Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please Head space variation in fired brass

Hi All,
    I'm trying to full case length my 223 brass and have been advised that the first thing to do is to take a fired cartridge and remove the spent primer. Then I was told to get a measurement with my Hornady head space kit and then set the die up to eventually get.002 less than the measurement. My problem is that I'm getting a variant of measurements from 1.454 to 1.458 in my fired brass with the head space gauge. This has confused me as I don't know which measurement to start with. Could anyone please help with any advice as it would be appreciated. I'm aware that Sinclair makes a gauge to accurately measure the rifles head space . Is this the best avenue to pursue?

Regards Rod

Is it that you have just measured the length of them and some are longer than others?

Now you have to trim the long ones till they are all the same length as the short ones perhaps,

I dont reload so this is from what I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by rodshovell1973" post=42428
      Hi All,
      I'm trying to full case length my 223 brass and have been advised that the first thing to do is to take a fired cartridge and remove the spent primer. Then I was told to get a measurement with my Hornady head space kit and then set the die up to eventually get.002 less than the measurement. My problem is that I'm getting a variant of measurements from 1.454 to 1.458 in my fired brass with the head space gauge. This has confused me as I don't know which measurement to start with. Could anyone please help with any advice as it would be appreciated. I'm aware that Sinclair makes a gauge to accurately measure the rifles head space . Is this the best avenue to pursue?

Regards Rod
      Rod what sort of shooting are you doing mate, ie target or hunting?
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi
        Mainly hunting.

Thankyou to all for the replies it is appreciated

regards Rod

Comment

Maybe the cases just need a trim?
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Varminator" post=42534
          Maybe the cases just need a trim?
          Head space is the length from base to shoulder as Jasmay pointed out. The case length is irrelevant.

Ivé always neck sized & never bothered with bumping shoulders (both hunting & target rounds) except on some hot loads. I don't even own a FL or bump die for my .222 & have been loading that for about 25yrs.
          For normal loads it should not be necessary. (except in a pump or lever for easy feeding) Although some cartridges are more prone to it than others, depending on shoulder angle.
          So unless youré having trouble chambering rounds I wouldn't be too concerned with it (in a bolt gun) Just re-read your last post.
          That is when to set your dies, so that those tight cartridges will just chamber. (which should be your longest ones)

Mick.

I have been using the largest measured case that still chambers and setting my die up to bump it back around .002". My understanding is the cases that are still undersized will fire-form to the largest measurement eventually.

Pete

Comment

Working...
        X