AP50N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP50N

Has anyone noticed a difference in the power of this powder. I have been loading 4.2 grains of this powder in .357 mag. cases with 160gn lead projectiles for over 10 years. Up until now I have used a 6" Ruger GP100. I now have a 4" Ruger GP100. Now using 4.2 gns is very close to shop bought magnum. To get back to what I have been used to I have to drop it down to 3.6 gns. AM I MISSING SOMETHING OR HAS THE POWDER CHANGED. Mike.

FWIW I use up to 5.0 gr of AP50 for 357 maggie, and have done for several years, can't say Ive noticed any change
    If guns cause crime, then all mine are faulty - Ted Nugent

Comment

I use AP50N for 9mm and .38. over the last several years. I haven't noticed a difference. Did you change your brand of primers ?

Comment

I'm just trying to work out a load now actually for my Springfield XDm 5.25 in 9mm. But there seems to be a broad range of Min & Max loads.

I'm using AP50N with Nosler JHP 125gr CCI Primers and a seating depth of 1.1004" (which I've made some dummy rounds up and they cycle fine)

Nick Harvey's manual only has Win231 load data and ADI says it's comparable to AP50N. Anyway ADI's 9mm chart says a Min load of 2.5gr and Max of 3.2gr. Yet

Nick H's Manual using Win231 start at 4.2 and Max at 4.5gr.

Nosler's data for Win231 is 3.6>4.6gr

I'm thinking 3.2gr as a starting point?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike" post=4774
          Has anyone noticed a difference in the power of this powder. I have been loading 4.2 grains of this powder in .357 mag. cases with 160gn lead projectiles for over 10 years. Up until now I have used a 6" Ruger GP100. I now have a 4" Ruger GP100. Now using 4.2 gns is very close to shop bought magnum. To get back to what I have been used to I have to drop it down to 3.6 gns. AM I MISSING SOMETHING OR HAS THE POWDER CHANGED. Mike.
          Would suggest its the barrel length.

I have been using AP50 for past 6 years, in 9mm, Sp01, go through 2 lots 2kg per year, second one opened just in July this year, exact as one purchased in Feb 2013,
          3.8 grns ap50 by 125 conicle = 130pf.

Comment

• Robar
            Robar commented
            Editing a comment
            Same same for me Susan although power factor closer to 135 as you say barrel length. I always re-chrono when I buy a new tin just to be sure.
        Working...
        X