X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyer HBC 155GR , 1:10 Twist 16.5 Inch Barrel

Gday all

just getting back into reloading for some target work and steel smacking,
    going to give the 155GR Dyer a go as it went pretty well from the NRAA loaded ammo.

the rifle is a Remington 700 Tactical with a 16.5 inch barrel which is a 1/10 Twist.
    i am using AR2208 and will post results as i go

cheers

Anthony

Be interested to see how you go with that combination.

Cheers,

AC

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      hopefully it goes ok , i got a couple of 0.6 moa and 0.75 moa groups with the factory loading so will have to wait and see.

starting at 44.0GR and working up in 0.5 GR increments until i see best accuracy or hit max (27.0C according to ADI but we will see) ,
      then i will fine tune the powder charge in smaller increments.

cheers

Anthony

Given the shorter barrel it may pay to try 2206H also as it burns a bit faster and will give you greater muzzle velocity.

I shoot the HBC out of long and short barrel 308's and always found the 2206H better in the short barrel rifles.

Nothing wrong with 2208 just worth consideration.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the info,

i am a bit time constrained for the next few months to play with it too much but i will definately keep that in mind.

cheers

Anthony

Got back out today with some interesting results
    the best being 46.1 GR with a group side of 20.4mm from bipod off the bench

as i went above this the groups opened up noticably so i think i will stay at 46.1 for a while.

also of not i have a misfire which has turned out to be a dud primer (FED gold medal Large rifle match)

cheers

Anthony

Comment

to bring this back up, i believe i have an issue with my scales , they are a cheap hornady digital set and i think they are + or - .2 grains either way .
      so i am in the process of saving for an RCBS Chargemaster combo as i do not have the patience or steady hands for my beam scales.

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
        BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by S12A" post=2014
        to bring this back up, i believe i have an issue with my scales , they are a cheap hornady digital set and i think they are + or - .2 grains either way .
        so i am in the process of saving for an RCBS Chargemaster combo as i do not have the patience or steady hands for my beam scales.
        This is where the ladder test comes in very handy. Essentially you load single rounds increasing the poweder in intervals (ie 45.0, 45.2, 45.4) so on the shoot them without adjusting your point of aim at 200-300m. They should string vertically but you look for where the point of impact groups best. This they tells you the point where changes in powder charge make the least impact on accuracy. Now you dont need to be as fussy with your loads and they will still shoot good.

Those digital scales tell bigger lies than a street kid and the beam scales are a lot easier to use than they should be. And they are a lot cheaper than those charge master thingies.

Comment

I don't even use my digital scales for weighing brass anymore. The worst $60 I have ever spent. My hands shake a fair bit to, but I found a way for it not to bother the beams to much and it's a lot less frustrating than having to re-zero the scales every shell.

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          nice. glad its working out for you! i am regretting buying the cheap hornady digital ones now. i think with the hundreds of rounds i am going through i will go to the chargemaster. but i am gonna be running factory ammo for a month or so till i can justify buying them. will at least build up some more brass

G'day Anthony,

I've got a 17" tube on my Tikka and with 155 AMAXs in front of 44.5gr of 2206H I have chronied 2900ft/s over several chronies. Might want to give that a go.

Zero.
        Sometimes life gives you lambda points. Just chill, once the bubbling stops s'all good mate.

Brotha's got spinners!

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice. Thanks for the info will look into it!
      Working...
      X