357 Magnum Hunting Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 357 Magnum Hunting Loads

What projectiles/loads is everyone using for 357 Magnum while targeting pigs?

I've used Highland HX factory loads, worked a treat at 50 m, not sure how they would be at greater ranges though.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      I think they were. 157gn

is the 2205 the best choice or the cheapest good choice. It does seem to me that one powder costs as much as another. So would any rifle powder do? also rifle powders burn slower than pistol powders is this correct.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      2205 is generally ok but I couldnt find an accurate load (iyou also cant seem to generate the velocity of W296) - I found some accurate full house loads in W296. L'il gun is supposed to be the best for high velocities and low pressure though

I either use 158gr speer deep curls or 158gr hornady XTP's for hunting

158gr Hornady XTP over 17gr of Win 296.

This charge weight was a book load from the 80's. I've run this load in revolvers and levers chambered in 357mag for many years. No pressure issues and it hits pretty hard out of a lever gun on the hogs.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Dino67" post=37481
      158gr Hornady XTP over 17gr of Win 296.

This charge weight was a book load from the 80's. I've run this load in revolvers and levers chambered in 357mag for many years. No pressure issues and it hits pretty hard out of a lever gun on the hogs.
      thats a very similar load to what I'm using (I'm guessing yours is a marlin as well?) - 16.6gr of W296 for a 158gr XTP FP or 158gr Speer Deep Curl

15.5gr of W296 for a 158gr XTP HP

I have some American Eagle 158gr SP waiting to be used on pigs. I have read that they go around 1800 fps and they are accurate in my rifle.

I will probably stick with these for hunting pigs and only reload sub sonic stuff for cheap quieter ammo. W296/H110 and lil'gun seem to allow the most powerful loads.

Laflamme, it's best to stick with powders used in reloading data, don't just use any rifle powder. AR2205 would be the best Aussie powder for hunting loads. Pistol powders burn faster than rifle powders.

Comment

I used to run this load in an L frame Smith & Wesson for Metallic Silhouette. By chance I had some loaded rounds left that must have been 30yrs old. Back then the load was 17gr of Win 296 in Norma Brass with a Taipan 158gr JHP. Ran then through my father's Rossi 92 and it put 5 under an inch at 50m with open sights. I was developing loads for his rifle using AR2205 and was never real happy with the accuracy.

I use Win 296 in 357mag and +P 45 Colt loads. It's hard to go past it as it often gives the best accuracy and highest velocity while burning very clean at the higher charge weights.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Dino67" post=37498
        I used to run this load in an L frame Smith & Wesson for Metallic Silhouette. By chance I had some loaded rounds left that must have been 30yrs old. Back then the load was 17gr of Win 296 in Norma Brass with a Taipan 158gr JHP. Ran then through my father's Rossi 92 and it put 5 under an inch at 50m with open sights. I was developing loads for his rifle using AR2205 and was never real happy with the accuracy.

I use Win 296 in 357mag and +P 45 Colt loads. It's hard to go past it as it often gives the best accuracy and highest velocity while burning very clean at the higher charge weights.
        thats interesting - I wonder if a full house load of W296 is an 'accuracy load' the same way that federal gold medal match factory 308 stuff seems to shoot well in most rifles regardless of type - I could never get 2205 to produce an accurate load either

I'm using Federal American Eagle 158 gr JSP.

My rifle is a Ruger Mod 77/357 with a 18.5" SS barrel.

I'll start reloading with AR2205 and 158gr FP soon.

So it goes Booom.

Thanks...

Comment

• Laflamme
        Laflamme commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Maverick" post=37506

So it goes Booom.

Thanks...

Have you loaded the 2205 yet? what kind of results did you get? Thanks.

• Laflamme
        Laflamme commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Maverick" post=37506

So it goes Booom.

Thanks...

How did that AR2205 load go with 158gr FP?

Here is a video of the 158gr American eagle fired from a 4" revolver, this should be similar to a rifle at 165 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KejbDokRo

Comment

Working...
      X