155 Grain in a 7.62x39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 155 Grain in a 7.62x39

So i have been reloading some of my 303 rounds using a 155 grain cast bullet and i'm just wondering if i can run that in my 7.62x39 because the book only goes to 150 grains ?

or do i have to buy a new mold for the 7.62?

Originally posted by Rat man407" post=46609
    So i have been reloading some of my 303 rounds using a 155 grain cast bullet and i'm just wondering if i can run that in my 7.62x39 because the book only goes to 150 grains ?

Have you weighed the projies? Often mold weight and actual weight vary due to different alloys.

Secondly what size do they come out of the mold at? Are they suitable for the larger dia barrel of a 7.62x39?

Thirdly, do they fit the mag or chamber?

Fourthly, if the answers to the above indicate you can, I would but drop down a tad further for starting weights.

Goodluck.

Comment

• Rat man407
      Rat man407 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Oddball" post=46611
      Originally posted by Rat man407" post=46609

Have you weighed the projies? Often mold weight and actual weight vary due to different alloys. (never tired before there turn out to be around 146-147 grains)

Secondly what size do they come out of the mold at? Are they suitable for the larger dia barrel of a 7.62x39? (there a .312 mold and i run them thought a .311 sizer and 7.62x39 and 303 both use .311)

Thirdly, do they fit the mag or chamber? (idk i will have to load a dumby round up and try)

Fourthly, if the answers to the above indicate you can, I would but drop down a tad further for starting weights.(why is that)

Goodluck.

155 sounds pretty heavy for a 7.62x39.

It may load and fire ok, but would it also have the ballistic arc of a bus falling off a bridge ?
    Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

• Rat man407
      Rat man407 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Scourge146" post=46626
      155 sounds pretty heavy for a 7.62x39.

It may load and fire ok, but would it also have the ballistic arc of a bus falling off a bridge ?
      the only factory rounds i have ever seen for then is 123 grains so not that much more

plus a 7.62x39 got a pretty bad arc anyway

How do you work out how far to seat the bullet ?

i have a few that have little groves in the tips of them is it reason to remelt?

there only going to be used for hunting

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Rat man407" post=46729
      i have a few that have little groves in the tips of them is it reason to remelt?

there only going to be used for hunting
      Creases generally indicate a md that is not hot enough or your lead is also not hot enough. Bad Ass Wallace is a casting font of knowledge, I haven't cast for 15 years at least.
Working...
X