Moly coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moly coating

I've been offered a large quantity of FMJ rifle projies from a deceased estate, but they've been moly coated, which is not something I want to mess with. Can anyone tell me whether it's easy, hard, or impossible to get the moly coating off once it's been on there a while? Thanks.

Try dropping some into a plastic jar with lid, put some unleaded petrol in there and shake.

If you put them in a tumbler they will coat everything in the tumbler, my thought is that the moly may come off with the tolulene in the fuel.

Usually the moly is coated on via impact of tumbling the projectiles in some moly and the particles are forced into the surface bond with the copper jacket by impact.

Others will probably have a better idea than me.
    The TRUTH is out there,
    the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
    We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
    That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

• Riz
      Riz commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds promising. I'll look into that.

I don't know how it was applied or how it comes off but why bother?
    I would just send them as it can't hurt and claims to do lots of good things.

Comment

Try Diggers Shellite
      I use it for cleaning metals all the time and it does not stink like petrol. You can get it from most hardware stores.
      Last edited by MrCarbine; 21-11-2020, 07:24 AM.
      If you're going through hell, keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Moly coating is fine just shoot them, less cleaning less fouling and no messing.

Comment

Personally I can say that I dont like the moly projectiles because its a little messy for me to load with and can rub off onto all sorts of places,
          do still have some projectiles coated, somewhere, and yes they shoot no different to uncoated.

Best of luck Riz
          The TRUTH is out there,
          the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
          We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
          That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

As some have suggested, I did consider just shooting them, but a lot of people now believe moly causes its own problems, such as moisture trapping next to the steel of the bore, and it's also claimed that using moly-coated pills makes the barrel unsuitable for uncoated bullets. I've no idea who's right and who's wrong, but I'm perfectly happy with regular copper jackets, so messing with moly looks like all risk for no meaningful gain. Thanks for the input, though, one and all; it's much appreciated. .

Comment

• MrCarbine
              MrCarbine commented
              Editing a comment
              I guessed that would have been the underlying reason for your question. A mate has been using moly on most of his bullets for the best part of twenty years. No ill effects yet. If it caused the problems you suggest it would have become history long ago.

Yeah, I tried some exy white powder lube that claimed to do lots of things.
            TBH, I don't know if it really did anything and the barrel was just as hard to clean as ever.

Does work well on the aluminium window slides though and lasts longer than other stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X