Good set of scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good set of scales

So i have reloaded around 30 rounds so far with the Hornady classic deluxe kit
    and pretty much everything is pretty good

expert for the most useless scales i have ever used

the things keep change on me sometime up to more then 1 grain and when your only got 1.5 grains to work with that can be bad

So i need something that works better prefer digital but open to anything
    budgets max of $300

Originally posted by Rat man407" post=42629
    So i have reloaded around 30 rounds so far with the Hornady classic deluxe kit
    and pretty much everything is pretty good

expert for the most useless scales i have ever used

the things keep change on me sometime up to more then 1 grain and when your only got 1.5 grains to work with that can be bad

So i need something that works better prefer digital but open to anything
    budgets max of $300
    For a digi the Gem pro 250 are pretty good.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/My-Weigh-GemPro-250-carat-x-0-01-carat-Compact-Jewelry-Scale-Jewelers-Digital-/281128003990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417488e996&_uhb=1

Or for a balance beam scale. like the Redding magnetic damping scale
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Redding-Model-2-Powder-and-Bullet-Scale-02000-/360728673870?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item53fd1abe4e&_uhb=1

Comment

The gempro 250 is the best digital scale you'll get in the $150ish price range. I've been using one for over a year and although it's a bit idiosyncratic it is superbly accurate (as good as most high dollar scales)

edit: damn skip is quick on the keyboard!

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by nuthead" post=42633
        The gempro 250 is the best digital scale you'll get in the $150ish price range. I've been using one for over a year and although it's a bit idiosyncratic it is superbly accurate (as good as most high dollar scales)

edit: damn skip is quick on the keyboard!
        I am Ninja :lol:

I have a few sets of "shooters" scales and I was not happy with them. My old Redding counter weight scales were more accurate but too slow.

I bought Kern scales from Morris Scientific and they are fantatic. Fast and accurate to .02 of a grain.

My scales were about $500 but you should check out Morris and see what they have.

I think many of the "Shooting Name" scales are just cheap crap rebadged.

Comment

for 1.30 in the morning you guys are quick i will check them out thanks

Whats everybody’s thoughts on the powder throw with in build scales like the chargemaster ?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The chargemaster is good (more than accurate enough for most people) - I have one of those too. Don't quote me on this but I believe some short range benchrest guys even use them. the gempro is cheaper, slower to use but several times more accurate

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Rat man407" post=42639
          for 1.30 in the morning you guys are quick i will check them out thanks

Whats everybody’s thoughts on the powder throw with in build scales like the chargemaster ?
          I just loaded up some 75 grn Amax in .223 tonight ( I used the charge master, throwing 22.5 grn of BM8208 ) I calibrate every time i use it and let set for 10-15 min to warm up ( funnily enough ) if you go using it almost straight off the bat ) She'll throw all kind's of charge's from .1 - .4 over what you want your charge to be :S ( Not sure if it's just mine but ) If i leave it to warm up i get almost no over throw's. ( there is the Macca's straw trick ... But i haven't tried that one. ) I got only 2 over throw's tonight ( no biggie ) Just tip it in the hopper and start again. The charge master's are almost 2x your budget. The Gempro will be a bit quicker then a balance beam, but in turn the balance beam is the KISS rule ( simple accurate and will most likely out last a digi scale )

Tonight i loaded up 60 round's ( all the same case weight 91.5 grn ) for the 400 yard shoot tomorrow. Coz i mainly shoot F class and field with this rifle it need's all the help i can give it Here is a little pic just for you

Waiting for my 80 grn VLD's to arrive as getting 75-80 Amax or 80 grn Nosler Custom comp pill's atm is a pain behind :S So i decided to buy some VLD's from Stuart and Annie.

atm I’m only reloading for my .223 and .44mag and i reload a lot of ammo for them so i want a bit of speed

but once i finish my .260rem build up i will need accuracy for LR shooting

i think i will just go with the gempro and put up with being a little slow

Comment

You could consider these.
          I've never been able to fault mine, which I have owned for something like 15+ years.

BBK II from www.pact.com

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=59

US$90 - still the same price as I payed way back then. Bought them direct.
          0.1 grain ( 1/10th) increments up to 750 grain.

Or, for $130, these which are compatible with their powder dispenser
          http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=58

Hope that helps
          49er
          This is true Liberty, when free born men, having to advise the public, may speak free. (Euripides 480 - 406BC)

Comment

Most cheaper electronic scales are accurate to +/- 0.1gr meaning you are only measuring loads to 0.3gr accuracy.
            That is pretty crap in my opinion.

Leaf spring scales will change with temperature and whether or not they feel like it.
            You could spend big money and get pressure pad scales but I think most have to warm up . And are still temperature sensitive I think?

Balance beam scales are simple and only require a level surface to work well.
            I measure within 0.1gr with mine quite fast and if was really anal could measure near perfect charges.
            I like my redding scales best but also think my rcbs 505's work well.

If you are serious about accurate charges fast why not get some cheap beams and invest your money in a http://www.harrellsprec.com/ powder thower and use your scales less?

