Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS30N for 147gn 9mm?

Hello all,

and picked up a Dillon square deal. Also got some 147gn projectiles, and was planning on loading them in front of some AP70. Instead they said that it was sold out, wouldn't be in for months, but that AS30N (US name Clays) or Bullseye would do the trick. Went with the AS30N.

I took the advice, came home and went to look up a load. Can't find anywhere that recommends it. Some randoms on forums have some loads, but all with caveats that make me pretty nervous.

Has anyone here ever used AS30N before behind 147gn jacketed projectiles? I've done plenty of rifle loading before, but first time with pistol and there are some alarm bells ringing in the back of my mind.

Cheers,

Jba

Originally posted by Jba" post=36013
    Hello all,

Went down to a certain shop in Margate and picked up a Dillon square deal. Also got some 147gn projectiles, and was planning on loading them in front of some AP70. Instead they said that it was sold out, wouldn't be in for months, but that AS30N (US name Clays) or Bullseye would do the trick. Went with the AS30N.

I took the advice, came home and went to look up a load. Can't find anywhere that recommends it. Some randoms on forums have some loads, but all with caveats that make me pretty nervous.

Has anyone here ever used AS30N before behind 147gn jacketed projectiles? I've done plenty of rifle loading before, but first time with pistol and there are some alarm bells ringing in the back of my mind.

Cheers,

Jba
    I wouldnt......

Without looking at ANY references, AS30N, is way way fast, and "danger Will Robinson....", is flashing through my mind.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay Oddball. Do you have any other suggestions that don't involve AP50 or AP70? I was surprised to hear that AP70 was out, as I thought only AP50 was suffering with a shortage. Is Bullseye no good either?

Originally posted by Jba" post=36013
    Hello all,

and picked up a Dillon square deal. Also got some 147gn projectiles, and was planning on loading them in front of some AP70. Instead they said that it was sold out, wouldn't be in for months, but that AS30N (US name Clays) or Bullseye would do the trick. Went with the AS30N.

Cheers,

Jba
    Please, what type of pistol are you using, revolver or semi?
    How much Ap30 did they sell you, do you own any 231????
    Do you have any projectiles less than 147?? 135 or 125?? and not jacketed, what are you going to use the loads for, practice or what type of match????

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Folks,

Thanks for the good advice. I'm still tossing up what to do here, and you've given me a lot to think about.

These rounds are for IPSC and will be shot out of a semi-auto Walther PPQ. This is the first pistol powder I've bought, and I only took 500g because I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

I had my heart set on the 147gn because folks said that would lead to less muzzleflip.

If I do try it (or take it back) I'll post here and let you know.

Okay well I'm going to give this a crack.

3.0gn of AS30N behind a 147gn JHP with OAL of 1.15". The crimp seems pretty light on (although it is definitely making a difference), and I can just make out the outline of the bullet in the brass (just ever so slightly thicker up top where the impression of the bullet can be seen).

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Bah, just realised that my primers aren't seating flush and it's changing my OAL. The manual doesn't list any way to adjust primer seat depth. Does anyone know how to do this on a Dillon Square Deal?

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, so you are using JHP's not lead projectiles???

As a general rule, you need @ 0.5 extra powder in a jacketed load than you do with a lead projectile, using the same weight. So, your stated load of, 147JHP/3.9gr AS30/1.15"oal, should be on the lower side of 125pf. That would be a good starting point. Will fire, but may not cycle the gun reliably??? Still a good place to start, IMO.

I would not be spending the extra $$$ on JHP. Lead would be perfectly fine. 135LRN my favourite.

What susan said - carefully lol. But go slow and you'll be sweet.

You just have to get used to the feel of how the press is meant to operate - this will come with time. As you're pushing the arm forward to seat them and it gets to the top of the stroke, you should feel a slight resistance then just move your weight a little more on it and you'll feel the primer 'clunk' home. You will get to know if its seated properly....probably arent pushing quite hard enough to get past that slight initial resistance.

Comment

I am just in the process of using up the remains of an open box of 147 grn copper washed RN prodjies from another project. I use AP50, for all pistol reloading, data was hard to find ADI 4th edition makes reference to 148 grn pill using 2.9 grns AP50 should make 750fps, this is for a .38 super, gave it a try yesterday and it wont' cycle the action. I will ramp up a couple different loads this morning and test. Normally I use 4.00 grns for both 9mm & .38 super behind 125 copper washed JRN, perfect nice comfortable load. The next data I could find same book was 147 grn pill using 4.8 AP70 seems to be a big difference in charge?I know its a differnt powder! any suggestions.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Robar" post=36466
        I am just in the process of using up the remains of an open box of 147 grn copper washed RN prodjies from another project. I use AP50, for all pistol reloading, data was hard to find ADI 4th edition makes reference to 148 grn pill using 2.9 grns AP50 should make 750fps, this is for a .38 super, gave it a try yesterday and it wont' cycle the action. I will ramp up a couple different loads this morning and test. Normally I use 4.00 grns for both 9mm & .38 super behind 125 copper washed JRN, perfect nice comfortable load. The next data I could find same book was 147 grn pill using 4.8 AP70 seems to be a big difference in charge?I know its a differnt powder! any suggestions.
        for AP50 with the 147grn CMJ RN's I would suggest ~3.2gn-3.3gn of AP50 will get a PF of about 130. depends on barrel of course.

Well, I knocked up a couple more batches of the 147 RN using AP50? finally settling on 3.5 grns cycles the action, nice firm punch, as accurate as my normal normal load which is 4.00 AP50 behind 125. groups around 2'' at 25m could be tighter if I concentrated, however I was short on time. :P

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Robar" post=40575
        Well, I knocked up a couple more batches of the 147 RN using AP50? finally settling on 3.5 grns cycles the action, nice firm punch, as accurate as my normal normal load which is 4.00 AP50 behind 125. groups around 2'' at 25m could be tighter if I concentrated, however I was short on time. :P
        Sorry to drag up an old thread- but I found this very useful as AP50 is all I can get my hands on and I have 5000 124gr copper plated RN projectiles to play with. I couldnt find much data for AP50 and this type of projectile, so a bit relieved to find people using it successfully.
        Out of interest can I ask what your OAL was with the 125gr bullets?
        I was a bit concerned about how 'peaky' AP50 looks in the ADI chart (ie. quite low starting pressures and the highest max pressures, within a small load range)- and also the conflicting data ( 125gr lead RN- max reccomended 3.5gr with 34800psi).
        My bullet - Berrys RNHB has a thicker plating and theyve suggested to use mid range FMJ data.

• dansedgli
        dansedgli commented
        Editing a comment
        What about this AP50 like this guy. AP50 is available from the looks of things. I bought a few containers a month or so ago. Winchester 231 wasnt available from my usual LGS or the one I found the AP50 at. I liked win 231.

Originally posted by Robar" post=40575

Can't edit, just went back and read Susan post " 1" @ 25m, Jeez I'll have to pick my act up!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Robar" post=40578
        Can't edit, just went back and read Susan post " 1" @ 25m, Jeez I'll have to pick my act up!
        What are you drinking so early in the afternoon, IT was a quote from System that I was using, it is he that can shoot a 1" group at 25 metres, I have trouble seeing the target at 25 metres, let alone shooting a 1" group, your safe.

system wrote:
        I use 3.2gr AS30N with 125gr (L) SWC in my 9mm grouping <1" at 25yrds.

I have also used between 3.6-3.8gr AS30N with 145gr (L) SWC without accurate results.

Guess you right about can't see look at the time 16.53 up to about number 4 by now usually start @16.00 each day just to be sociable.

Comment

Working...
      X