dented brass - unusable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dented brass - unusable ?

I've acquired some used .308 Winchester brass for my first attempt at reloading. After cleaning I've discovered that most of them have a small dint about a cm or so down from the neck of the cases. It doesn't look really bad but being my first attempt, I'm wanting to be certain before proceeding with de priming and resizing . Pic attached. Thnx in advance for your help.
    Attached Files

No problem at all. That will come out on the first fire.

Comment

• moofy07
      moofy07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Blackadder" post=36664
      No problem at all. That will come out on the first fire.
      I agree, the dent will be gone after the first firing. :P

The dents are usually caused by too much lube, as said previously they will pop out once the case is fired.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

those dents dont look like lube dents to me- more like impact from hitting something during ejection- possibly a scope mount?
      any idea what they were fired in?

and yes- they will be fine for reloading, and the dents will disapear on firing.

stephen
      all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Load away mate but I dont the think they are from to much lube they look a bit mechanical to me .
        Regards

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by [email protected]" post=36689
        those dents dont look like lube dents to me- more like impact from hitting something during ejection- possibly a scope mount?
        any idea what they were fired in?

and yes- they will be fine for reloading, and the dents will disapear on firing.

stephen
        Not sure what they were fired from, they are apparently once fired but were very dirty n tarnished when I got them. It took about 8hrs in my tumbler to get them in the condition in the pic

Yeah sorry didn't see that tiny little pic in the bottom of the post sounded like a standard over lube prob. :lol:
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Looks like there was a bit of crud in the chamber of the gun that fired them. So long as they are only dented they will be fine to load.
        This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Looks like they were fired in a 7.62mm BREN gun. Can you show us the base of the projectile, and primer strike?

As others have said, they will blow out, but i would chamber check the fired cases to make sure they are sized correctly after being fired in at least some form of semi auto etc.

Cheers,

Oddball

Comment

Check that they are single flash hole cases before you size/deprime them.

Comment

They were fired out of an M14 rather quickly, and yes it is a scope mount ding! once fired new brass left in a liner and forgotten about until I was having a clean up, you could have just sent me a PM. They are perfectly reloadable. Right on Oddball

Comment

• sn@abrc
                [email protected] commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Robar" post=37544
                and yes it is a scope mount ding!
                FIGJAM!!
                nice to get it right for once :lol:

stephen

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Robar" post=37544
                you could have just sent me a PM. They are perfectly reloadable. Right on Oddball
                Thanks for the clarification, however I wanted to he certain before attempting to reload them, and thought a number of unbiased opinions wouldn't do any harm before contacting you with any perceived issues.

Fan tastic, no problems I probably should have run them through the tumbler, but they were already packed.
              Chewtah, comment about the ding, to technical for me I just shoot, and clean up!

Comment

Working...
              X