I have one lined up for sub $200 and will be my next reloading investment.

JH

Comment

I have 3 different sets of digital scales including the gem pro and yes they work 'well', but my biggest 'criticism' is drift. Over a reloading session of a couple of hours they can drift (the gem pro that is) by .2-.3 grains. No this is no biggy with the larger calibers such as 338 lap etc, but in things like the .17 hornet or even the subsonic 300 blackout it can mean the difference between too hot a load or jumping out of the subsonic range.

FYI - in general I let my digital scales warm up for a hour and then calibrate and no, there is no magnetic or electrical field interfering with them, or at least I have tried to make sure that is the case, as best as I can.

No it could be just a dodgy set of gem pro scales ..who knows. But I am now using a set of trued (by Scott Parker) RCBS 1010 scales which are more accurate (IMHO) and more importantly more consistent than any of the digital scales I have. I also would also say they are a lot faster to use than digitals as you can very quickly trickle up the exact charge. Yes they were more expensive but they are much easier and more importantly more consistant so I doubt my digital scales will see much action anymore.

For what its worth..I am not a bench rest shooter looking to squeeze the nth degree of accuracy out of every load, more someone who is willing to work up a good load and is after that load to be consistent. Saying that, I do weigh every charge rather than use a powder thrower, although that will probably change for the larger calibres as small differences in the charge make less of a difference in the performance.

A set of standard 1010 scales can be had for around the 300.00 mark, but may be overkill.but plenty of other options in the beam scales from rcbs and redding.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                El Skippo - OT butif your having trouble getting the projectiles you are after..try reloading international..I have used them for projectiles that are not available in Aus or those ones that no one ever seems to have in stock and they are rather good to deal with..no all the rules about importing and not overly expensive. More importantly they actually perform in regards to getting the gear to you. They handle all the export approvals for you and all you need is to send them a copy of your b709.

I generally buy from my LGS as I figure its worth supporting them, but sometimes they can't get stock or the items are just not imported..at the same time I put them onto these guys and they now purchase some stuff from them that they can't get for their own person use..

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by mogster" post=42686
                I have 3 different sets of digital scales including the gem pro and yes they work 'well', but my biggest 'criticism' is drift. Over a reloading session of a couple of hours they can drift (the gem pro that is) by .2-.3 grains. No this is no biggy with the larger calibers such as 338 lap etc, but in things like the .17 hornet or even the subsonic 300 blackout it can mean the difference between too hot a load or jumping out of the subsonic range.

FYI - in general I let my digital scales warm up for a hour and then calibrate and no, there is no magnetic or electrical field interfering with them, or at least I have tried to make sure that is the case, as best as I can.

No it could be just a dodgy set of gem pro scales ..who knows. But I am now using a set of trued (by Scott Parker) RCBS 1010 scales which are more accurate (IMHO) and more importantly more consistent than any of the digital scales I have. I also would also say they are a lot faster to use than digitals as you can very quickly trickle up the exact charge. Yes they were more expensive but they are much easier and more importantly more consistant so I doubt my digital scales will see much action anymore...

(snipped)

Hi mogster -yep the gempro will drift but its obvious when it does because when you lift the pan off the scales it will show a different (negative) value - then it's just a matter of hitting the tare button again to reset it.

like I said it has its idiosyncrasies but imo there's nothing better for around $150 (and they're accurate to 0.02 grains -about a single kernel of powder- as good as most lab scales costing $500-800)

I've heard the tuned 1010 scales are excellent though (can't beat gravity for being reliable)

I've just got a set of the GemPro 250's. They seem quite accurate, I haven't tried testing the calibration weight over time to check the drift issue as above though.

My only gripe with them is they are slow to read, when trickling powder in you have to wait about 5-6 seconds afterwards for the reading to update. The cheats way that i've learnt is to lift the tray off and put it back down again to force a refresh.

Comment

Hi Guys and Gals,
                What do you mean by "tuned" in the 1010's. Is it just check weighing using the weight supplied? Or is it something else?
                Regards
                Les

Comment

• El-Skippo
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by LuckyLes" post=42920
                  Hi Guys and Gals,
                  What do you mean by "tuned" in the 1010's. Is it just check weighing using the weight supplied? Or is it something else?
                  Regards
                  Les
                  I'll let spud explain
                  http://youtu.be/IG49AA1OKIk

I use 2 sets... I have just bought a Lyman Pro 500 ( balance beam) and a Hornady Electronic Scale GS-1500.

I have just finished loading 180 rounds for the .243 using 41grains of ADI 2209.

I use a powder thrower to get me close then I use the powder trickler to get the last grain or so. I use the electronic as the primary scale as the powder trickler sits over it well, then every 10th load I double check on the beam scale. I use a loading block that holds 50 rounds, after they are all powder filled I randomly select a few and double check there weights.

Must say for the grand total of $150 having the 2 scales to check each other is good. The reason for the new scales and 2 at that, was my previous set of balance beam scales would be up to a grain out some times, but showing the same reading... Took me a little while to find but I did eventually.
                Hello.

Comment

Working...
                X