Howa seating depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howa seating depth

Hey crew just a quick question, what's the mag length on a howa 1500 varmint .308win doing a rush job for a mate on loading up some hunting loads for him.

Generous!

From memory my 155gr SMK load is 72 or 72.5mm O/A & they still go in the mag.

Rush job?
    No working up?
    Not knowing how deep the throat is?
    Not a good/safe way of doing loads.
    Even reduced loads can show pressure if they are jammed into the lands.

Do you have a comparitor?
    The throat depth in mine is at 54.75mm.
    Knowing Howa's stringent QA, they will all be within a pooftenth of that.
    If you keep the Ogive length at 54 or less you should be OK

Mick.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it's not ideal but he is going away this weekend and I can't get my hands on his rifle. Got the cases charged with 43 gr 2208 for a 150 gr sierra which is below a starting load according to ADI. I have a few remington core lockt 150's should I just load up to their length maybe?

Yep Factory ammo for this gig. Never fast track, or short cut load development, it just doesnt end well.....

I took a newby hunting on his first trip. He had developed a nice accurate 308 load with a BT, however, when we got to the property and he went to load up, they would not fit in his mag. his load development had been at a range that didnt allow magazine fire, so had always single loaded, and never used the mag. I cringed watching him knock the BT back with a pocket knife.....

Whilst not a dangerous situation, it certainly was far from ideal....

Cheers,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      150gr pills are not likely to shoot very well in a 1:10 twist Howa & as others have said, loading below minimum load can sometimes be more dangerous than loading above the max.
      It can cause a double flash which gives a huge pressure spike.

Don't mess with it. Wait & do it right.
      The Howa will shoot best with pils above 155gr (168 - 175 preferred, assuming its a fairly new model with the 1:10 twist) & depending on projectile choice will probably like a jump (Ogive to the lands) of between 0.010" - 0.030"

Mine shoots 155gr SMK's nice & consistant out to 1000yds but they spin drift heaps due to being over stabilised by the 1:10 twist rate.
      165gr Gamekings make a great all round hunting pill & the 168gr Amax's are a good long range hunting pill in the Howa.

Mick.

Yeah all very good points, maybe i will just tell him to grab a few boxes of factory until we can do a proper job. I agree with the 1:10 twist i would want to be running some 175smk's but for the sake or getting a feel for the rifle and because we are just going to be plinking at an assortment of animals, the cheeper game kings may have done the trick. it will be interesting over the next few weeks to see how the howa compares to my 700. it better not out shoot mine haha

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Rob.308" post=34762
      Yeah all very good points, maybe i will just tell him to grab a few boxes of factory until we can do a proper job.
      Good idea
Working...
X