Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 243 Sako & Hornady 58gn projectiles

Hi All,
    Just curious to see what type of accuracy others may be getting from 58gn Hornady Vmax & Zmax from their Sako's. I have an 85 Varmint Walnut due in the new year and an 8X56 Kahles ready to go aswell as 200 new Lapua brass, mostly for night shooting. Have another Sako 243 75 S/S with 3-10X50 Kahles thats shoots one holers with most weight projectiles all day. Have been reloading for 30 years and I will be sticking to 2208 and CCI 200 primers. Thought I might give these light pills a go as managed to get onto a bunch for a sweet price. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Jerry

I can't speak for the 243 however I use the 75gn vmax a hell of a lot in my 85 in 25-06 and they're very accurate and effective. I have had one instance of a blow up on the skin of a huge feral dog but it still knocked him down long enough for me to get to him and left a huge hole where it blew out the side. They're a great projie the vmax.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I ran a couple of boxes of hornady 53 molys through my .243 they were lightning fast but couldn't hit squat as poi changed by 7 inches and I wasn't expecting that much variation over my nosler 55's varmageddons. A last minute spotlight left me without my usual loads. They seem consistent enough out of my howa and I may buy a box of Zmax when I run out of 55's and 70's if they are still availible.

I have the SAKO 85 243 varmint and tried factory VMax 58's, they wouldn't stay together.

At 3925fps the light VMax sounds awesome and if you can get accuracy it would be an awesome varmint round, gut and skin all in one. I guess if you have a bunch, nothing lost but personally I figure the 243 is better in the 75-95gn range, accurate enough for varmints and good hitting power.

I run 95gn Nosler BT and 90 gn Sierra fmj's, on 2208, they give one hole groups less than 1/2" apart and both hit hard.

Comment

• Jerry
      Jerry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info tinytim, with any luck I will be able to play with the seating depth and powder weight to get them to group. I mostly use 87gn Hornady flat base spire points these days for everything, have about a few hundred 75gn Vmaxs left which I use as option B when I cant get the 87's.
      Plan to use the 58's predominantly for pigs over crop and stubble so will be able to place them where they count, if I dont have any joy then 75's, maybe 70's, will be my mainstay in this rifle.
      Jerry

I'd be interested to know how the 58's go on pigs. I had assumed they would just splinter, but that ain't necessarily so.
    I ran through 70's and 75's too, I ended up with 95's due to a lack of anything else, can't say I'm disappointed.

Comment

• Ed9362
      Ed9362 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the 58gn zmax over 16gns of trailboss

It works well on foxes and rabbits and is quite a bit quieter than full power loads.

Luckily the trailboss loads shoot to the same point of impact as my full power loads.

approx 1/3 or 1/2 way into the case neck, give or take to suit the chamber.
    in both sako and howa anyway.

Comment

• Walter White
      Walter White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I settled on around .120" jump in my 25-06 for a start. It sounds like alot and it didn't seem to effect the groups as much as I thought it might. I think the 25 cal might have a longer throat to accommodate the 120gn rn and similar which are available. I don't load for 243 so its interesting to know these things.

I use 58gr zmax in my howa 1 in 10 twist 243 with 2208 lapua brass and cci primers. Very accurate. They aren't run that fast but I get consistent 0.4 moa groups one node at 3380 the other at 3530fps. Seated with 0.244 of bearing surface in the neck.

Comment

• Jerry
      Jerry commented
      Editing a comment
      The 58's are seated abut 4mm into the neck, the throat on this is slightly shorter than my model 75 in 243 which is a shame as the 75's loads wont chamber in the 85.
      Jerry
Working...
X