PPU 9MM Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPU 9MM Brass

I picked up a few hundred used 9mm cases a few weeks back.
    Last night I decided to de-prime them (I usually reload in stages).
    All going well and then a case wouldn't come out of the holder, looking from below the primer was torn through.
    I pushed it back with a screwdriver and got the case out, no problems. Continued on.
    Another case jam, this time the primer was still seated but "stretched" by the de-priming pin in the case.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, all of the cases except the PPU had no issues, but most of the PPU's jammed.
    I ended up sorting the brass and ditching the PPU.
    Anyone seem this before? The PPU primer (gold in colour) appeared to be very soft and either tore or stretched before letting go of the pocket.

Most likely cause is if the PPU was intended to be military brass and the primers are staked in. Sometimes the staking is even and all round, so it's hard to see.
    Also the primers may have been sealed by a clear coating which has "glued" them in. Both processes are fairly common in military brass to make them more water proof.

Regards
    Paul D

Comment

You're probably right mate, looking in the light of day I can see an almost invisible "ring" around the primer pocket, Doesn't look like a normal crimp, but I'm guessing a crimp it is.
      Oh well, didn't cost me anything so a hundred or so in the bin isn't too painful.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PPU is Highland ammunition isn't it?

Comment

• PWD
          PWD commented
          Editing a comment
          PPU comes from the Serbian company Prvi Partizan. Headstamps can be PPU or one that looks like "NNY" which is Cyrillic script for PPU.
          They make both military and recreational ammo and I've reloaded many 9mm without any problems.

Regards
          Paul D

Not sure what the original packaging was, when I got it was just a bag of cases, a mix of mostly FC and PPU.
        I thought I had reloaded PPU in the past, but not sure.
        100% of the FC cases de-primed OK, Most of the PPU (that I tried) didn't.

Comment

• dansedgli
          dansedgli commented
          Editing a comment
          Hoepfully its not mil crimped! I just bought 1000 loaded rounds with the intention of reloading the brass.

I did some googling and it looks like the standard primers are just hard to get out. They either bulge or pierce because they are too soft or they are sealed in with something.

Apparently once the original primers are out new ones go in and out without any drama.

Comment

Originally posted by galaxy" post=2843
          I picked up a few hundred used 9mm cases a few weeks back.
          Last night I decided to de-prime them (I usually reload in stages).
          All going well and then a case wouldn't come out of the holder, looking from below the primer was torn through.
          I pushed it back with a screwdriver and got the case out, no problems. Continued on.
          Another case jam, this time the primer was still seated but "stretched" by the de-priming pin in the case.
          Anyway to cut a long story short, all of the cases except the PPU had no issues, but most of the PPU's jammed.
          I ended up sorting the brass and ditching the PPU.
          Anyone seem this before? The PPU primer (gold in colour) appeared to be very soft and either tore or stretched before letting go of the pocket.
          ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

I had the same problem with my 9mm WCC Brass (Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL)
          Used a Dillon Deprimer with the same sticking as you have, case lube helps.
          I used a primer pocket swaging tool to allow the new primer to fit.

Have yet to reload my PPU once fired Brass.
          I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************

Comment

Working...
          X