Lee collet die inconsistent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee collet die inconsistent

Hey all I have been using a lee collet neck die. Tonight I noticed when seating the projectiles there were inconstant pressures required to seat them and a few could be turned and pulled out by hand.

What would cause this neck tension issue as I presume there go my accuracy out the window with the different tensions iam I correct ?

Should I just buy a bushing die and be done with it.

Cameron

Originally posted by Cameron22" post=39032
    Hey all I have been using a lee collet neck die. Tonight I noticed when seating the projectiles there were inconstant pressures required to seat them and a few could be turned and pulled out by hand.

What would cause this neck tension issue as I presume there go my accuracy out the window with the different tensions iam I correct ?

Should I just buy a bushing die and be done with it.

Cameron
    Have you adjusted it?
    There isn't much that can go wrong with them, strip and clean it and make sure none of the fingers are broken and the mandrel is clean and there is no crap in the taper. Other than that the collet works as you push the shoulder of the collet into the die. This drives the collet into the taper which will crush the brass to the set diameter.

If the die is OK it could be your brass ?? If it's lost it's spring the collet will close it but inserting the bullet will just open it again, no tension. You can check that with a set of vice grips, set them to JUST crush the neck, if the neck doesn't spring back you need to anneal it or bin it.

PS, if your bullets can fall out, they can fall in as well, that's a potentially extremely dangerous situation.

Comment

When I first started using a collet die for my .308 I had a similar problem, I put it down to a rough finish and the collet would catch sometimes.
      I got in the habit of rotating the case and sizing a second time. The die has since worn in and functions properly now.
      If in doubt whether a case has sized, hold a projectile at the case mouth to check, it's a real pain after the case is primed and full of powder.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        What did you find Cam, the suggestions are all good and dandy but the actual cause (and solution) would be most valuable.

If you are mixing different brands of brass or mixing once fired with 3rd or 4th fired brass you can get varying neck tension due to varying hardness of the brass so try and batch your brass if you are using a mixed bag.

Another thing which may have caused inconsistancy is the amount of pressure used on the the press arm while sizing the cases so try and get a good feel for your press and keep consistant pressure. As mentioned above polishing the collet is a great mod that will definitely improve consistancy so give it a go.

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Too save the typing.

Watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTUgytUGnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHR43TN5Zk

I put it down to crappy brass "fedral" after 3 reloads they lost the tension.

A nice big box of lapua brass came today so will see how we go.

Thanks for the replies and help guys.

Cameron

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cameron22" post=40076
        I put it down to crappy brass "fedral" after 3 reloads they lost the tension.

A nice big box of lapua brass came today so will see how we go.

Thanks for the replies and help guys.

Cameron
        Nothing wrong with Federal brass. Been using that stuff for 12 odd year's.
    Working...
    X