Cowboy loads jacketed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy loads jacketed?

When making cowboy rounds (low power) Can you use jacketed bullets or do you have to use full lead rounds

or does it just come down to using a low weight bullet?

Originally posted by Rat man407" post=43346
    When making cowboy rounds (low power) Can you use jacketed bullets or do you have to use full lead rounds

Lead only mate... Jacketed are a no no... They can be dangerous, copper jackets Ricochet bad and they destroy the targets.... Refer to the SAS manual...

Comment

Just to clear things up i'm not intending on using them to compete just while i'm waiting for my casting gear to show up

I want to make up a few rounds using the pills i got just to get a feel for the recoil if it's possible

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=43382
        Just to clear things up i'm not intending on using them to compete just while i'm waiting for my casting gear to show up

I want to make up a few rounds using the pills i got just to get a feel for the recoil if it's possible
        Use them on paper mate... Or at 50m+ on steel... I have been opened up by lead coming back from a plate at a SAS match... In fact most have... So for your safety and those around you, by all means do some test ammo, but dont shoot them at SAS distances shoot at 50m plus...

i don't even shot cowboy yet trying to find a local club that does

I'm just trying to work out a very light load for 25m rapid lever action fire

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=43393
        i don't even shot cowboy yet trying to find a local club that does

I'm just trying to work out a very light load for 25m rapid lever action fire
        Sorry, you said cowboy load... So I thought you where going to use them for SAS matches...

25m isnt that far for rifle rounds and they can still come back if your shooting steel targets... In fact its normally gamer loads (very low recoil rounds) that come back off targets more as the projectile rebounds rather than shattering...

http://sasa.ssaaqld.org.au/matchCalendar.htm
        Try the link above... Its a list of all the SAS clubs Aust wide with club captain contacts and shoot dates...

Originally posted by Rat man407" post=43346

When shooting Western Action, use the one round in rifle and pistol, there is a very low power factor, NIL< try using every day projectiles, Hawksbury River, Top Score, or West Coast use a nominal weight, 125grn, using 3.5 grn powder, Jacketed rounds are to expensive, MOST people use Copper WASH, they look like copper jacketed.
      On many ranges jacketed ammo is a NO , NO.

When loading your own, lead is great and most people who load their own use a common load, for rifle and pistol.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        SASS, not SAS, big difference, one play dress ups, the other win gunfights......

You are limited to lead projectiles, and also limited in shape and style as well. Been too many years for me to to recall them exactly.

Beware downloading with jacketed pills, as the co efficient of friction is higher, and chance of barrel obstruction are higher.....

You can't substitute simply between the two types of pils.

Will do guys

Comment

7 grains work no problem and there was less kick then the .22 so there pretty much perfect for what i needed

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!!! Have some fun with them.
      Working...
      X