Lever action rapid fire loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lever action rapid fire loads?

Does anybody use lower powered rounds for rapid fire rounds or do you all just use the normal round

for those that do downgrade what the best way to work out the load ?

Just use full loads and hang on. :P
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

lol that is what i do now but with a .44mag at the start you aim for the bottom and after 5 shots your off the top of the target

Whats the difference between a .44mag and a 44spec?

Comment

• Yoshie
        Yoshie commented
        Editing a comment
        44 specials are popular, but sometimes they don't feed reliability because they are shorter, especially in 94s. If you want to try some reduced loads, start at the starting load and work back half a grain at a time, try them out to make sure they leave your barrel. Trailboss is really handy for reduced loads.

try trailboss

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by richo" post=42666
        try trailboss
        X 2 I use this in my 30-30 and very cheap to shoot combined with cast projectiles, very accurate plinkers or small game.

Go to the Single Action section in your load data (I use the ADI manual).

For .38 I use 2.5gn AS30N behind 125gn proj. It's a very common load for Cowboy Action. I can just see the proj fly through the air it's so slow.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        For .357/.38 we use 130grain spartan RNFP (cowboy) projectiles with 4.7 grains of trail boss. Gives good accuracy out to100m (sub 6" with open sights) with low recoil and good reliability they are subsonic but up the load to case capacity if you need supersonic (always work up loads)

I've been told Trailboss is dirtier than AS30N. Have people experienced this?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=42948
        I've been told Trailboss is dirtier than AS30N. Have people experienced this?
        I use it with 130g and 165g cast pills, very clean burn with no ledding, no sooting. I was surprised with the clean burn and the accuracy was the biggest plus.

I've worked up some light loads for my Marlin 1894 .44mag,.... 7gr of trailboss with a 240gr Copper Hawk gave 950fps, with AP70N and the 240gr Black Hawk bullet 8.5gr gave 1240fps and 9gr got 1290fps but wasn't as accurate as the 8.5gr load.

I haven't shot these loads a lot so I can't comment on them to much!
      With AP70N I was trying to duplicate a black powder .44-40 load (200gr at 1245fps) but with a 240gr bullet.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by McQuade" post=43003
        I've worked up some light loads for my Marlin 1894 .44mag,.... 7gr of trailboss with a 240gr Copper Hawk gave 950fps,
        We are using the same load in the .45 colt shoots nicely but getting shooting on the cases and a small amount of blowback so safety glasses are a must.

I haven't found TB to bee too dirty and it cleans up easy enough.

does it matter what type of proj you use (FMJ etc etc etc)?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=43271
        does it matter what type of proj you use (FMJ etc etc etc)?
        It will make a difference to cost and lead bullets are normally faster than copper. Using a lighter projectile will also obviously have less recoil.

When I used to use a .44 revolver I found the max load of AP 70 and 240 gr SWC to have little recoil, so I would assume it wouldn't kick enough to slow down your shooting a lever. I have only ever used full power stuff in a rifle though.

the only problem is in the book it only has 185 grain lead pills with starting load of 6.2 and max of 7.8 so hopefully 7 will be enough to allow for the jacketed pill

Comment

Working...
      X