243 case capacity table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 243 case capacity table

Help please < As the title says has anyone got or able to point to a comparison of 243 brass by brands,
    My particular interest is in the different capacity of NORMA /WIN/ And ADI>.
    A properly done chart would be the ducks nuts for my reloading.

Using the 243 out to 600 yds and further with 87 grn hornady .
    Rifle is Remington VSL in a heavy stock .....and does well enough with Norma brass / 43.7 2209 but I need to change brass and ADI seems the go.

Importantly too is ALL ADI 243 brass the same ?.
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Unwilling to fork out about $240 and put the 'tockely' nonsense to bed with a brand not listed?
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

ADI brass is pretty consistent and on the beefy side so capacity can be less than other brands.
      It is my fav for the cals I get brass for free (once fired)

I have never found much difference using diff branded batches of brass once settled on a charge so I would just test with your charge and a bit higher and lower.

Not likely to find a capacity chart as such and they say the water filling is the only way to get an accurate measurement to find the difference.
      I would suspect that ADI, Norma, and Lap would all be close but something like thin Win brass could have a noticeable difference.
      You can just fit a used primer in backwards and fill with an eyedropper for an accurate fill to weigh.

Comment

ADI brass is heavier than Winchester. Win about 160 grains, ADI about 183 grains. this is the weight of the empty cases only.
        I have loaded the same powder charge of 2209 (heavier than above) in both using 87 grain Vmax projectiles in 2 Tikka T3's with no problems.
        This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

TnX its about as I figured using my defunct bush maths.
          I took two fired in the same rifle cases > insert old primer arse about face > measure two loads of 2209 and gently slowly trickle one in each case.
          No rough handling or dumping to settle the powder I then gently drop < lower > a projectile in each case as they stand so it sits on the powder and measure the depth or overall length of each as a comparison .. A difference of around 120 thou or so can`t remember with out going back to the notes.
          The previously tried and tested accurate load of 43.7 grns in one case was the short one.
          The longer ADI identical load shot shotgun on the same day same range etc.

Eventually it looks as though I should drop back to say 42 grns as a starter in the ADI case.
          Should work out around 5% drop > less powder for a similar result.
          43.7 in ADI apart from being shit results was starting to have a bit of hard bolt lift and so forth although primers seemed not flat . well may be a little bit.
          Believing in wise people learn by experience but really wise people learn by the experience of others I asked what others know.

Tnx all.
          Last edited by NoFerals; 08-11-2021, 06:53 PM.
          [center]
          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFourThree View Post
            ADI brass is heavier than Winchester. Win about 160 grains, ADI about 183 grains. this is the weight of the empty cases only.
            I have loaded the same powder charge of 2209 (heavier than above) in both using 87 grain Vmax projectiles in 2 Tikka T3's with no problems.
            What is that in a percentage ? < my maths is shit >
            [center]

Comment

• MrCarbine
              MrCarbine commented
              Editing a comment
              12.568 % difference.

Weight will vary from lot to lot.
            Warning: just because one brand is heavier it does not mean it has smaller capacity.

Comment

Hi NF,

I load with both Norma and ADI brass and get similar results, using 43.5gr of 2209 I get good results from both brass brands (prefer them to WIN and RP).
              Checking both for speed I got the following averages:
              ADI - 3135 fps
              Norma - 3101 fps

Groups out of my Lithgow 102 were a little better with the Norma looking at my data, but both around 1/2” at 100 for 3 shot groups.

That was using 87gr Vmax pills. OAL was 2.665”

hope that helps.
              Cheers,
              Snowe

Comment

Originally posted by NoFerals View Post

What is that in a percentage ? < my maths is shit >
                Expressed AS a percentage difference ;

183 / 160 = 1.14375

ADI 114.375 % the weight of Win so 14.375% heavier.

Note : Old Win cases 164 to 166 grains New Win cases 158 to 163 grains based on those I have weighed.
                This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Old Post but wtf :.
                  It looks like 42.3 > 42.5 is about right at this point.
                  Gives good groups at 600 yds or more.
                  43.7 is quicker @ 300 yds but an inch and a half extra elevation does n`t solve the shotgun grouping.

NEXT Seating depth is it that fussy ? with 87 grn VMax.
                  Curently 15 thou jump seems ok.
                  [center]

Comment

Working...
                  X