• Show
Clear All

• New stock, New bullet, New load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130901_164123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	19095
    Hey guys I'm just sharing some new load development I'm doing for the .223 savage that has just been given a birthday with a boyds stock. I want to start shooting this rifle in the shorter distances in f-class. Seeing as it only has a 1:9 twist barrel on it and I am having trouble finding sierra 69grn projectiles, it's going to be in f-class open. Hence the reason why I have gone from the 69grn nosler to the 73grn berger bt target. On the first round of development it's showing some promising results. I'm using 2206h powder with br-4 primers in lapua brass. The best results so far have been 23.1grn with a .0200"jump. I have loaded some new ones at this same with a .0015 jump to see how they go. The noslers shot the best at this distance so we'll see how it goes for the bergers. The target shown was shot at 200m so I'm pretty happy with things so far, but I'm hoping for some really good results next week end when I get back to the range.

Nice even looking group.

Have not tried tht combination in my 1:9 CZ 527 but I would wonder if the CCI BR4's are a little hot for the small .223R Cartridge. I'd be tempted to try standard primers like CCI 400's and see if they tighten the group with a more even powder burn. Just a thought.

My own testing with a heavier bullet was with Berger 70gr VLD's using CCI 400's and around 23gr AR2208. Using ADI Cases for my first testing back then and around 24gr I needed to use a Drop Tube as they were pretty full. Thought I had some test targets but can't find them so I don't remember the grouping. I know they were pretty tight when conditions were right.

All the best with the development.

Comment

I was using the cci400 with the noslers but I though the br-4 might help tighten things up a bit with consistency. I am using 2206h as well which is a bit faster burn than the 2208. my barrel is 26" long, what is on the cz? I do have some 400's left over so i'll give them a go and compare the two. it would be nice if they helped, being nearly half the price. i'll try and some more pics up when I get some more time at the range.

Comment

Here are some Primer Test Burn comparisons....Link below.

Primer Flash Test Photos

I am always aware of over doing Primer Burn since my experiments with 22 Hornet and realising that normal Small Rifle Primers were too hot for the little cartridge and produced what is called "Bullet Jump" from double ignition spikes..ie the Primer ignites and the bullet moves, then the Powder ignites and you get the second and main ignition. Not good for accuracy so the 22 Hornet gets CCI Small Pistol Primers and problem solved, accuracy improved greatly.

The CZ 527 .223R is a standard Varmint Laminate with 24" 1:9 Twist factory barrel. I like it because of it's flat forend stock and large pistol grip.

On a side note my experiments so far with the new 30BR I tried BR4's but switched to Federal 205M's and found accuracy better, also got a big difference in POI with the same load plus increased velocity. Just part of experimenting.

Comment

I'll definitely give the 400's a go after reading your post. I've heard of the double ignition from reduced loads and I gather that it's going to give you the same sort of thing at the paper end of each shot. It's crazy how such a small change like a different brand of primer can make such a big difference to your groups, but we've all seen it happen time and again.
          I'm gathering that the 30br is a small primer cartridge? Like the 308palma?

Comment

Yep, the Lapua BR Case uses Small Rifle Primers like the 220 Russian, 6.5x47 and 308 Palma. Small Flash Hole too.

The 400's are worth a try as are the Federal 205M's if you have them.

Comment

G'day Scott and Matt,

It was good to meet you guys on Saturday at NARC, I'm sorry that I didnt have more of chat with you. Having taken Tom to the range for the first time, I didn't want to divert my attention from him for too long..

I hope you guys keep coming up. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to your results with the .223. I'm about to start playing with a 9 twist .223 Savage also. I mostly just want to see how tightly I can get it to group at 100. I'll also take it out to 300 for play.

I have some 69g Sierra BTHP , but I'm going to try and get some Berger 60g FB bullets shooting well first.

Good to meet you guys.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by DenisA" post=3683
                G'day Scott and Matt,

It was good to meet you guys on Saturday at NARC, I'm sorry that I didnt have more of chat with you. Having taken Tom to the range for the first time, I didn't want to divert my attention from him for too long..

I hope you guys keep coming up. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to your results with the .223. I'm about to start playing with a 9 twist .223 Savage also. I mostly just want to see how tightly I can get it to group at 100. I'll also take it out to 300 for play.

I have some 69g Sierra BTHP , but I'm going to try and get some Berger 60g FB bullets shooting well first.

Good to meet you guys.
                Yes hurry up and get my laser beam load sorted for that rifle.
                That is a tack driver and needs some attention SOON ! Such a shame its gathering dust in your safe.

@scottmatt
                Congrats on the shoot. Its a great little range.

What was his score Denis?
                I hope his another crappy shooter so I have some one to compete with :P

JH

I was too embarrassed by my own score to worry about his. I'm pretty sure he'd of had a good innings. Matt didn't shoot, think he was hungover.... Bahahahahahaha. Hope he has a shoot in a fortnight.

Comment

We'll definitely be back to shoot with you guys. Had a great time. I had the .223 with us but Matt wasn't doing to good after a week in the snow and he's a bit allergic to rain :lol: Hence the savage not getting a run. I've put some pics of my targets in the reloading section under the O'mark 308 thread. My scores weren't great but I was pretty happy with the elevation with the new load. Ended up with a 49 @ 53.1 . But it was my first time shooting prone at anything past 100m so I've got plenty of room to improve.

Comment

Well, Matty finally got to have a go at f class this week at Northarm. We were shooting 500m in prettywindy cconditions so I thought it was going to be interesting with the 223. But he didn't do to bad After I finally got the elevation about right on an empty range with no target. I calculated about 16 mao from 100m zero but was a long way off with it only being 11.5moa. Shooting off a bi pod he shot quite well on his first target with a few 6's but mainly 5 &4's. His second target started very well with two x.1 straight up as sighters. He then shot a 5 and realised a few people were watching and he crumbled under the pressure.
                  But I'm proud to say that they are both showing heaps of potential and Matty can't wait to come back for another go and is asking about membership as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X