180gr Barnes TSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180gr Barnes TSX

Hi all I've recently purchased some 180gr Barnes tsx for my .30-06 to use for sambar deer I've got Ar 2209 and Ar 2208 on hand and would like to use one of these powders if possible I've heard that because of the solid copper construction these projectiles are longer and need to be seated deeper potentially compressing conventional 180gr loads and due to the longer bearing surface can cause excessive pressure. My question is does anyone have any experience with these projectiles and either of these powders and what would you recommend as a load to work up from. I am already loading 55.5gr of 2209 under 180gr nosler ballistic tips with good results do you think it would be safe to back off a couple of grains and work up from there?

Cheers portaggression

Gday Port,
    I have run those same pills in my 300WM in the past before changing over to sierra pills. I didn't change my seating depths and have never heard of having to seat them deeper. I had no noticeable difference in accuracy from loading them in a conventional fashion.
    Others may differ but just my experience. I was running 2209 as well, I changed over to Sierra as they performed just as well but at a fraction of the cost of Barnes.

Comment

Thanks NT scout well I emailed adi yesterday and got a reply last night whilst reloading for my .45-70 they recommended to me to reduce the load by 4% due to the increased length so instead of using 55.5gr I've backed it down to 54.0gr and left my dies set up as they were they're just under a compressed load with adi recommending a max load for the Barnes tsx 180gr with 2209 in .30-06 as 55.2gr as opposed to 57.5gr. Anyway thanks again for the reply I keep you posted with the results. I've attached a picture of the loaded round beside a nosler 180gr ballistic tip for comparison.
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,

I know this thread is about a year old but just wondering how you went with the Barnes loads?

I have just bought some 180gr TTSX to load in 30-06 with ADI2209 so am keen to hear how you went .

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by portaggression" post=40895
        Thanks NT scout well I emailed adi yesterday and got a reply last night whilst reloading for my .45-70 they recommended to me to reduce the load by 4% due to the increased length so instead of using 55.5gr I've backed it down to 54.0gr and left my dies set up as they were they're just under a compressed load with adi recommending a max load for the Barnes tsx 180gr with 2209 in .30-06 as 55.2gr as opposed to 57.5gr. Anyway thanks again for the reply I keep you posted with the results. I've attached a picture of the loaded round beside a nosler 180gr ballistic tip for comparison.
        Im not sure if I am misinterpreting something here or not??

The load for a 180gr proj already in the ADI manual.
        If your using a new projectile the imo work up again!

To me your trying to take short cuts in the load process, if I use a new proj I always start from scratch!

just saying
    Working...
    X