right at the end of the bolt closure and wouldn't close down?? so i pulled the bullet re measured, re sized, re trimmed, and chambered the case to see if it was an AOL issue but same problem without the projectile..
    To me the case seemed/ looked fine no bulges, good measurements...
    I figured the case was cactus so i turfed it but im just curious if anyone has any suggestions for the cause? maybe something i missed?
    Cheers.
    P.S
    the rifle is a vanguard S2

If you still have the case, have a look for any burrs or sharp edges that the extractor may be getting caught on. Other than that I have no idea.

Comment

cheers mate, ill have a look and let u know how i go...

Comment

Could be a few things, but to me it sounds more like a neck issue as I've had similar myself in the past and it was a the neck

Comment

I'll just pick you up on AOL. Its OAL, Over All Length.

If your certain that the case dimensions and COAL was the same as the others, maybe your primer wasn't seated in properly. If it was slightly proud of the base, you'de have trouble closing the bolt.

Did you check that?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I know, they're typo's

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by DenisA" post=6897
            I'll just pick you up on AOL. Its OAL, Over All Length.

If your certain that the case dimensions and COAL was the same as the others, maybe your primer wasn't seated in properly. If it was slightly proud of the base, you'de have trouble closing the bolt.

Did you check that?
            Primer is seated flush..

G'day Ninja had a similar problem with 308 fed case. After finding hard to close the bolt had a good look at it and there was a ring around the base , seemed to be from when it was formed and was even a firm fit in the shell holder. Being we're it was there was not chance of the FL die being able to correct this. If the rest of your rounds are clambering well and you've resized it again I believe you may have a similar problem
          Whitey

Comment

• sirus17
            sirus17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes you can just get a bad case as well

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Y-T" post=6965
            G'day Ninja had a similar problem with 308 fed case. After finding hard to close the bolt had a good look at it and there was a ring around the base , seemed to be from when it was formed and was even a firm fit in the shell holder. Being we're it was there was not chance of the FL die being able to correct this. If the rest of your rounds are clambering well and you've resized it again I believe you may have a similar problem
            Whitey
            Cheers mate, ill fine tooth comb the case again and see what I come up with..

Very strange indeed. After all, it came out of the chamber, so it should go back in. I am surprised you needed to FLS after only one shot. Eagerly await the solution

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I would do some comparison measurement with a Micrometre or a Digital Vern.. . You could get a factory round and measure then one of your reloads that you know fit and then measure you stuck one. See what, Accurate measurements do not lie. Take out your bolt and check case. It wont be a mystery just a solution that's yet to be found. Pls lets us know what you discover, all the best.
        Working...
        X