Home Made Case Lube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Case Lube.

I have seen and heard of quite a few recipes for case lube but they are not really what they are cracked up to be until I spotted this one on the web. I have a couple of commercial brands I use, I mainly use Imperial Sizing Wax, especially for forming cases.
    This one is made up of a mixture of one part liquid lanolin to 10 parts of isopropyl Alcohol (100% Iso. alcohol pure)).
    I mixed 40ml of lanolin to 400ml of IA. I warmed the lanolin and alcohol in a dish of warm tap water (NO flames) and then mixed together in a spray bottle and then shake the ingredients vigorously to blend.. When using it each time I give it (the mixture) a good shake and all is good.
    I laid out some brass that had to be formed and gave it a quick shot of the mixture, it was directed across the neck and mouth of the cases.
    I then headed to my press with my trusty stuck case remover kit and proceeded to form a couple of cases.
    Well you could have knocked me over with a silent fart the stuff works and works extremely well, actually it is smoother to use than the imperial sizing wax.
    I then proceeded to form 300 cases and it work marvellously, then I thought I would tempt fate and full length size some 45-70 cases and it had the same results.
    All in all it is great stuff and works out to about $7-$10 a litre depending on where you buy it from.
    I cannot take credit for this as I spotted it on the web and the bloke called it Bootleg Case Lube.
    I got the liquid lanolin from Super Cheap Autos (it's used for high pressure work) and the Isopropyl Alcohol (100%) can be found on the net and a few select pharmacies.
    I sprayed some onto the ram of my presses and they are also smoother to use.
    Give it a go I am sure you will like it.
    Moofy.

Moderators feel free to put this where it should go.
    45-70 Government. The only Government I trust........................Period.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

I have been using Lanox as case lube for several years with no problems.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

• 2208mate
      2208mate commented
      Editing a comment
      Good find,

I have been using the hard lanolin for ever, mostly for heavy duty case forming.
      Excellent, but needs a warm through in winter since it is too hard straight out of the pack.

I will try your brew, seems more season friendly.

FYI on some other Aus forums Lanolin is nicknamed 'Elephant Sperm', haha that's the plain speaking Trouty for you!!!!!

Comment

• moofy07
      moofy07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=37430
      I tried a mix of 15% lanoline and 85% Iso-alch a while back, 4l of alcohol cost me near $100 with shipping ( i believe the non aqueous stuff is controlled because of its use in drug labs) then within the first 20 cases I had 2 stick.

Since I changed to hornady one shot spray and redding wax I have never had another case stuck but the gets used for hand sanitising when hunting

Steve
      I am guessing your mix is too thick, I have seen formulas that are 8 to 1 and the Dillon formula I have been told is 12 to1, I thought that if I tried the mix half way between the two ie. 10 to1 it might be ok and it has worked out fine.

• moofy07
      moofy07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=37430
      I tried a mix of 15% lanoline and 85% Iso-alch a while back, 4l of alcohol cost me near $100 with shipping ( i believe the non aqueous stuff is controlled because of its use in drug labs) then within the first 20 cases I had 2 stick.

Since I changed to hornady one shot spray and redding wax I have never had another case stuck but the gets used for hand sanitising when hunting

Steve
      Hi Steve,
      You can pick up the Iso Alcohol (100%) on the web, I bought 5 litres for under $60 delivered, my daughter does air brush painting it is great for cleaning sprat guns etc. actually it is great for cleaning just about anything.
      It can be bought at 1 litre at a time.

Do you think the ratio of iso to lanolin would be different for anhydrous lanolin which is very thick as opposed to the liquid lanolin? Im pressuming you have the one produced by lanotec.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I cant answer for BT but you can always melt the thickest stuff and add the thin stuff till you think you have a winner, add more later if you want. And Beeswax is a good start for for mixes like that too, part of Dubbin.

2 stroke oil is a darn good substitute too.

Comment

I agree with Bt energetics . Anhydrous lanolin in castor oil works ok as a bullet swage lube and a sizing lube because it don't detonate under high pressure . Now detonate don't mean it blows up in any physically harmful way , it just means it oxidises instantly under pressure to a black soot . Sizing cases is generally less pressure than swaging bullets . RCBS liquid case lube is all you need for sizing cases.

Comment

Or this, I use it as a rust preventative, smells better to the mrs

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20141004_214207.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	148840
        Vermin culled 2015 -
        Vulpes Vulpes: 3 (never enough, but doing my bit)

SSAA S&F

Comment

PM sent
          Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

Working...
          X