Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneeky's Reloading

Hi all,

Just though i'd put up my reloads as I go. Some may find it interesting. Obviously these loads are only good for the rifles I am setting them up for and should never be used as a starting point in another rifle.

First up is a Savage 116 in 300 Win Mag. Must say that this thing is not fun to shoot. Feels very uncomfortable and its light which means in a cal such as this it does kick! Pretty happy though with the result.

Shot at 116 yards (strange I know but stepped it out, then shot and then measured properly lol!

The Load

Brass: Once fired full length resized Federal
    Primer: CCI 250 Magnum
    Pill: 168gr A-Max
    Powder: 2217 78gr
    COAL: 87.75mm (to fit mag)

Well done sneaky.

I can imagine that shooting groups from the bench is not something you look forward too with this rifle but it certainly seem capable of getting the job done.

I'm not that familiar with the 300's balistics, what kind of velocity would you be getting with the 168's? Just curious as I have 7mm 168's I'd be interested in trying in my .284. The .284 win case would only hold around 54gr of 2209 for around 2950fps

Thanks steve

edit: sorry i meant 162gr Amax

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with that result Sneak - well done.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=2439

I'm not that familiar with the 300's balistics, what kind of velocity would you be getting with the 168's? Just curious as I have 7mm 168's I'd be interested in trying in my .284. The .284 win case would only hold around 54gr of 2209 for around 2950fps

Thanks steve

edit: sorry i meant 162gr Amax
      Steve, I don't have a chrono at home (will do soon hopefully!!) so I'm not sure exactly what fps this load is achieving. According to adi data the max load of 84gr should deliver around 3100 fps. This load is actually below the recommended min but I was seeing some pressure signs early on in finding this combos max load. As you well know this could be for a few reasons, not sure which one. The 300 win mag burns a lot of powder for pretty poor velocities in the lighter weight pills such as the one I'm using here. I picked this pill for its rapid expansion. The guy who owns it shoots in western nsw and shoots nothing big so this pill should work well. I'm guessing the load is around 2900fps. Pretty poor when you consider I am getting 3100fps out of my 308 with 155gr pills! (30in barrel though) hopefully I'll have a chrono shortly and will be able to tell you for certain.

Oh. I can't believe you guys haven't chipped me about the rings on the projectiles from the seating stem!!! Should have the right stem tomorrow!!

Comment

Rings on the projectiles? I thought that was normal. I realise now this is the load thread you said you'd start.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Shotgun!" post=3410
        Rings on the projectiles? I thought that was normal. I realise now this is the load thread you said you'd start.
        haha.....the thread I was starting in regards to f-class is here

http://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum/reloading/490-savage-model-12-f-tr-loads-and-setup-in-a-week

Good shooting Sneeky, long time no talk!! I can't wait to get my .300wm back from my gunsmith and crack a few shots. How's that .270 of yours going?

Tried calling ya a fair while back...

Cheers..

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by butta9999" post=5124
        Good shooting Sneeky, long time no talk!! I can't wait to get my .300wm back from my gunsmith and crack a few shots. How's that .270 of yours going?

Tried calling ya a fair while back...

Cheers..
        oh sorry, have had a fair bit on this year....sorry try again!!!

Have done bugger all the WSM, haven't had a lot of time to do much plus I've pinched the scope off it for my F-Class rig and still trying to decide what to put on it lol.

Nothing wrong with that result Sneek. I use 75gr of 2213sc with 185gr Bergers in my 300wm sporter. I love it.

Comment

Working...
      X